Old 02-16-2014, 09:49 PM   #1

Choosing Campground and site

Can anyone tell me the best way to find a Campground with appropriate site for our Travel Trailer? I have been looking online on multiple sites and am having a hard time figuring it all out. Is it easier to just show up for open spots when you want to camp? or to have a reservation when you've not been to any of the camp grounds?

Sandy

Old 02-16-2014, 09:53 PM   #2

how big is your camper? Larger it is, less chance of just showing up finding a spot. I always have reservations. Some websites give better info that others on site sizes. When looking at unfamiliar campgrounds, I always use Google Earth to check it out. Gives a good perspective of what's available.

davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:00 PM   #3

Buy a Trailer Life book. It lists campgrounds all over the country, by state and by city. You 'll pick up on the legend very easy. If you are still working, reservations are the best way to go. That way you know when you get there you've got a place to hook up. If you are not working, first come is ok cause you can set your own schedule.
Enjoy yourself! You'll soon find out that camping is the best vacation a person can take!
Old 02-16-2014, 10:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyMO View Post
Can anyone tell me the best way to find a Campground with appropriate site for our Travel Trailer? I have been looking online on multiple sites and am having a hard time figuring it all out. Is it easier to just show up for open spots when you want to camp? or to have a reservation when you've not been to any of the camp grounds?
Sandy
Sandy,

I think it depends on when and where you are wanting to camp. Weekends, especially holiday weekends, almost always require a reservation. Very popular spots like national parks almost always require a reservation. Mid-week, usually you can find both private and/or public campgrounds with space. Being retired, we have the luxury of travelling most ant time and we like before Memorial Day and after Labor Day. We went all through Texas last fall with only three reservations in a month of travelling, and didn't have any problem finding a spot, but it was late September into October.
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax 4X4
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:06 PM   #5

Call the campground, tell them how big your camper is, ask them if they have a site that would accommodate you. Here in Wisconsin state parks fill up very quickly with reservations, but most have a few non-reservable first come-first served spots. Private campgrounds fill up for holiday weekends so reservations are a must.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:14 PM   #6

I always make reservations as most campgrounds fill up during the camping season and especially on holiday weekends. If I have not been there before I do as much research as I can to find what sites are best for my fiver as it's 42ft long. I prefer full hookup and concrete pads. An un level site, trees, positioned near bath house or close to the dump station etc..can make a difference. My RVing friend says we are camping snobs when it comes to choosing a campground. If you can not find info on line call the campground and tell them what type of RV you have and hopefully they will put you in an appropriate site.
Airlift system/on board compressor

speedcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:25 PM   #7
Fulltime family RVer

Wiscampin and speedcat took the words out of my mouth. When I'm not at a Thousand Trails park, I often will call campgrounds to make sure they can take our size and they're big rig friendly.

The Thousand Trails (TT) parks are all first-come/first-served parks (*mostly). For some of their smaller parks, I'll call when we're a couple of hours away to see how many "big rig" sites they have currently open and if it's getting tight, if they can help us hold a site.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:26 PM   #8
Fulltime family RVer

Oh, and picking a campground- 99% of the time, we shoot for something near a destination. I'll browse campground websites and then hit up Reviews of RV Parks and Campgrounds - RV Park Reviews (which is transitioning ownership to the same folks who run this form) for reviews from other campers. I ignore the awful and glowing and try to find the middle-ground of reality, but really- we're very easy to please.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:34 PM   #9

Thank you all for your responses. i found another thread that also gave a phone app called Allstays and have already purchased. Looks like a great app. I don't usually spend $ on apps but thought this might be beneficial.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:10 PM   #10

Allstays is a great app. More than worth the price. It take some practice to interpret the web site descriptions and reviews. What I might tolerate you might not. My wife and I don't always agree. As for reservations, it depends on where and when. Florida from Jan to Apr you'll need a reservation. In Aug you can have your pick of parks and sites. The same with areas around popular destinations, like national parks, during the summer.

2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax Crewcab
Jeep Commander - sold
Flagstaff V-Lite WRB26
kz08h5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mpg