Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2018, 07:18 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to dsagal79
China Bomb got me.. now what?

Hi All,

The dreaded china bomb got me and so rather than make an insurance claim or any of that nonsense, I try to fix things myself. I am now faced with
1- where do I get the bottom plastic panels and wheel well covers?
2 - electrical issues that need repaired i.e. the electric stabilizer jacks don't work among other small items.
3- my heater won't work (not sure if this one is related but I hear the ignition attempts and smell propane but it won't start.

Any pointers in the right direction would be of great help in any of the areas!

Thanks and happy camping!

Dave
dsagal79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 07:45 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsagal79 View Post
Hi All,

The dreaded china bomb got me and so rather than make an insurance claim or any of that nonsense, I try to fix things myself. I am now faced with
2 - electrical issues that need repaired i.e. the electric stabilizer jacks don't work among other small items.
3- my heater won't work (not sure if this one is related but I hear the ignition attempts and smell propane but it won't start.

Any pointers in the right direction would be of great help in any of the areas!

Thanks and happy camping!

Dave

First thing I'd do is to have a Dealer look at the tire and see if there is a warranty claim to be made. If the tire was defective and failed due to workmanship and material fail, the damage is on them. File a damage claim with the tire mfr or US distributor.

If they get huffy, file a claim with your Insurance company and they will deal with the tire company. You could be looking at repair expense far in excess of your deductible. This is why you carry insurance (assuming you do).

If you do have insurance file the claim and your out of pocket will be the amount of your deductible. If you don't want to bother with insurance then why pay for it? At least raise your deductible and save some money on the premiums.

I retired from a tire company and we had an entire department that dealt with damage claims for tires that failed under warranty. Don't just assume you are screwed because the tire was made in China. It was imported by a US company and that's where the claim will be handled.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 07:45 PM   #3
Now a "Top Member"

Not sure I can help much, but some more info might be good. What kind of camper. Year, model, etc. When was the last time you used the heater? Have you tried to trace out the wires for the stabilizer jacks?
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 05:52 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
First thing I'd do is to have a Dealer look at the tire and see if there is a warranty claim to be made. If the tire was defective and failed due to workmanship and material fail, the damage is on them. File a damage claim with the tire mfr or US distributor.

If they get huffy, file a claim with your Insurance company and they will deal with the tire company. You could be looking at repair expense far in excess of your deductible. This is why you carry insurance (assuming you do).

If you do have insurance file the claim and your out of pocket will be the amount of your deductible. If you don't want to bother with insurance then why pay for it? At least raise your deductible and save some money on the premiums.

I retired from a tire company and we had an entire department that dealt with damage claims for tires that failed under warranty. Don't just assume you are screwed because the tire was made in China. It was imported by a US company and that's where the claim will be handled.
Thanks TitanMike, The camper is a 13 so the tires were older. The tread looked good and there was no dry rotting, so I assumed that they would be ok for another year. I don't think the tire manufacturer would do anything for them. I have also replaced the tires out of my own pocket because I was on a trip. Good point on why do I have insurance - for me, it is more of a total loss scenario. I don't like to use insurance for little issues, only for big ones when I really need it.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:03 AM   #5

This might help you with the fender replacement:

Lookup-our-skirts.com | RV Fender Skirts | Fifth wheel & Travel Trailer Fender Flares | Fender Skirt Fit Guides
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 06:26 AM   #6
"On the road again"

I had a tire blow out and cause about $1,200 worth of damage - and the tire dealer ended up paying for 100% of the repair then said they'd collect from the tire manufacturer. You just have to be persistent and not back down.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 12:57 PM   #7

Check the date of the tires. If over five years you may have trouble with a claim.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 01:19 PM   #8
D W

Given the tires were 5 years old, but what was your speed when it blew, and were you on concrete or asphalt? Not being nosey, a lot of readers like to register these statistics for future reference. I replace my tires every 3 years regardless of what the tread looks like.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 02:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Thanks TitanMike, The camper is a 13 so the tires were older. The tread looked good and there was no dry rotting, so I assumed that they would be ok for another year. I don't think the tire manufacturer would do anything for them. I have also replaced the tires out of my own pocket because I was on a trip. Good point on why do I have insurance - for me, it is more of a total loss scenario. I don't like to use insurance for little issues, only for big ones when I really need it.
biggest problem is the old tires . 5yr max on trailer tires . regardless of how they look . most like me will change out every 3 yrs and these are quality tires not the cheap china tires .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 04:14 PM   #10

