Old 10-21-2013, 12:40 PM   #21

We use the onboard fireplace and an oil filled heater in the 'shoulder seasons' which will keep the main living area quite warm without issue. Luckily we have a 50A rig and when 50A is available we'll have no issues with tripping breakers. When on 30A (more common around these parts), we just have to remember to turn off one heat source before using another high draw appliance.

Winter camping will be a bit of a different ballgame because we actually want to use the furnace from time to time to help provide heat to the tanks to ensure they don't freeze.

We have several micro-furnaces but I personally don't like to use them all that much as I find they dry the air out. The oil filled provides a much nicer heat source.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
1 Beagle that will be missed (RIP Zeus)
another_newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:52 PM   #22

In my old Monaco it was a 50A coach and most of the time I used it in cold weather I had 50A at the pedestal. Even if I was on 30A, I always ran one in the bedroom area, it has a digital thermastat but due to where the furnace thermostat was it was up to a 10 degree difference on a windy day.

When the temps got even cooler and I am trying to concerve propane I would run a second one pointed at the front door/windshield. At that point the furnace only ran once or twice per hour depending on temp/winds.

I have yet to see how my new sanibel does as its just getting cooler. But with 50amp, the fireplace and a heater in the bedroom, I think it will hold out well and only use propane to augment the heating.

Old 10-21-2013, 01:08 PM   #23

Send a message via Skype™ to Chrisbrock
Again, why not just use the Heat Pump?

Mine puts off fantastic heat.
2003 Hummer H2
2003 IS300
Chrisbrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:24 PM   #24

Chris - Not all units have heat pumps. My Sanibel does not have heat strips in the AC units, but does have a 40k BTU furnace and a 1500watt heater as part of the fire place. Since I have not done cold weather camping yet, I am not sure if the bedroom area will need the secondary heat or not.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:50 PM   #25
Denver, CO

One of my previous units was a park model that had little electric baseboard heaters. Since I have 50 amps to burn (pun) I'm thinking of mounting several of these along walls and wiring to a new breaker in the dist box. should be a nice little project, maybe.

The 110 volt baseboard heater are pretty cheap at Home Depot AND even have thremostats. Running the wiring may be a bit of a project tho.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:51 PM   #26
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I first contacted the mfg and was told not to do it as it would void the warranty. As usual, I decided that no more than we experienced cold temps that much in FL, that I would risk it anyway. Unhooked gas line and electrical connections and pulled the entire furnace. Located the hot wire to the blower (I think it was red) and just jumped another red wire from the main supply panel to the switch and then to the blower. Doesn't alter the functioning of the furnace with the thermostat and just turns the blower on independently. Mounted the switch in the panel under the rear counter. Biggest problem was disconnecting and reconnecting the gas line as there is practically no room where it is located in our camper. Have only used it one night, but it worked flawlessly and kept the air circulating in the floor ducts as expected.
Thanks OC, I'll crawl around a bit and check it out...
Old 10-21-2013, 04:56 PM   #27

Send a message via Skype™ to Chrisbrock
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrostek View Post
Chris - Not all units have heat pumps. My Sanibel does not have heat strips in the AC units, but does have a 40k BTU furnace and a 1500watt heater as part of the fire place. Since I have not done cold weather camping yet, I am not sure if the bedroom area will need the secondary heat or not.
Ok thanks for the information. Why would they not include a head pump option in every unit?
2003 Hummer H2
2003 IS300
Chrisbrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 05:00 PM   #28
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisbrock View Post
Ok thanks for the information. Why would they not include a head pump option in every unit?
$$$$$$$
Old 10-21-2013, 05:40 PM   #29

Quote:
Again, why not just use the Heat Pump?

Mine puts off fantastic heat.
Heat pumps work well when it is above 40 degrees outside. After that, electric heat only comes from a resistance heating element in the system or some other source. They are great in the South, where winters are mild but up North, they will not get you through the night.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 05:56 PM   #30
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
No clue but neither of my current A/Cs have them and neither did my pop-up's aftermarket A/C.