Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2017, 09:27 AM   #1

Class A vs Fifth Wheel?

Okay, so I'm just kinda brainstorming here and looking for input. I'm pretty much an "off-the-grid" camper who recently moved into a TH that I had modified for off-road travel. So far it has only limited me slightly, but I've also pushed the envelope on where I take it. I like to be out there, dispersed-camping, but I and the other half also like the comfort and convenience this lifestyle brings. I figure I've paid my sleeping on the ground in the rain dues, and so deserve a little comfort in my latter years.

So, I'm trying to weigh the benefits of a vehicle (Class A) that can get me maybe a little bit off the beaten path, with a small 4WD Jeep or Truck that I can use to get back into the wild, against a fiver where I can load my OHV in the back, will have basically the same off-road capability as the class A, with the benefit of disconnecting from the TV.

I'm about five years down the road from upgrading, and only starting to think about these things as I've had the TH in the woods a couple of times and I gotta say, some pretty exciting insertions/extractions. There is no way I could drag a fiver to the places I've been so far, but I do have the TV for it now.

I'm looking for input on the differences. One big issue is I really don't want to camp in campgrounds, but will if necessary. Costs? Convenience? Off-road ability? (And no, I can't afford a MAN 8x8/MOG/EarthRoamer/etc - but it would be nice, huh)

Thoughts? Suggestions?
seagrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 08:32 PM   #2

With a good tow vehicle, you'd be perfectly able to use a 5th wheel.

Plus with a 5th wheel, you only have one engine to maintain. Say you're driving down the road with your class A and break down. Now you are out both a vehicle and your housing situation. You have to rent a car (or use the small car you tow) and a place to sleep. In addition, not just anyone can work on a class A. You're going to have to find a special place to work on it.

Now, same scenario with a truck and camper. You get the 5th wheel towed to a campground and rent a small car to get around while any place can work on your truck. Much easier to deal with. Plus, you don't have to tow another vehicle around.
juhesihcaaa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, fifth wheel, wheel