Here is a link to check how old your tires are. https://recstuff.com/how-old-are-my-...-and-find-out/

Remember your tires may be almost a year older than the model year.
Around the Bend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 11:22 PM   #11

dsagal79,

As for your heater, clean the propane gas tube using «smoking pipe cleaner».
Bugs may have nested in there and thesaid nest will resist an air blow.
HerveVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 05:18 AM   #12

Quote:
The camper is a 13 so the tires were older. The tread looked good and there was no dry rotting, so I assumed that they would be ok for another year.
My 2014 had 2012 tires on them. You need to check the tires date.

spider webs can keep propane items from lighting.
jd50i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 05:47 AM   #13

Before the OP jumps through all the Hoops,if they Don't have the "TIRE that caused all the Damage" they are "Spinning their Wheels" and Wasting Time! Youroo!!
Old 06-06-2018, 05:53 AM   #14
"On the road again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Before the OP jumps through all the Hoops,if they Don't have the "TIRE that caused all the Damage" they are "Spinning their Wheels" and Wasting Time! Youroo!!

Correct. That is needed for what the tire companies call "forensic testing".

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 04:50 PM   #15

What brand of China bomb?
Old 06-07-2018, 06:05 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
Given the tires were 5 years old, but what was your speed when it blew, and were you on concrete or asphalt? Not being nosey, a lot of readers like to register these statistics for future reference. I replace my tires every 3 years regardless of what the tread looks like.

The temp was surfing around 90 and I was traveling at 65mph. I checked tire pressure before I left so pressure was good. The tire blew when I was on interstate 81 heading south and I transitioned from asphalt to bridge concrete.
Old 06-07-2018, 06:06 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W Eason View Post
What brand of China bomb?
No idea now. They are gone and I already put 4 new ones on.

I might be able to check my spare (and I should probably get that replaced as soon as possible too now that I think about it)
Old 06-07-2018, 06:10 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerveVR View Post
dsagal79,

As for your heater, clean the propane gas tube using «smoking pipe cleaner».
Bugs may have nested in there and thesaid nest will resist an air blow.

Thanks! I cleaned everything out and still didn't work. Ended up having to move the camper and took it for a ride. Brought it home and due to the recent cold snap, I cranked up the heat last night just to test- it fired right up... Not sure what the issue was at this point. Just glad it is now working!
Old 06-07-2018, 06:18 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzie View Post

This might help you with the fender replacement:

Lookup-our-skirts.com | RV Fender Skirts | Fifth wheel & Travel Trailer Fender Flares | Fender Skirt Fit Guides
I have found the appropriate fender skirt however there is a small piece of J skirt that I need to replace and I didn't see anywhere that I could buy one of them on that site. Any other ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4444.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	309.4 KB
ID:	174928  
Old 06-09-2018, 07:30 AM   #20

china bomb diffused

I hear so much about china trailer tires failing. I just installed the new Good Year USA made Endurance tires on our 2012 travel trailer. I have kept the original tires covered when trailer is not in the shed. Also very religious on tire inflation and torqueing lugs. So,, I've been lucky not to have a blowout. We leave tomorrow for our first trip on the new Good Years. It seems GY has done their home work on these tires. I had a friend mount and balance them. He has done tires his whole life, and he thinks they look real good.(He is a Firestone and BFG tire fan) Only took 1/4oz weight to balance them.

I had a friend with a triple axle toy hauler blow 5 of the 6 China tires while going around Chicago on the toll road. Blew 2 and lost the other 3 while tying to find a place to pull off. It wrecked 5 tires, 4 aluminum rims, the black water dump, the onboard generator, all the plastic trim, made big skid marks on the fiberglass side walls, some wiring. Plus the IL State Patrol said he was responsible to clean up the 5 mile long waste water spill he left on the toll road. His response to that one was "YAH, RIGHT!"

I'll give a follow up post on the new GY ENDURANCE tires.
SHOPBOSS
shopboss is offline   Reply With Quote