Old 10-24-2012, 10:18 AM   #21

Talk about extremes, he starts his day driving a semi and then goes to driving a smart car. But I must say I love that he doesnt worry or even have to think about weight.

2003 Four Winns Funship 214 Deckboat - Hawaiian Breeze
Av8orLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:59 AM   #22

Have you seen the full size propane bottle and domestic size air conditioning unit attached tonthe semi?

No worry about cooking, heating or 100 + temps.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:47 PM   #23

I had a very similar thought (DREAM) if I ever won the lottery but instead of a full on Semi I would use the Internation CXT pickup.

From Wikipedia

The CXT is built on an International 7300 chassis and is equipped with the DT 466 diesel engine and is capable of towing up to 20 tons while its air-ride cab and individual bucket seats offer a smooth ride for the driver and 4 adult passengers. The CXT's interior includes luxury options such as DVD and satellite radio.[3] Materials for seats and other upholstery items included leather and ostrich skin. Mechanical features include air brakes, an Allison 2500HD automatic transmission, and 4-wheel drive. The CXT uses a Meritor MTC 4208 two-speed transfer case. The CXT gets 8–10 miles per gallon, and has a 70 gallon tank.[3] The CXT is priced from $93,000 to $115,000

2 Vizsla's Mizuno & Zeno, 1 Weimaraner Kayda

2013 Nights Camped 7
vizsla owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:20 PM   #24
Another rat in the race

I wonder if that is one of those driver owner setups around here there are some rig setups where the class A bus has a large enclosed car trailer that a driver and in some cases RN can live very comfortably.

A person I know very well that has this setup is a customer of my father's. The couple had a million dollar RV set up and when the husband got to bad to drive they hired a guy that travels with them. He drives the bus and when they get where they are going he pulls their car out and lives in the tow trailer (its as nice as my new trailer inside). He has regular days off, has a street legal dirt bike (I think that is his and it fits in the trailer), drives their car or they rent him one to drive, and if he needs to go home they will fly him home and back. Fast forward about 2 years now and the husband has died the wife still wanted to travel so the guy they hired has gone back to school and has his medical assistant lic.? but when she is parked she hires a medical service to check on her daily.

I asked her once, what happens when you can't go anymore, what will Jack (the driver) do? She answered oh he's like family and I have made sure he won't have to worry about that.

If you don't have much family it's a great gig. They travel around the country and Canada and are gone probably 9-10 months out of the year.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:08 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar3316 View Post
I wonder if that is one of those driver owner setups around here there are some rig setups where the class A bus has a large enclosed car trailer that a driver and in some cases RN can live very comfortably.

A person I know very well that has this setup is a customer of my father's. The couple had a million dollar RV set up and when the husband got to bad to drive they hired a guy that travels with them. He drives the bus and when they get where they are going he pulls their car out and lives in the tow trailer (its as nice as my new trailer inside). He has regular days off, has a street legal dirt bike (I think that is his and it fits in the trailer), drives their car or they rent him one to drive, and if he needs to go home they will fly him home and back. Fast forward about 2 years now and the husband has died the wife still wanted to travel so the guy they hired has gone back to school and has his medical assistant lic.? but when she is parked she hires a medical service to check on her daily.

I asked her once, what happens when you can't go anymore, what will Jack (the driver) do? She answered oh he's like family and I have made sure he won't have to worry about that.

If you don't have much family it's a great gig. They travel around the country and Canada and are gone probably 9-10 months out of the year.

I searched everywhere and can't find any openings in the classifieds for jobs like this. If you get a lead , let me know.
2015 Crossroads Zinger ZT28BH
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:53 AM   #26
daydreaming about camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by vizsla owner View Post
I had a very similar thought (DREAM) if I ever won the lottery but instead of a full on Semi I would use the Internation CXT pickup.

From Wikipedia

The CXT is built on an International 7300 chassis and is equipped with the DT 466 diesel engine and is capable of towing up to 20 tons while its air-ride cab and individual bucket seats offer a smooth ride for the driver and 4 adult passengers. The CXT's interior includes luxury options such as DVD and satellite radio.[3] Materials for seats and other upholstery items included leather and ostrich skin. Mechanical features include air brakes, an Allison 2500HD automatic transmission, and 4-wheel drive. The CXT uses a Meritor MTC 4208 two-speed transfer case. The CXT gets 8–10 miles per gallon, and has a 70 gallon tank.[3] The CXT is priced from $93,000 to $115,000

They are sweet. I have a buddy who had a F-650 (with a 5.9 Cummins, factory) that he used for hauling boats. Same idea, but the Ford's are much cheaper.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:51 AM   #27
Another rat in the race

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8

They are sweet. I have a buddy who had a F-650 (with a 5.9 Cummins, factory) that he used for hauling boats. Same idea, but the Ford's are much cheaper.
One of those are for sale out by me in yucaipa ca. Its red at a car consinement shop
Old 10-26-2012, 06:09 AM   #28

Wonder if there's a sticker on the back of his smart car that says "My other car is a big rig"
Old 10-26-2012, 07:21 AM   #29
Experienced Newbie

other than the obvious "trailer is not level" statement...

"... He should consider the EqualSwayPrideSley to put some weight back on the steering axle ..."

2011 Silverado CC/SB
2014 Cougar 31SQB
mhartzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:08 AM   #30

He's actually probably doing pretty good with that. I drove one of those tractors for about 750k miles and hand calculated 8 to 11 mpg depending on terrain usually loaded at 75k to 78k. You can pick them up used for sometimes much less than a new diesel truck and they drive like a car. Never having to worry about weight or power, priceless!