Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2016, 11:21 AM   #1

Chairs

Sometimes I think I come up with the stupidest questions. But this one matters.....

We've had one actual trip in the 5'er. Now we need to cut weight and space. Not drastically maybe, but something has gotta go.

DW and I are in a knockdown, dragout, in your face, spitting, punching, shouting match over..........CHAIRS! (no we ain't, but I got your attention). She has FOUR (count 'em, 1, 2, 3, 4) of those zero-gravity chairs. She has 2 straight back folding chairs, and 3 of those bag/folding chairs. I asked her what the HECK? (I shoulda used a different tone, just a suggestion for your newly weds).......

She thinks that we NEED these 'in case someone comes to visit'. I asked her if she thought that the Mormon Tabernacle Choir was coming? Or her high school class??? (That led to the punching, to be honest! )

I think we need two chairs because we have two butts.

I want a LOT of visitors. Y'all are all welcome. But I figure you will bring your own chairs. OK, OK, I'll agree to no more than two of those bag chairs, just so you won't have to sit on an ice chest (which is not a bad thing, IMHO).

These things are not eating that much weight, but they're killing the basement space!

So how do y'all handle this? Do you carry enough chairs for guests???

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 11:26 AM   #2
(Dry Huunday)

Nope. No way.....you aren't draggin us into your losing battle!!!

Well we carry 4...2 lounging types and 2 more upright. I am told that is all we need....

So yes if we come to visit we will bring our own chairs....and maybe extra!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 11:28 AM   #3

Now that's funny the wife and I just went thru the very same thing and for the record I WON ( but don't tell her that ) I took out the zero gravity chairs and only carry 4 bag chairs but they are bigger ones from Cabellas
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 11:29 AM   #4

Oh great. Now I'm the bad boy for not providing for my guests!

I can see it now......"Yes Dear. Yes, you were right, dear. Yes, we can go get a used church pew for big families to sit on. Sure, get one more big chair cause it's on sale".

Sigh.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 07-13-2016, 11:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreiHunde View Post
Nope. No way.....you aren't draggin us into your losing battle!!!

Well we carry 4...2 lounging types and 2 more upright. I am told that is all we need....

So yes if we come to visit we will bring our own chairs....and maybe extra!
X2...that's about right, especially if you're storage space or cargo weight is limited
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 11:31 AM   #6
Site Team

When we traveled we always seemed to have more chairs than we needed. We are a family of 5 but most of the time the kids were off doing something else so we had extra. They were all bag chairs though so they didn't take up much room.

We always seem to be able to find enough seating for everyone. Between the chairs, the picnic table, coolers, tree stumps and the trailer steps there is always a place for everyone.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 11:32 AM   #7
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Oh great. Now I'm the bad boy for not providing for my guests!

I can see it now......"Yes Dear. Yes, you were right, dear. Yes, we can go get a used church pew for big families to sit on. Sure, get one more big chair cause it's on sale".

Sigh.

Funny thing is "we" decided that there was no need for 4 dinette chairs, so 2 stay at home.....
Actually that was a good idea....more room!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
Old 07-13-2016, 11:34 AM   #8
(Dry Huunday)

Of course this is another reason we have to have "extra" chairs....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10402905_10209170318521220_2414686300391623148_n.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	114025  

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
Old 07-13-2016, 11:36 AM   #9
Site Team

I usually carry a zero gravity lounger and enough bag chairs for the family members accompanying me on the trip and maybe one more in case one breaks, more for that reason than for potential company.

Other campers will usually have their own/same, that they can bring over to the campsite.

Now if you are expecting drive in guests (non-campers) then you may want to carry extra for them, as they probably won't think to bring their own.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 11:44 AM   #10

WM, as usual, your answers make the most sense.

I think that on this first trip, the chairs were for our various kids, who were driving in to visit and camp with us. So she took more. BUT, she is adamant that she is still going to take enough to be a good hostess (she is a good southern lady and not providing for guests would mortify her) no matter who shows up, and that she will cut the weight somewhere else if I just give her time.

So, excuse me, but when she found out I 'aired' this problem online, I now have to go find a steak for this black eye..........

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 07-13-2016, 11:53 AM   #11

I usually have two nylon-webbed folding lawn chairs (yep the old fashioned kind) along. Lightweight! That's it!

