Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2011, 03:54 PM   #41

honeywell

Any thoughts or experence with the Honeywell 2000I .
Claims it runs @ 2000watts with 2100 watt surge.
quiet and affordable saw it on line for just over $400.
4:10 rearend - Roxy the puppy when allowed.
41 Days camped in 2011 and counting.
rbarrieau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:11 PM   #42
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbarrieau View Post
Any thoughts or experence with the Honeywell 2000I .
Claims it runs @ 2000watts with 2100 watt surge.
quiet and affordable saw it on line for just over $400.
it's gotten terrible reviews on other forums, especially RV.net's Tech Issues forum, the most active forum on generators.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:27 PM   #43

when there is no power no one will complain. We lost power the last storm, for 4 days. No one complained, my neighbor has a honda 5000 inverter model. He told me if he had thought it out, for $299.00 vs what he spent for the few time he uses it $299.00 was the winner.
2001 H-D Dyna
Honda 2000i
Champion gen 4000
buccello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:57 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by dretired View Post
Is that 2000 going to run my a/c and some other stuff at the same time ???
no this generator will not run your a/c !! I use a honda eu3000i it runs my a/c and tv when i use the regular RV cord but if i use a lighter household cord (for distance) it wont run the a/c, tv at the same time.
The honda eu3000i is the "cadillac" of generators! it is super quite (insulated housing).it has electric start with optional remote start/stop. However it is a little pricey at approx $2500 but like its been said a trillion times before "you pay for what you get"
My brother has got the eu2000i for his remote cabin use (no a/c). It is a gas miser and supplies his electrical needs without complaining!!
07 kawasaki brute force 650i

Wildwood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:25 AM   #45

At this point, i am more concerned about doing any damage to the electronics, circuit boards, etc. So .. I hear the term "clean power" used and sine wave.. what exactly can i buy ?? with out doing an overkill on something that i may seldom use ???
dretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:55 AM   #46

The "what generator" will always spark debate. How often and where will you use it are key. Some parks don't allow them, and some don't allow use after certain hours. I use mine 3 times a year, at the NASCAR events, and a few times at the house. Another factor is weight of the unit. The champion I can lift easily by myself. And lastly is cost, what do you want to pay for what/how you plan to use it. I have used my previous Briggs for 4 years and the champion for 2, and I have not had any issues with appliances failing or not working. Generator debates will always be around, but it's personal preference in my opinion.
kaferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:56 AM   #47

i like pure sine wave. the circuit board in ur frig, furnace, and hw heater come off the dc side. u have an extra layer built in to protect them. lights and DC motors don't care. the converter, microwave and air conditioner are direct connect. i have run for a week on a conventional gen without problem.
after hurricane rita, i ran a flat screen tv, 2 freezers, a frig, some lighting, and a computer on a conventional gen off and on for 2 weeks. i would have run my well but i had too much damage out there and the lines were long for parts.
if u were going to run continuously for months, i would be concerned abt the voltage and frequency variations taking its toll. for a week here and there, i wouldn't think it would hurt u.
the conventional generators have improved over the years. the one i bought in the early 70's doesn't have nearly as steady an output as the one i bought in 2004 (improved governor).
one of the nice advantages of the inverter models is that u can sync more that one.

if u bog down the conventional gen, u r going to experience low freq, low voltage, and low current.
if u bog down a inverter (if it doesn't cut out), the current and voltage are going to drop as well; freq should be maintained. if the inverter model has a battery, that can smooth this out.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:02 AM   #48

i like koferman's answer.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:09 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaferman View Post
The "what generator" will always spark debate. How often and where will you use it are key. Some parks don't allow them, and some don't allow use after certain hours. I use mine 3 times a year, at the NASCAR events, and a few times at the house. Another factor is weight of the unit. The champion I can lift easily by myself. And lastly is cost, what do you want to pay for what/how you plan to use it. I have used my previous Briggs for 4 years and the champion for 2, and I have not had any issues with appliances failing or not working. Generator debates will always be around, but it's personal preference in my opinion.
Which champion model do you have ?? I couldnt see a park not allowing them IF they lost power themselves, Most of our "camping " will be at rv parks, campgrounds, with power , and hot showers/restrooms anyway . The only time, i could think of using a generator is: when we are traveling and cant make to a campground with power, due to weather or tired of driving , and pulling into the far corner of wally world for the night .
Old 09-08-2011, 07:17 AM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry to be so oblivious to these things, but do people run generators (outside of built in units) for an overnite stay in Walmart ??? I haven't done a stay at Walmart (yet), but when that does happen I plan on running off of battery power for the stay. When traveling between campgrounds that have power, I don't even carry my generator.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:24 AM   #51

AND..... Thanks to ALL of you for the input, ideas and opinions..We are going camping till sunday..On the shores of lake huron, If... any of you ,can do a reverse rain dance for us , Please do so.. the remains off tropical storm lee are still hanging around for a few more days !!
Old 09-08-2011, 07:27 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Sorry to be so oblivious to these things, but do people run generators (outside of built in units) for an overnite stay in Walmart ??? I haven't done a stay at Walmart (yet), but when that does happen I plan on running off of battery power for the stay. When traveling between campgrounds that have power, I don't even carry my generator.
My thoughts are: IF its summer time and 85 + degrees , it would be nice to run the A/C and be cool...
Old 09-08-2011, 07:34 AM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dretired View Post
My thoughts are: IF its summer time and 85 + degrees , it would be nice to run the A/C and be cool...
Gotcha.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:53 AM   #54
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post

Same here, the Honda only goes if we are going to no powered campgrounds. Just one less thing to worry about being stolen. I do understand the sleeping with AC but you just have to rough it some times to remind us we are still human.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:13 PM   #55

Dretired- I have the 46514 model I believe. Picked it up at tractor supply for 299.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/champio...erator-4434023
kaferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:57 PM   #56

If you are just using it every now and then why spend $2000. I can get a lot of use out of the $300 one and when it goes out go buy another. Read the reviews Champion generators have plenty of good ones. Yes I would like a Honda, who wouldn't, but will only need one for emergencies, so I got a champion.
mstell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:56 PM   #57

I own a Champion and I'm just like you, $1500 difference is a lot of cash. I've owned the Champ now for 3 years and still runs like it's new. Loud as hell, but it does the job. We have a secret spot we go to when we dry camp and there isn't anyone else around. Personally it all came down to $$ for me as we don't take laptops with us while we camp. The Honda 2000 will run the a.c. in most campers but some require the hard start capacitor in order to do so. That's one thing I like about the Champ, it will run a.c. and microwave at same time without any troubles. Good luck in your decision.
justbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 04:05 AM   #58

Its still comes down to ...There is a small chance that i would ever need a generator for power.. If we cant make it to some campground that has power ..if i am too tired to go any farther or weather problems... losing power at a campground ?? Me trying to sleep in a 5th wheel when the outside temp is 85+ degrees outside in a walmart parking lot . without air .. No thanks... I checked out the tractor supply reviews on this generator 97 % positive ..for $299 !!! looks like i may get an early birthday present.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:50 AM   #59
Phat Phrog Phlunky

I figured I camp at race tracks about twice a year, I'm gonna be the quiet guy. Plus I can throw away 5 Champions before I'm out the same money as a small Honda/Yamaha.
Days camped in 2013 = 30 final.
Days camped in 2014 = 27 final.
igkra.com
essness is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags