Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2015, 08:45 PM   #1

China Bombs

I am not wanting to open a can of worms here, just posting an observation. We just returned from a trip to the beach this week (350 miles one way). I noticed a lot of trailers with blown tires. One actually blew a tire directly in front of me. The area I saw the most trailers with blown tires is a stretch of I-65 just south of Birmingham. The pavement is rough in that area for about 60-70 miles. I wonder if a combination of the China bombs and the increased flexing the tires have to do on the rough pavement caused this. Maybe I'm wrong, but I find it hard to believe that many people are not maintaining their tires properly. Most of the trailers with blown tires looked to be nearly new.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:18 AM   #2

It could be a combination of things. Do people regularly check tire pressure before any trip. Do they maintain the rated speed for their rv tires. Do they put tire black or anything like it on their camper tires to make them shine (it's not recommended ). Is the camper level or is the front raised throwing more weight on the rear axle. It could be any of a number of those and more. Just my thought.
OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 12:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKI Marine View Post
It could be a combination of things. Do people regularly check tire pressure before any trip. Do they maintain the rated speed for their rv tires. Do they put tire black or anything like it on their camper tires to make them shine (it's not recommended ). Is the camper level or is the front raised throwing more weight on the rear axle. It could be any of a number of those and more. Just my thought.

X2. I see some TTs and 5Ws flying down the highway at 75-80 mph. Trailer tires are only rated for 65 with proper inflation relative to the load. Just my observations.
biznsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 08:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by biznsa View Post
X2. I see some TTs and 5Ws flying down the highway at 75-80 mph. Trailer tires are only rated for 65 with proper inflation relative to the load. Just my observations.

The guy that blew a tire directly in front of me was flying. He blew by me doing at least 75. I am going to try to take care of my tires and hope for the best.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:49 PM   #5

My whole issue with trailer tires is that there is no margin. They are rated for 65 and most travel that speed. They typically have a weight rating that is maxed out when a trailer is reasonably loaded. They have to have exact pressure. Vehicles commonly have a good 25% or better safety margin on speed and load rating- even when loaded to GVWR.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 01:17 PM   #6
Where should we go next!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKI Marine View Post

X2. I get passed up all the time. I average between 62-65 tops. My set up is also perfectly level. Tuned in hitch height and weight distributing hitch are paramount.

I did have have two tires blowout simultaneously but, after more research and talking with tire pros. I believe I ran over a road hazard.

Up until that point, I haven't had any issues with tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Ford F-150 4X4 Supercrew Ecoboost
SportTrek 334 Touring Edition
Equalizer 4-point 10K lbs.
Offagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 01:25 PM   #7
RV Vagabond Jerry

Why drive so fast?

With RV gas mileage being under 10 MPG and other hazard risks, I can't imagine driving over 60
Jerry Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 01:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
My whole issue with trailer tires is that there is no margin. They are rated for 65 and most travel that speed. They typically have a weight rating that is maxed out when a trailer is reasonably loaded. They have to have exact pressure. Vehicles commonly have a good 25% or better safety margin on speed and load rating- even when loaded to GVWR.
I agree with the above so much that I upgraded my like new factory load range C tires with fresh load range E tires. Still tow at 60-63mph and keep the new tires pressure at 80psi.
Mtelkman is offline   Reply With Quote