Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2014, 08:04 AM   #1

Cell Phone /Data Boosters

Can anyone share any successes with adding a cell phone /data booster?
I'm looking at Wilson Electronics units.

Two of our favorite places to camp have very marginal signals and due to our needing to keep in touch with my elderly mother prevents going there..
rlray42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:17 AM   #2

Twice in the past year have seen and talked with FT's who have long range WIFI set ant. One mfg(UKN) out of Ca. gives straight line , long distance 3+ miles. This unit is a flat sq. box like, that he attached to ladder.
The other is a french unit bought here in the states that is old tech., looks like a dipole ant. and is good for about 3mi.
The new tech. will enable you to watch movies etc. depending on number of users.
I am gathering data to adjust camper and WIFI for TV. Lots of luck.
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:20 AM   #3

I camp in northern Ontario and the cell signals are very poor in many places. I bought a booster like the Uniden UM50 or UM 60. I opted for the roof mount directional yagi antenna as there is usually only one "local" cell tower. Outdoor Yagi Directional Antenna 9 dbi 700-2500 MHz - Outdoor Antennas - Antennas - Accessories

I bought 100 feet of RG6 coaxial and run it on the ground under the 5th and up the ladder to the roof. I rigged a heavy board to mount the antenna so I can turn it and take it down easily. I haven't figured out a way to mount the coax to the roof without major work so I just coil the coax up and put in in the storage.

It gives us 3 bars where there is none with just the phone so it works. My DW has unlimited data so she tethers for emails. Its not fast but its faster than starting the diesel and driving to the town library just to connect to the internet.

2004 Ford F550 6l Lariat SuperCrew, Fontaine Bed,
Link Systems Air Ride
2011 Sterling 32RL with Michelin XPS tires
extremebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:55 AM   #4

Don't have any direct experience (yet), but I have been considering a system from these guys:

Cellphone-Mate CM2000-WL-45kit Dual Band Wireless Amplifier Kit (CM-2000-WL-45kit) from Solid Signal

They seem pretty knowledgable.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:24 AM   #5

***** for Wilson Electronics
Amazon.com: Wilson Electronics - Mobile Wireless - Cell Phone Signal Booster Kit for Vehicle: Cell Phones & Accessories

We get ZERO bars in south central Colorado,
3 bars with the Wilson.
The version we have uses a wired antenna that sticks to the phone, I turn WiFi hot spot on using PDAnet from
PdaNet -- Use your iPhone as a Wireless Router for your PC/Mac

which also allows me to tether to our laptop.
Which gives us voice and data at the same time with data speed near DSL speed!
Old 04-21-2014, 01:50 PM   #6
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by abjb View Post
***** for Wilson Electronics
Amazon.com: Wilson Electronics - Mobile Wireless - Cell Phone Signal Booster Kit for Vehicle: Cell Phones & Accessories

We get ZERO bars in south central Colorado,
3 bars with the Wilson.
The version we have uses a wired antenna that sticks to the phone, I turn WiFi hot spot on using PDAnet from
PdaNet -- Use your iPhone as a Wireless Router for your PC/Mac

which also allows me to tether to our laptop.
Which gives us voice and data at the same time with data speed near DSL speed!

I have also heard good things about wilson electronics. And PdaNet is great. I am grandfathered in on ATT unlimited data plan, and I use PdaNet all the time to tether my laptop to my phone.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:58 PM   #7

I have this in my Sunseeker

PowerMax 4KMR-30M 50dB Gain Wireless Cellular Repeater System - 3,500 Sq Ft Cell Booster

I am pleased with the results.
THarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
I have also heard good things about wilson electronics. And PdaNet is great. I am grandfathered in on ATT unlimited data plan, and I use PdaNet all the time to tether my laptop to my phone.

Tim
Cowracer brings up a new and troubling topic.

The BIG providers are eliminating their unlimited data plans.

Anyone know how to keep your old contract?
Ours is up in May, the only thing T is offering so far is “AT&T Next”.
Only new phones for $30 and up PER month, limited data!
Old 04-23-2014, 02:43 PM   #9

I work for ATT. The unlimited data plans have been gone for few years. If you have it now you can keep it. At least that what I was told. I dropped it anyway because after like 3mb of data used the speeds are lowered. It still unlimited but useless at that point.

2007.5 RAM 2500 6.7CTD G56 4WD
moorecrew02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorecrew02 View Post
I work for ATT. The unlimited data plans have been gone for few years. If you have it now you can keep it. At least that what I was told. I dropped it anyway because after like 3mb of data used the speeds are lowered. It still unlimited but useless at that point.
I to work for AT&T. I recently used a personal hotspot on my iPad (LTE) in Hot Springs and streamed a movie on Netflix no problem. Until the storm came in...
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:59 AM   #11
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorecrew02 View Post
Yep... If you have unlimited now, you can keep it. However, ATT has tried everything short of virgin sacrifice to get me off the unlimited plan. Actually looking at my usage patterns, I would probably be slightly better off dollar-wise changing to a non-unlimited plan, but I like not caring about downloading stuff, and being a bit of a thorn in ATT's side.

And the throttling thing only happens when you exceed 4mb two months in a row. I have only done it once, and I was sped back up after a rather testy phone call to ATT customer service.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Old 04-25-2014, 07:02 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
Yep... If you have unlimited now, you can keep it. However, ATT has tried everything short of virgin sacrifice to get me off the unlimited plan. Actually looking at my usage patterns, I would probably be slightly better off dollar-wise changing to a non-unlimited plan, but I like not caring about downloading stuff, and being a bit of a thorn in ATT's side.

And the throttling thing only happens when you exceed 4mb two months in a row. I have only done it once, and I was sped back up after a rather testy phone call to ATT customer service.

Tim
Did you mean to say 4GB?
Old 04-27-2014, 07:42 AM   #13
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
Did you mean to say 4GB?
Yeah. I meant GB. I still stuck in my TRS-80 days sometimes...

Tim

"Camper" 2016