Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2018, 09:36 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to flaggonzo
China Bombs, do I take a chance?

Hi all, I am new to the forum. My first post was a question about which trailer because we were torn between two models. Because of great input from members of this forum, it helped us choose a trailer that I think will be a great fit. As such, we have ordered a 2707WS and now waiting for it to be built. This will be our very first trailer.

I live in NW Florida and will be driving to Ohio to pick it up. I have read on this forum quite a bit about the dreaded Castle Rock tires.

Do you think I will be ok to drive it approx 830 mi over a 3 day period back to Florida? My intent is to change them out as soon as I get home but wondered if it would be ok for one long trip?

flaggonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 09:52 PM   #2
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggonzo View Post
Hi all, I am new to the forum. My first post was a question about which trailer because we were torn between two models. Because of great input from members of this forum, it helped us choose a trailer that I think will be a great fit. As such, we have ordered a 2707WS and now waiting for it to be built. This will be our very first trailer.

I live in NW Florida and will be driving to Ohio to pick it up. I have read on this forum quite a bit about the dreaded Castle Rock tires.

Do you think I will be ok to drive it approx 830 mi over a 3 day period back to Florida? My intent is to change them out as soon as I get home but wondered if it would be ok for one long trip?

Since you special ordered the trailer, you should be able to order it with the tires you want on it instead of the china bombs.

I'm really surprised that the RV dealerships don't jump all over tire upgrades...because we all would probably do it!

If I were an RV salesperson (and I've been in sales for the last 20 years) I sure would be offering it up!
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 09:54 PM   #3

Don't drink the kool aid I have thousands of miles on mine and no problems. Keep them at proper pressure and don't drive fast.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 10:00 PM   #4

We're always talking chance.

If you want to change them out immediately and dont think they're safe, you should change them out right away..

I've had my Castle Rocks all over IL, WI, IN and will be heading to MI soon. I check the pressure prior to each departure, try not to stress them out too much when backing up and try to keep it under 70. So far, so good.

To each their own when it comes to safety. Do what you think keeps you, your family and those around you safe.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 10:33 PM   #5

I’ve had mine for two years. I don’t know how many miles are on them but I bought mine in Ohio also and I drove it to Florida last month and back tires still in tack. You will be fine. Just keep it below 70 and keep the tire at max pressure.
mblee21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 03:31 AM   #6
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggonzo View Post
Do you think I will be ok to drive it approx 830 mi over a 3 day period back to Florida?

Very likely. Done 40K kms and seven yrs on so called PRC bomb tires (not Castle Rock). Give them a fair shake - they might surprise you and hopefully not in a bad way.

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:17 AM   #7
Gold Tee Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Don't drink the kool aid I have thousands of miles on mine and no problems. Keep them at proper pressure and don't drive fast.
Makes good sense, wait until you get it loaded and go to a CAT scale. They are not just going to blow up like the "bomb" label...

I found that the load rating on mine was just barely covering the TT. Since we travel cross country, I decided to make a change to an 8 ply, but you may be good to go.

Teetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:30 AM   #8

Send a message via MSN to flaggonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
Since you special ordered the trailer, you should be able to order it with the tires you want on it instead of the china bombs.

I'm really surprised that the RV dealerships don't jump all over tire upgrades...because we all would probably do it!

If I were an RV salesperson (and I've been in sales for the last 20 years) I sure would be offering it up!
Yes, agreed. I asked my sales person if they sell tires because I had read that the Castle Rocks were not that good. He said they don't. You would think he would have mentioned that I could upgrade right from the factory!

Well, thanks for the replies! I feel better about driving it home for this one trip. I will also make sure they are at the right pressure and keep it no faster than 65mi/hr.

I will change them out as soon as I get home. If nothing else, just for my own piece of mind!

Thanks again for the replies!
Safe Travels!
flaggonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 11:28 AM   #9
Lets go camping!

i would bring a jack or trailer aid and tire tools to change one out just in case.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:36 AM   #10
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8t six View Post
i would bring a jack or trailer aid and tire tools to change one out just in case.
Or get Good Sam's Roadside Assistance...
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 12:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Same here. Over 4,000 miles on mine so far and I have no intentions of changing until they are worn out or start to show signs of weather checking.

Make sure your LOADED trailer doesn't exceed the capacity of the tires and drive at a speed below the rated speed limit for the tires (it's printed on the sidewalls). Check the pressures before hitting the road and above all, make sure you turn wide enough when entering driveways or gas stations so you don't hit the curb.

Poor maintenance, high speed, overloading, and curb shots will kill ANY tire but for some reason there are those who like to blame tires made in China for all the problems.

Considering that most Travel Trailers leave the factory with chinese made tires today it only stands to reason that they will represent most of the failures. Was a time when a good number came with US made tires and then they were being called cheap pieces of crap. Goodyear Marathon's come to mind.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 12:30 PM   #12

Purchase some tpms and keep an eye on your pressure and temperature. And watch out for curbs then you should be fine. I took my supposed China bombs from Pittsburgh to Orlando back to Pittsburgh to Las Vegas to San Antonio to Orlando back to Pittsburgh. Will be leaving for Phoenix in September on the same tires with full confidence. Remember , take care of your tires and they will take care of you . Don't over speed or overload.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 01:09 PM   #13

I don't know if anyone mentioned it or not, but, re-torque the lug nuts frequently on a new trailer. Might keep you from losing a wheel. Good luck and congratulations on your new trailer.
I John 5:13
2007 Silverback 30LSTS
2006 F250 Super Duty Crew 6.0
Rollin Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 01:29 PM   #14

I am so happy to see many practical responses in this thread. I would purchase another set of tires made in China or any other product made there.
Chaplain Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 01:42 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent View Post
I am so happy to see many practical responses in this thread. I would purchase another set of tires made in China or any other product made there.
Considering that they are also making product for consumption by over a billion people I can't see how their products are all that bad. We, in this country, have just become spoiled by our prosperity. As a result people are less careful with their possessions and abuse them like no other society in the World would.

A funny story about a tire:

The company I retired from sold a few million tires in the western US with a lifetime free replacement, regardless of reason for failure other than just plain "run flat".

One area where a lot of them were sold was on the Navajo Reservation in Arizona. One day a Dealer next to the Reservation had a customer come in for some work on her pickup truck. An elderly Navajo woman. The guys in the shop spotted a DIY repair on the tire that was rather remarkable.

It appeared that the tire was punctured with a sharp rock, stick, or piece of steel, creating a cut about 2+ inches on the sidewall. With the help of family members the woman took the tire off the wheel and carefully hand stitched the cut, like the opening in a football, with cord rubbed in beeswax. They then just added a tube and reinstalled the tire.

The dealer explained that he would give her a new tire for free. She argued that it was good enough and she wanted to keep it. Eventually the Dealer got the tire off and replaced it with new.

We kept the tire as an example of customer ingenuity for years.

This has nothing to do with chinese tires at all, just thought I'd share an interesting tire story.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 01:50 PM   #16

Bought mine in April of last year from RVW in Ohio. Picked it up and camped on our round about way home to NJ with the Castle Rocks. Have put over 6000 miles on them so far with no problems. I did by a suitable jack just in case as with any tire. I will use them until they need to be replaced. Keep them fully inflated. They seem to hold the air pressure pretty well being N2 inflated...
Old 07-15-2018, 02:02 PM   #17

Stay out of 100+ heat
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 02:02 PM   #18

If you are concerned about the tires and replacement. At the pick up point city you could replace the tires at a tire chain like like Discount Tire which would probably be less money than replacement at factory and better warranty.
txredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 02:14 PM   #19

We bought our 5th wheel 4 years ago. Second year went on 3 month 4000 mile trip in all western states. Good roads and some not so good. Still using the same tires today. Watching them closely, but no apparent problems yet. Have about 6000 on them now. Getting ready to replace, but not because of faulty tires. Never know, maybe we just got good tires.
grandpamuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 02:20 PM   #20

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Three things kill any tire!

Low inflation

Road damage from hitting curbs or potholes

Overloaded tire my shear trailer weight or incorrect towing causing tire overload.

Lesser quality tire no matter where they are made have higher failure rates. That is the fact. Even gold ole' Goodyears blow up made in USA!

TPMS a must, proper maximum inflation, watch for damage.

I ran stock for 2 years, they crumbled off the rim when replaced.

Be careful and look after them till you can change them.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote