Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2011, 09:50 PM   #1

cell phone boosters

anyone out here know of a cell phone booster that can actually work in a 5th wheel...ive been looking them up on the net and am more confused than ever..any information would be appreciated...thank you all
deke rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:30 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Times 2. I would love to know if they work also.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:43 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

The one from Verizon works. I camp in private spot, no cell phone service. A 1/2 mile down the road, there is service. The guy just down the street, put a booster in his house, and he has service. all around his house now. I have to walk 100 yeards to be able to get his signal.

Now I said it works, but if you are where there is no cell service for 20 miles, I doubt it will help you. The ones I have checked on help in "fringe" areas. Since it plugs in the wall, and is not on battery, it has a more powerful receiver and transmitter in it. Hope that makes sense.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:19 AM   #4

They certainly do work if you're on fringe areas. I have seen them used in cabins, boats, etc. The good ones have a small indoor antenna, an electronic booster, and an outside antenna you mount someplace high. Once installed there is nothing to do on your phone, and more then one phone can take advantage of it. You just need to make sure your phone's frequency/band is supported by the booster.

The tricky part we ran into on small installations (80' boats) was getting enough separation between the indoor antenna and outside external antenna. When placed too close together you get a feedback effect. Which ticks off the cellular company cause it jams up their tower. (you may get a friendly visit like we did)

I see now there are new products that are self contained, I can't comment on those...
Old 07-18-2011, 08:25 AM   #5

Living in the sticks in central NY I had to do some research. What I found was to make use of a booster you first need to be able to get signal. You cant boost what does not exist. I had to climb on the roof with my phone to try to get at least one bar of signal. I could not. I finally had to get Verizons range extender which uses GPS and the internet to get 5 bars in the house and around the house perimeter. But I guess this would not be possible camping with no internet. But if you can get even a weak signal, the boosters do work !!
Hybrid21SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:42 AM   #6
Villa Estate 392FLFB

what about the 12v systems that they use in trucks that have an external antennae? they connect with blue tooth or have a cradle for a specific phone model.

I know when working as a land surveyor that in the trucks those were a lifesaver! on a 2 man crew neither of us could get service in the valleys but as soon as you put the cell in the cradle you had 3-4 bars and could make a clear telephone call. I know they are not cheap but they are worth it for safety reasons and that is why they have them.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:24 PM   #7

I've heard good things about Wilson Electronics but haven't use one myself. They have a full line of mobile and wired solutions.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:55 PM   #8

thanks alot for all the replys on the cell phone booster..we have the z-boost in the house and it does actually work..about 450 dollars...i saw the one from verizon and am kinda leaning that way...wilson has some good boosters too yes...ill probably go with the verizon seeing that thats the service we have...booster was 150 dollars but was told yesterday that he'd take off 50 bucks..again..to all of you ...thanks
deke rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops1 View Post
I've heard good things about Wilson Electronics but haven't use one myself. They have a full line of mobile and wired solutions.

I have a Wilson system set up in my truck. The unit I chose has a an antenna outside and inside and an amp in between. When we are driving, I drive, and my DW works on her laptop and cell phone during the trip, as she is a full time work at home person who needs 100% connectivity.

We did switch to Verizon to get better coverage from Sprint, and have found that the system typically gives a 2 bar boost to the broadband or phone signal.

There is no reason that the system couldn't be set up in the RV. When in the RV, we have been lucky. Here braodband card has a direct antenna input(which is rare) and she just connects the receiving antenna to the braodband card and often thats all that's needed.

BTW, my experience has been that the BIG antenna they offer does not work any better than the little 12 in one.

If you need more info ask, and I can also post pics.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:26 PM   #10

try CellPhone Mate

CellPhone Mate is recognized as leading mfgr. of amps. They even have 4G stuff now.

Cellphone-Mate
Sloopjohnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:19 AM   #11

buy the cell phone booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by deke rivers View Post
anyone out here know of a cell phone booster that can actually work in a 5th wheel...ive been looking them up on the net and am more confused than ever..any information would be appreciated...thank you all
Hey!man, I know a place, maybe you can go and take a look. that online shop sells a lot of jamming devices and cell phone signal booster, their site url is Cell Phone Jammer Kit - Mobile Phone Jammers - Cell Phone Blockers ,hope I can be of help.
Eveadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:56 AM   #12

I have the Wilson Home Office set up. I used it at Fishing Bridge campground at Yellowstone National Park last month.

