Old 10-21-2013, 07:17 PM   #31
Average Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisbrock View Post
Again, why not just use the Heat Pump?

Mine puts off fantastic heat.
I think I have the same heat pump as you. I checked the specs and it's good to 30 degrees. After that it'll blow cool/cold air.

Southern Maryland and Beyond!

MrJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:09 AM   #32

All electric heaters are 100% efficient and they all produce the same amount of heat for the same amount of electricity used. 1500 watts input = 5,280 BTUs of heat period. Doesn't matter what device you use Eden Pure or milk house heater. Same output. Drawbacks to using electric is there is no heat circulating in the underbelly from the from the furnace. If you have to pay for your electric you will find it's cheaper in most cases to use your furnace..

Old 10-23-2013, 12:36 PM   #33

Already covered, its all down to $$$. Heat pumps cost more then standard AC, so that ups the overall cost of the coach. I think the average RV user is not going to do a lot of colder weather camping, so they would rather the money be spent elsewhere. I know friends that have already winterized their units and are done for the season. I still have 3 weekends left including thanksgiving weekend. So heat pumps being costlier to purchase or maintain is really an option for models aimed at full timers or cooler weather campers.

Based on the weather forecasted this weekend, I will find out how well the new camper does. I will have 50amp, so I plan to run the fireplace and will use the furnace. Depending on how well the bedroom area holds I may need to augment with my little heater for my bedroom. But we shall see.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:00 PM   #34
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTTOYS View Post
All electric heaters are 100% efficient and they all produce the same amount of heat for the same amount of electricity used. 1500 watts input = 5,280 BTUs of heat period. Doesn't matter what device you use Eden Pure or milk house heater. Same output. Drawbacks to using electric is there is no heat circulating in the underbelly from the from the furnace. If you have to pay for your electric you will find it's cheaper in most cases to use your furnace..
Fixed that little problem by putting a switch on the furnace blower bypassing the burner.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:38 PM   #35
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTTOYS View Post
One other thing to consider is that the 1500 watts is at some fixed voltage, usually 120 volts. Since the wattage load is a fixed "resistive" load, lower incoming voltages (occasionally found at campgrounds) result in lower BTU output.

E=IR - volts=amps times resistance

P=IV Watts = amps times volts

A 1500 watt heater draws 12.5 amps at an incoming voltage of 120 volts.

120 volts /12.5 amps = a heater with a thermal circuit of a constant 9.6 ohms

So if the incoming voltage drops to 110 volts due to everyone on the camp ground's power circuit using electric heat and AC water heater, the maximum wattage available to make heat drops.

110 volts/9.6 ohms = 11.45 amps.
11.45 amps * 110 volts = 1260 Watts

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:20 PM   #36

I plug a HD 20A extension cord into the 15A at the pedestal. the cord is run through the bottom of the slideout where there is plenty of room so as not to crimp/pinch the cord. this has worked flawlessly for the past few years. I`m not sure how the pedestal is wired, but next year I think I am going to get a 50A-30A adapter to run the trailer and then a 30A-20A so I can plug the heater into the 30A. I will see how it works.
Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:23 PM   #37

The owners manual recommends against ceramic heaters because they do not provide ventilation, therefore humidity and mold may result
Old 10-24-2013, 02:02 PM   #38

If we don't open the queen bed on our surveyor, a 1000 watt ceramic heater will keep out camper nice a toasty, if we do open the queen fold out bed, we have to use the propane furnace to keep it warm due to the heat loss through the canvas. This was my first and last hybrid...

2004 Surveyor SV 261T
2011 Nissan Armada
sself1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:27 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by sself1219 View Post
If we don't open the queen bed on our surveyor, a 1000 watt ceramic heater will keep out camper nice a toasty, if we do open the queen fold out bed, we have to use the propane furnace to keep it warm due to the heat loss through the canvas. This was my first and last hybrid...
Our first camper, Kodiak 214 was a hybrid.

We hated getting caught in the cold rain having to open it up when we returned from camping to avoid mold!
Hellwig Sway Bar 7272
Equalizer Hitch system
Long Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:53 PM   #40

no matter how you do it 1500 watts of heat producing appliance is still 1500 watts
you may find a better distribution from say ceramic vs oil filled ,but a 1500 watt resistance heater with a fan will probably be your best bet.
brianj

take us
tncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote