Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2015, 07:02 AM   #1

Chromcast, Firestick, Roku?

Does anyone have any feedback about using Chromcast, Firestick or Roku in your campers?
The guys in my world want to watch sports at a favorite campground in Charleston SC. WiFi is good there. Has anyone used ESPN on one of these divises?
Thanks for any advise about this.
Sandrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 10:49 AM   #2

I haven't watched that channel, but I love my Roku. I don't use it in the camper, but I can tell you that if a lot of people are on the wifi, you will get a lot of buffering. I have a first gen Roku so I need to upgrade. Many channels like PBS and ESPN aren't available on the older model.

Don, Kim, Donny Jr., Sarge, Ginger & Buddy ~ Pittsburgh, PA
Sharps45120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 10:56 AM   #3

I have Roku and Chromecast.
Chromecast has to use a phone, tablet or laptop to broadcast to the TV.
Roku is standalone and does much more than Chromecast.

But, I have yet to see a campground WIFI that would support streaming video.
Old 08-02-2015, 12:52 PM   #4
Where should we go next!

Chromcast, Firestick, Roku?

I have a Roku stick and it works fantastic. It all depends on the wifi signal. Honestly, I wouldn't even think of bringing it on a trip because I don't believe any campground wifi signal could render a good picture without excessive buffering. My two cents though.

With that being said. My son has a Chromecast and I have the Roku. We both find the Roku to be better. Less buggy and loads quicker.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Ford F-150 4X4 Supercrew Ecoboost
SportTrek 334 Touring Edition
Equalizer 4-point 10K lbs.
Offagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 01:26 PM   #5

I have Chromecast for streaming from sources not available to HULU/Amazon/etc.

I have Roku Home Hub for most everything else.

Of course, this is at home. Like some have said, haven't seen a CG with enough bandwidth to do much streaming.
panthercity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 03:36 PM   #6
Always Learning

I found the Roku had the widest "app" support for the various channels. I have multiple versions and Rokus setup and they were all equally easy to install.

However, I agree with the above- streaming video will use up a lot of bandwidth and may actually be against the terms and conditions of your wifi. Verify that before committing to it.
Old 08-02-2015, 03:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-nickie View Post
But, I have yet to see a campground WIFI that would support streaming video.
This. I have (and LOVE) our two Chromecast and would really enjoy it for our full hook up camping, however, there's no way in a minute that any park we've been to can have a wifi strong enough or fast enough to support it....which sucks.

At home though it's great.
2014 Brute Force 300 (daughters)
2016 Days Camped: 22
Check Us Out On YOUTUBE!!
PolarisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 04:11 PM   #8

We have a Firestick; works great. Word of caution; you better have a good data plan as streaming is costly.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 06:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyg View Post
We have a Firestick; works great. Word of caution; you better have a good data plan as streaming is costly.
X2! Dreading next months bill. Kids burnt through the data plan very quickly while traveling. Kept us sane though. [emoji1]
rsscully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 08:35 PM   #10

The only way any of this is going to do you any good while camping is if you have a verizon phone with the old unlimited data plan that you can use for a hotspot.

Which I do happen to have. :-)
Old 08-02-2015, 08:43 PM   #11

Actually... Not true. If you can put some movies/shows on your personal device you could actually setup your device as a hotspot and stream local content and it would be using as much data as just normal 4g/3g idle. Just food for thought. I've done it and it works great and we only have a 3gb shared plan.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
Old 08-02-2015, 09:17 PM   #12

I don't understand why campgrounds don't get on the wifi bandwagon and offer something that works! Oh yeah...we have wifi...you may be able to log on but don't try to actually USE it.

BTW I have an Amazon Fire Stick and TiVo that I use to access Netflix and all the Amazon content.

2013 Toyota Tundra 5.7L
2015 Apex 288BHS
UmptySquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 09:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarisGuy View Post
Actually... Not true. If you can put some movies/shows on your personal device you could actually setup your device as a hotspot and stream local content and it would be using as much data as just normal 4g/3g idle. Just food for thought. I've done it and it works great and we only have a 3gb shared plan.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
I guess, or I could just use my DVD player.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:09 PM   #14
Always Learning

Quote:
We setup a Seagate Wireless Plus hard drive and ripped out entire DVD collection. I carry zero DVDs.

Quote:
I guess, or I could just use my DVD player.
Except, in the space that 1 DVD takes up, I have all 200 of mine available at each TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmptySquat View Post
I don't understand why campgrounds don't get on the wifi bandwagon and offer something that works! Oh yeah...we have wifi...you may be able to log on but don't try to actually USE it.

