Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2019, 11:49 AM   #1

Chocks

I have a Wildcat Maxx 312BHX (Fifth wheel) and looking for chocks. Being that there's a couple inches clearances between the wheels, I don't believe x-chocks would work. I used Anderson levelers on my previous trailer which acted as a chock also but won't work on this trailer either unless I did just one wheel. What kinds of chocks do you use? Thanks!
Cidewayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 11:59 AM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I use the regular BAL X-Chocks.
They collapse down to 1-3/8".
I have to collapse mine as tight as they will go to get them in but they hold well.
I can skid the tires on a pull test.
Mine are the first thing to go in on arrival and the last out upon leaving.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 12:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I use the regular BAL X-Chocks.
They collapse down to 1-3/8".
I have to collapse mine as tight as they will go to get them in but they hold well.
I can skid the tires on a pull test.
Mine are the first thing to go in on arrival and the last out upon leaving.
Thanks! I didn't realize they collapse down that low. I'll check them out.
Cidewayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 12:02 PM   #4

When you say "a couple inches clearance" do you literally mean 2 inches, or more like somewhere in the range of 2-4 maybe 5 inches?

The X chocks should fit between the tires with most axle spacings... I would have to go out to the camper to measure what the minimum distance between the tires would be, but it might be listed on the XChock website.... just looked it up... you need at least 1 3/8" between your tires ... I would doubt if yours are tighter than that... so they should work.

If you wheels are too close for the Andersens to fit, you can trim one of them to fit in between your tires.

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 12:14 PM   #5
Always Learning

You can cut the Andersen Levelers so that they clear.

And I sure with RotoChocks were still on the market! They were the best and supported very narrow spacing between the tires.
Old 03-01-2019, 12:20 PM   #6

X-chocks are not designed to keep your trailer from rolling away...only for stabilization. Says so right in the instructions. You still need some sort of other type of chock.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 12:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
X-chocks are not designed to keep your trailer from rolling away...only for stabilization. Says so right in the instructions. You still need some sort of other type of chock.

BAL's legal department wrote the instruction sheet... not the engineering/design department.

You put a set of X-Chocks in correctly, that trailer isn't going anywhere.

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
Old 03-01-2019, 12:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriaBeck View Post
BAL's legal department wrote the instruction sheet... not the engineering/design department.
You know them! That's great!

BTW, I was waiting for someone to say this. So what do you chock your trailer with while you are leveling it since you can't have these things tightened up while you are leveling.
Old 03-01-2019, 01:09 PM   #9

Quote:
You know them! That's great!

BTW, I was waiting for someone to say this. So what do you chock your trailer with while you are leveling it since you can't have these things tightened up while you are leveling.

And I was waiting for you to say this... you're so predictable. Took you a little longer than I expected though... you're slipping a bit I think.

I'll bet most things in Life would be tough for you if you didn't have instructions to read for everything... you would be fun to watch.

Not going to get in your mud pit and argue with you.

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
Old 03-01-2019, 03:47 PM   #10

Quote:
So what do you chock your trailer with while you are leveling it since you can't have these things tightened up while you are leveling.
Why cant you do this? I did it for 8 year with my tt with no observable adverse affects. To be clear, I'm not arguing. Just looking for understanding.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 03:57 PM   #11
waybeck2018

Quote:

You put a set of X-Chocks in correctly, that trailer isn't going anywhere.

In Insurance-ese it means Hold Harmless and Indemnification or CYA for the manufacturer.

Looking Forward to Completing This Map Soon !
waybeck2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 03:58 PM   #12

Yep!!

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
Old 03-01-2019, 04:20 PM   #13

Quote:

the X-Chock topic has been cover on another thread for the last few days(link below), ... after all the arguments and disagreements, it comes down to "you do yours the way you want, I'll do mine the way I want", ... cause those of us who are comfortable with X-Chocks ONLY, are not going to change our opinion about that, ... some of us have years of using them ONLY, and know what we're talking about, ... BUT, if you think otherwise, I repeat ... "you do yours the way you want, I'll do mine the way I want", ...

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...er-179595.html

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 04:21 PM   #14

Quote:
And I was waiting for you to say this... you're so predictable. Took you a little longer than I expected though... you're slipping a bit I think.

I'll bet most things in Life would be tough for you if you didn't have instructions to read for everything... you would be fun to watch.

Not going to get in your mud pit and argue with you.
LOL. Are you an engineer or a lawyer?

If you really think they are designed to keep your trailer from rolling down a slope, call them and ask them? LOL

I am an engineer and designed a lot of products. Not once did I have to consult the legal department when writing a user manual.

As far as you avoiding the mud pit....fat chance of that!
Old 03-01-2019, 04:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip12 View Post
Why cant you do this? I did it for 8 year with my tt with no observable adverse affects. To be clear, I'm not arguing. Just looking for understanding.
When you lock the chocks and then raise or lower the tongue, you put a lot of torque on the chock if the trailer is actually rotating enough.
Old 03-01-2019, 05:53 PM   #16

One of the marinas at one of the lakes where we have a boat dock at had a x-chock incident with one their winter stored boats. One of the tires lost its air and the boat and trailer broke the other x-chock and slammed into some other boats. Needless to say, no more x-chocks allowed when storing boat trailers at this marina.

A few years ago, I used to do expert witness consulting for a product liability firm. Was amazing the stupid things people did with products that weren't designed for the idiotic thing they were trying to do.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:24 PM   #17

No chocks

I don't use chocks at all with my 5th wheel. I don't see the need. Once the landing gear is down to disconnect from my truck there is at least 2500 #s of weight on them that the trailer isn't going anywhere. It's a different story with a bumper pull trailer.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:42 PM   #18

I chock with monster rubber wedge chocks before I unhitch, and unchock after I am hitched. Every time, no matter what. Sixty seconds max. Why risk it. What if somebody got hurt. I guess I'm into peace of mind.
sbpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 09:52 PM   #19

Real men don’t need instructions! Instructions are only manufacturer’s suggestions![emoji23]
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 10:24 PM   #20

I try not to second guess the manufacturer. Can they make mistakes? Certainly. Is there a better way sometimes? Certainly. Most inventions were from need of a better way to do it.
Most of the times staying within the parameters of the product keeps ones backside out of the ringer.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chocks