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 12:02 PM   #12

I carry two Zeros and two bag chairs.

Zeros stay with the trailer, bagged chairs for when we go some place and know we will need them or for a couple of visitors.
Old 07-13-2016, 12:28 PM   #13

We carry 2 zero gravity chairs and set them up in the Clam screen tent, and 2 bag chairs for the beach or guest any more visitors than that can use the picnic table ! But in your case .......the wife is right !
Butch Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 12:44 PM   #14

Wait for her to go shopping or something and then loose the extras.

Old 07-13-2016, 12:50 PM   #15
Mod free 5er

We carry 4 rocking chairs, get 2 out and leave the other 2 in the basement drawer. We also have 2 zero gravity chairs we leave home due to the weight and space. Would sell both of them cheap but if we get no takers, will give them to the oldest son when he comes home from Anchorage in Oct.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 01:13 PM   #16
Frog-Toberfest Organizer

2 zero gravity chairs and two bag chairs. We used to have more bag chairs but they wore out and I was waiting for a sale. Oops I missed the sale. We get by and we are a family of 7. The picnic table, cooler, ground (ok the rug) usually works for us.
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum fifth wheel hitch V2
Days camped '16=43, '17=47, '18=57 '19=47 '20=47 '21=64 '22=62 '23=72 '24=0
Electra glide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 01:19 PM   #17
Just A Member

Honestly this is one of the biggest reason we bought a TT and not a 5ver. I have a topper on my truck and all the extra gotta have stuff goes in there.
We carry 2 large zero gravity chairs and 4 extra folding chairs plus 2 bag chairs. Just in case. Party at our site!!!!!
2013 Silverado 1500 4x4 6.2L Max Tow
EDABEUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 01:40 PM   #18
Site Team

This will probably hijack the thread, but I see how everyone has a zero gravity chair in their RV, it seems. A good one is hard to beat, and I lost three by default to females.

The first one I had, and was also the first one in our camping group several years ago, I ended up bragging on how comfortable it was. I let one of my friends use it, and she pretty much laid claim to it for the entire weekend. I just went ahead and told her she could have it, and I would get another. (Came from Sam's Club)

The funny part of this story is, when we were packing up to leave, her husband came over with his wallet in hand. He asked me how much for the chair, which I thought was odd, since I had gave it to his wife. Evidently, she had forgotten to tell him that I gave it to her, and she just loaded it up in their basement storage. Rather than argue with her over it, her husband was trying to keep peace with everyone and try to pay me off over on the side, since he thought she was just taking/stealing it. Once I refused the money and told him it was a gift to her....you ought to have seen the relief on his face. We still laugh over that one to this day.

The replacement for my gifted chair, then got taken from me by my own mom. We live beside her, and during a family firework show one evening, I pulled the chairs. including the gravity lounger out of the camper so family members would have a place to sit while watching the fireworks. Mom ended up in the gravity lounger, and to this day, it's up at her house, where she sits in it while reading or knitting outside.

My third one (second replacement), my daughter laid claim to. It no longer resides in the camper, but she allows it to get loaded if she is going to be attending also.

I did end up with a fourth LSU one as a gift to me, that everyone knows is mine but it's not near as comfortable as the ones from Sam's Club.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 01:51 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
Wait for her to go shopping or something and then lose the extras.

You're a divorce lawyer that needs business, clearly............

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 07-13-2016, 01:55 PM   #20

WM, we are not far apart and need to meet someday!

I live next to my aged mother as well! Talk about a challenge. And my daughter is here visiting from Colorado Springs and heard the discussion about this thread with me and DW and said "I can help get rid of two of the zero gravity chairs if you want, I'm leaving for home in the morning".

I never said I would get rid of TWO of them. They are uber comfortable! But I don't see the need to provide another two to guests............I use them when I'm not visiting, and have a newspaper over my face. They're not really conducive to guest visiting.

None of which matters to DW. So I guess we'll have lots of chairs if anyone needs one.

P.S.
You can't hijack any of my threads. "Going off on a tangent" is often where I pick up neat tidbits. I know, it's not how this place works........but it fits my scattered brain well!!!

FROG AR-0019-242