This provided cellphone/wireless Internet service in an otherwise dead area. The yagi antenna is pointed approximately 215 degrees, towards a cellphone "tower" (pole actually) some 15 miles away, across Yellowstone Lake..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0098.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	6942  
wayne1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 10:13 AM   #13

Wayne could you provide a link to the antenna you used....

Tnx
Old 07-24-2011, 03:09 PM   #14

And please tell how you found that tower. What is the "aiming" process?
Jay Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:56 AM   #15
49 year camping veteran

I have a Wilson electronics unit I use in my SUV primarily for my iPhone.
It charges the phone as well.
For best service, use a Bluetooth headset and leave the phone in the cradle.

I bought it for my 4x4 excursions out in the deserts due to poor coverage. Glad to say I can head out there and completely lose the signal, but then turn on the booster and usually get it back.
It won't work if there is absolutely no coverage at all, but definitely peace of mind!

Oh, and the short magnetic antenna does work the best as previously mentioned. I think I got the package on amazon for under $200

For those really remote areas, that's why I have a SPOT satellite tracker as I'm often out by myself or just one vehicle.
http://www.findmespot.com/en/
Maxterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:25 AM   #16

this is off base. i switched my home phone to Verizon and take the unit with me. we find the unit can be put in a fixed location within the trailer and works well.
u still have to have a signal but it eliminates the cut outs due to moving around.
finding that i could take the home phone with me was a bonus.
voice quality is like talking on a regular land line. clear and no cut outs.
we have a portable answering machine that has phones with it. one line from the device hooks to that and the other i plug into my trailer phone jack. the portables and house phone rings with incoming calls.
cost? they gave me the device (just had to sign away 2 years of my life). service is $24/mo after taxes.
i ported my home number so it is listed
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:46 AM   #17

I wanted to quickly introduce myself. I work for Wilson Electronics. We make boosters for cell phones. I came across this questions and wanted to answer it. We have a couple of options you could use in a situation like this.

We have a SOHO 60 amplifier you can use, you would want to mount the antenna on the back ladder, bring the cable into the RV to the amplifier, then you would have another run of cable to a panel antenna you would want to mount half way in the RV facing forward. Depending on how strong or week the signal is, it can cover as little as 5ft from the antenna to 30ft. I will post a link to the amp so you can see the details:

Product Details

Please let me know if you have any questions and I will see what I can do to help.
GlenF. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:26 PM   #18
Anacortesians

We've just switched our service from Virgin Mobile (who re-sold Sprint) to Verizon, based on the much better geographic coverage. We went on oiur daughter's friends and family plan and don't intend to have data service.

In the last 8 years with Virgin, we've burned off about 50 minutes of air time, so we're not heavy users.

VM had the advantage that, for $5 a month, you got all but the taxes ($1) in minutes. Unfortunately, their coverage was so poor that in 19 days out last season, we didn't have service at a single site. Supposedly, VM uses Sprint's towers, so we didn't consider Sprint either.

VZ's Friends and Family gives us their coverage for $10 a month on daughter's account. We'll see how it goes this season. We're not planing on getting a booster if their coverage is as good as they advertise.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:21 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by F and E Damp
We've just switched our service from Virgin Mobile (who re-sold Sprint) to Verizon, based on the much better geographic coverage. We went on oiur daughter's friends and family plan and don't intend to have data service.

In the last 8 years with Virgin, we've burned off about 50 minutes of air time, so we're not heavy users.

VM had the advantage that, for $5 a month, you got all but the taxes ($1) in minutes. Unfortunately, their coverage was so poor that in 19 days out last season, we didn't have service at a single site. Supposedly, VM uses Sprint's towers, so we didn't consider Sprint either.

VZ's Friends and Family gives us their coverage for $10 a month on daughter's account. We'll see how it goes this season. We're not planing on getting a booster if their coverage is as good as they advertise.
Like the post by Jimh, yours is also off topic
Old 07-28-2011, 05:07 PM   #20

Hi guys

Sorry for the delay. We're now down at Fort Wilderness and took a "longer route" to get there.
Here is the link for the "system" ...:

Product Details

And here in the yagi antenna:

Product Details

Regarding the aiming process,
What I did, was to go on the FCC's website and search for cell antennas in the Yellowstone area. Gave me the coords and mapped it in Street Atlas, showed me where to point the antenna from where the campground was...

Once at the campsite, I went into the "test mode" on my Thunderbolt Android phone and turned the pole, which the antenna was attached to, until the strongest signal appeared...

The pole in the photo is 24 feet at attached with plastic ties...
wayne1 is offline   Reply With Quote