It's cost. Commercial bandwidth isn't cheap and the infrastructure to support an ever changing landscape isn't as easy as most installations. That said, if they advertise wifi- let me do basic web browsing without rage.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
We setup a Seagate Wireless Plus hard drive and ripped out entire DVD collection. I carry zero DVDs.
Thats brilliant actually.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:24 PM   #16
Always Learning

Quote:
Thats brilliant actually.

http://www.learntorv.com/2014/06/rip...-portable.html

It was the simplest setup that I could buy off-the-shelf components and it "just works". Every once in a while it needs rebooted and 5-15 minutes to reindex the list of movies and tv shows; but overall it performs wonderfully.

We also use it in the truck directly on their tablets and handheld devices.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:36 PM   #17

We have a Roku and use it camping. However we have not found a campground yet that has the bandwidth to stream for any amount of time. Some I believe block streaming. We use our Verizon hotspot but here is a trick to try so the Roku doesn't use nearly as much bandwidth as you could otherwise. In the 'setup' menu of the Roku we set the Roku to output as if it were hooked to a standard resolution TV set instead of high resolution. The picture is still great and in a camper environment you can't really tell the difference. Uses WAY less bandwidth from the hotspot then using high def.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 06:13 AM   #18

Quote:
Chromecast has to use a phone, tablet or laptop to broadcast to the TV.
I just wanted to clarify this. The Chromecast requires a tablet/phone/laptop to control it like the normal TV remote, but once you tell the Chromecast what you are watching; it goes and gets the content itself. So you aren't technically streaming from your phone/tablet to the Chromecast, only controlling it.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:06 AM   #19

Although I love technology, all the set up to watch your own recorded movies and such really doesn't help the OP with the question of how to watch ESPN. I assume since they want to watch sports, That they want to watch it live. I have watched ESPN live using chromecast, and although Roku states that you can I have not done it.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:06 AM   #20
Phat Phrogs Incognito...

I have experience with Chromecast and Roku.

CHROMECAST: Chromecast not only requires a phone, tablet, or laptop (to set it up), but an INTERNET CONNECTION! No internet? No Chromecast. So unless you have an internet connection where you camp, Chromecast will not be a good choice. So the big problem is that a Chromecast requires an internet connect to function as a LOCAL STREAMING DEVICE.

ROKU: We have a ROKU HD, ROKU 1, ROKU Stick and a ROKU XS HD (think we like them?) Hands down, ROKU has more apps and channels that *ANY* other streaming solution. Unlike Chromecast, the ROKU products do not require an internet connection to function as a LOCAL STREAMING DEVICE.

Wait! What is a LOCAL STREAMING DEVICE and what are my options, you ask?

A LOCAL STREAMING DEVICE is a means of streaming content that you have on your laptop, phone, hard drive, DVR etc.

Options? LOTS! Fart too many to cover them all here, but probably the most popular are:

LAPTOP / PC: Windows Media Center or PLEX, and there are many more.
PHONE: pretty much any content you have.
TABLET: pretty much any content you have.
HARD DRIVE: Depending on the technology supporting it and whether or not you have a router, pretty much any content you have.

We use PLEX Media Server. Here's why:
COST: free

MEDIA: Photos, home movies, moives (DVD collection or???), Music (CD's or ???) and streaming channels. (wait, streaming channels? Yes, PLEX has literally 100 of them)

REQUIREMENTS: Windows, MAC or LINUX Computer (for server), ROUTER (for local network, but more functions with internet connected router) and CLIENT (ROKU, some smart TV's, Android and Apple phones and tablets and more)

SIMPLICITY: Easy to install, excellent (community) support.

EASE OF USE: As easy as any other quality streaming solution.

Did I mention that PLEX is free?

Anyway... So here is what we have in the RV:

2 TV's (42" smart in Living room and 32' not so smart in bedroom)

DirecTV HD DRV (in living room, from home), SL3 dish (takes about 10 - 20 minutes to setup) and Genie client (for bedroom)

ROKU XS HD (in living room) and ROKU Stick (in bedroom)

Wireless router, with repeater capability (provides secure, local "coach network" and can connect to internet from RV park or any of our other 3 sources, T-Mobile, AT&T and Verizon.

Laptop (actually 3, and 3 tablets and 3 phones) with PLEX Media server and over 400 movies, bunches of home videos, thousands of songs and thousands of photos, all can be streamed to the TV's, other laptops, tablets, phones or... even guests and nearby RV's if we want (via a secured guest network).

Home is where we park it.

Tina + Dutch and Bell, Bobo, Harley, Buddy (the dogs)
2011 F350 Lariat 4x4 DRW SuperCrew 6.7L (B&W setup w/Air Lift 5000 Ultimate)
2014 Columbus 365RL (Airflex and Voyager package)
Nights Camped 2014 - 154, 2015 - 32, 2016 - 4
DutchF is offline   Reply With Quote