Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2018, 09:36 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: NW Florida
Posts: 29
China Bombs, do I take a chance?

Hi all, I am new to the forum. My first post was a question about which trailer because we were torn between two models. Because of great input from members of this forum, it helped us choose a trailer that I think will be a great fit. As such, we have ordered a 2707WS and now waiting for it to be built. This will be our very first trailer.

I live in NW Florida and will be driving to Ohio to pick it up. I have read on this forum quite a bit about the dreaded Castle Rock tires.

Do you think I will be ok to drive it approx 830 mi over a 3 day period back to Florida? My intent is to change them out as soon as I get home but wondered if it would be ok for one long trip?

__________________

flaggonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 09:52 PM   #2
Rollin' With The Changes
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Yuma, Arizona
Posts: 1,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggonzo View Post
Hi all, I am new to the forum. My first post was a question about which trailer because we were torn between two models. Because of great input from members of this forum, it helped us choose a trailer that I think will be a great fit. As such, we have ordered a 2707WS and now waiting for it to be built. This will be our very first trailer.

I live in NW Florida and will be driving to Ohio to pick it up. I have read on this forum quite a bit about the dreaded Castle Rock tires.

Do you think I will be ok to drive it approx 830 mi over a 3 day period back to Florida? My intent is to change them out as soon as I get home but wondered if it would be ok for one long trip?

Since you special ordered the trailer, you should be able to order it with the tires you want on it instead of the china bombs.

I'm really surprised that the RV dealerships don't jump all over tire upgrades...because we all would probably do it!

If I were an RV salesperson (and I've been in sales for the last 20 years) I sure would be offering it up!
__________________

__________________


JohnD
JohnD10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 09:54 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
SeaDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Idaho
Posts: 4,979
Don't drink the kool aid I have thousands of miles on mine and no problems. Keep them at proper pressure and don't drive fast.
__________________
Retired Navy
Jake my sidekick (yellow Lab)
2017 RAM 2500 CC 4X4 Cummins Diesel
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 10:00 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 69
We're always talking chance.

If you want to change them out immediately and dont think they're safe, you should change them out right away..

I've had my Castle Rocks all over IL, WI, IN and will be heading to MI soon. I check the pressure prior to each departure, try not to stress them out too much when backing up and try to keep it under 70. So far, so good.

To each their own when it comes to safety. Do what you think keeps you, your family and those around you safe.
Skip12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 10:33 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
mblee21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 134
Iíve had mine for two years. I donít know how many miles are on them but I bought mine in Ohio also and I drove it to Florida last month and back tires still in tack. You will be fine. Just keep it below 70 and keep the tire at max pressure.
mblee21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 03:31 AM   #6
Just a member
 
kandl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cool Pool, AB
Posts: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggonzo View Post
Do you think I will be ok to drive it approx 830 mi over a 3 day period back to Florida?

Very likely. Done 40K kms and seven yrs on so called PRC bomb tires (not Castle Rock). Give them a fair shake - they might surprise you and hopefully not in a bad way.
__________________
Keith, Lori & the Wild Bunch
TT: 2011 Rockwood 8293RKSS
TV: 2009 Dodge 1500 (the Beast)

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:17 AM   #7
Gold Tee Box
 
Teetime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Rolla, MO
Posts: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Don't drink the kool aid I have thousands of miles on mine and no problems. Keep them at proper pressure and don't drive fast.
Makes good sense, wait until you get it loaded and go to a CAT scale. They are not just going to blow up like the "bomb" label...

I found that the load rating on mine was just barely covering the TT. Since we travel cross country, I decided to make a change to an 8 ply, but you may be good to go.
__________________
Success is hiring someone to mow your lawn so you can play golf for exercise.
2018 GMC 2500 Duramax Denali
2018 Coachman Freedom Express 287BHDS
23 campgrounds/240 nights since 2015
Teetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:30 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: NW Florida
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
Since you special ordered the trailer, you should be able to order it with the tires you want on it instead of the china bombs.

I'm really surprised that the RV dealerships don't jump all over tire upgrades...because we all would probably do it!

If I were an RV salesperson (and I've been in sales for the last 20 years) I sure would be offering it up!
Yes, agreed. I asked my sales person if they sell tires because I had read that the Castle Rocks were not that good. He said they don't. You would think he would have mentioned that I could upgrade right from the factory!

Well, thanks for the replies! I feel better about driving it home for this one trip. I will also make sure they are at the right pressure and keep it no faster than 65mi/hr.

I will change them out as soon as I get home. If nothing else, just for my own piece of mind!

Thanks again for the replies!
Safe Travels!
flaggonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 11:28 AM   #9
Lets go camping!
 
str8t six's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: VA
Posts: 81
i would bring a jack or trailer aid and tire tools to change one out just in case.
__________________
2014 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504s
2016 Ram 3500
str8t six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 11:36 AM   #10
Rollin' With The Changes
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Yuma, Arizona
Posts: 1,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by str8t six View Post
i would bring a jack or trailer aid and tire tools to change one out just in case.
Or get Good Sam's Roadside Assistance...
__________________

__________________


JohnD
JohnD10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:13 PM.