Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2016, 11:32 AM   #1

Changing carpet to vinyl flooring

Recently purchased our first Motorhome. 2005 Sunseeker 2860DS. It's not new but in great shape. Think I would like to remove the carpet and install vinyl flooring. Considering the LVP (luxury vinyl plank), a floating lock together tile. Any tips or thoughts would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Mbcarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:45 AM   #2

We are considering the same idea. We have a center island and the floor has many different angles. Too much for us to do ourselves. Went to a reputable shop and they want $2,500 to replace 80% of flooring. We may keep the carpet for a while longer.
Big bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:51 AM   #3

That is the nice thing about most F/R TT-5wh,they have Vinyl under the carpet! Youroo!!
Old 05-17-2016, 11:52 AM   #4

We refloored our travel trailer out of necessity rather than desire (split floor) using 6" x 36" TrafficMaster Allure from Home Depot. Still a floating floor but the tiles stick together instead of locking together:

We were very pleased with the results...

The whole project is at Repairs - Vinyl Flooring Replacement.

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 02:47 PM   #5

Carpet to vinyl flooring

We also are going from carpet to vinyl. We toyed with the idea of using vinyl tiles but because there is a vinyl floor under the carpet (thanks FR) we can cut out the existing vinyl floor in one piece and use it for a template for the new sheet vinyl.
I've read numerous opinions about which is better. I think it depends partly on cost(if you have to get someone to lay it for you), partly on climate and partly on your ability as a jack of all trades. The one thing sheet vinyl has going for it is no seams thus no corners to curl or lift.
Good luck with the project.
Larry Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 06:15 PM   #6

We have installed "Traffic master vinyls plank " flooring on dozens of RVs and it is very easy to trim and fit around the angled cabinets in RVs . Tried the locking style sever years back and the are EXTREAMLY difficult to install in close areas in an RV. Traffic master is available at your local Home Depot.
hillsdaletc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 07:27 PM   #7

We (DH actually) just finished our motorhome. Unfortunately we didn't have vinyl under the carpet. He removed the carpet and vinyl then made a paper template of the floor. Taped the template on a roll end of sheet vinyl and cut it out. It is installed as a floating floor with quarter round nailed at the edges. We had considered Allure vinyl planks but were advised that with our crazy temperature swings here in northeastern Ontario that sheet vinyl would be a better choice. Very very happy with the new floor.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 12:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsmasma View Post
We (DH actually) just finished our motorhome. Unfortunately we didn't have vinyl under the carpet. He removed the carpet and vinyl then made a paper template of the floor. Taped the template on a roll end of sheet vinyl and cut it out. It is installed as a floating floor with quarter round nailed at the edges. We had considered Allure vinyl planks but were advised that with our crazy temperature swings here in northeastern Ontario that sheet vinyl would be a better choice. Very very happy with the new floor.
In my opinion it's the exact reverse. Here in Eastern Ontario, floating vinyl floors split by the boatload. When we talked to the dealer about replacing ours, he said that the installer would glue down the vinyl to ensure that it doesn't split again.

We opted for the TrafficMaster Allure vinyl plank flooring after a lot of research. This past winter I was in the trailer at the storage lot at 20 below; there were small gaps between the planks as expected and, as expected, they had closed up again when we brought the trailer home.

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 12:28 PM   #9

carpet to vinyl flooring

I can understand the problem JD and Beastlet had. That's why, in my original post I mentioned climate as one determining factor in choosing the right product.
I live in Victoria, BC and winter in Mesa, AZ so we aren't faced with extreme temperature swings. Even in winter Victoria rarely goes below freezing.

One more thing for Mbcarlin to consider.

Good luck and happy travels.
Larry Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 03:21 PM   #10

Our original vinyl floor lasted almost 10 years so if we get anywhere near that out of the replacement we'll be well pleased.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 12:04 PM   #11

How do you find the matching vinyl flooring if you want to replace the carpeted areas? We unfortunately don't have vinyl under our carpet GRRRR We have a 2016 Cardinal 3025 Dehco Trekk vinyl plank flooring. Anyone know where we can get this flooring?

Tags
flooring