Old 09-15-2016, 08:58 AM   #21
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
This goes back to the premise that a Class C requires that you tow some kind of secondary vehicle unless your ok with breaking camp to go anywhere.
so your point is?

You have to disconnect your tow vehicle from your TT in order to go elsewhere.

In my case, we unload the motorcycles, leaving the trailer hooked up.

Those with a toad, disconnect and drive off.

I am getting about 50 mpg and having fun adventuring out on a motorcycle.
Others are having fun driving country roads in their convertible or sports car.
The adventurous ones are driving trails in their 4 by 4,

Should they break down, we load them up or hook them up and drive off into the sunset because we still have a working vehicle

Having a toad or towing a cargo trailer behind a motorhome really does have all kinds of advantages

ShermanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:01 AM   #22
We were discussing cost of ownership and my position that a TT with TV is cheaper to own, operate and maintain than a Class C of comparable size. That's all.

2016 Coachmen Freedom Express Liberty Edition 310BHDS
2015 Toyota Tundra 5.7L V8 with towing package
Husky weight distribution hitch with sway control
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:02 AM   #23
Site Team
This is a great thread and a question I have personally wondered some myself about in getting a Class C with a toad as the OP initially asked.

Everyone has different needs, likes and well as to what works for them, may not work at all for someone else. This is just life.

Now, as a site team member, I am noticing that some are trying to justify their choices maybe just a little too much. As per our guidelines:

Voice your opinion respectfully and then let it go.

Let's keep this thread going and maybe others will also express what worked, or didn't work for them. I am going to follow this one, because as stated, this is a subject I have been wondering about.

Thanks everyone for helping.
2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS

I've just ordered a chicken and an egg from Amazon.... I will keep you posted.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:16 AM   #24
We went from a 32' Jayco Class C, towing a 2016 Chevy Equinox last year to a new 34' FR 5th wheel, towed with a Chevy 3500HD diesel and like the trailer and truck much better.

I didn't like the way the Class C handled when a semi got near and there wasn't anything more to do to the suspension. I like the 5th wheel for having much more comfort and room.

It just depends on one's preference for a RV. If I were to ever get another motorhome, it would be a 40' to 45' Class A diesel pusher or a 21' to 25' Class C.

2016 Forest River Heritage Glen 276RLIS
2012 Chevrolet Silverado LT 3500HD Duramax
Pasco, Washington
41ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:56 AM   #25
Canadian Member
Here's my thoughts on Class C/toad vs. pickup/trailer.

The initial cost of the Class C is likely comparable to the cost of a pickup and TT/5er. Add in the cost of the toad and there may be an advantage for the pickup/trailer option.

The Class C is not a daily driver so you need another vehicle when you get to your destination. However, the Class C is only driven between campgrounds and it sounds like the the MPG pulling a toad is no worse than a 3/4 ton or 1 ton pickup towing a large TT or 5er. When you get to your destination, the toad/motorcycle should be substantially cheaper to operate and much easier to park than a pickup. And as a daily driver, the toad vehicle will definitely be less expensive than a 3/4 ton or 1 ton pickup.

So it comes down to a couple things:
1) personal preference for travelling, and
2) annual cost of ownership of the Class C/toad combo vs. annual cost of ownership of the pickup/trailer combo.

If #2 is a wash, then it's just a matter of personal preference.

The same comparison points would be applicable to a Class A vs. a very large 5er.
2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8293SS, 12K Equal-i-zer
2016 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCrew, 6.2L, 4x4, 6'9" bed, 3.73
Fondly remembered:
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)
2009 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew, 5.4L, 4x4, 5'6" bed (2012 - 2016)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 12:41 PM   #26
Have had an RV for 42 years. Went from a TT to a class C and was excited for about 3 trips. Well, there is more room in a class a and the front seats swivel to add space wasted in a C on top. The diesel pusher had enough power than the C and handling much better on the road. Much more expensive than the C and worth it! Now I have an F350 pulling a 5er. After the class a was an F250 and 5er. Maybe another 5er in a couple years but there is not a C made I would trade a truck and 5er.
2016 Keystone Cougar 303RLS
2016 F350 diesel
Edgewater 205 EX 150 Yamaha
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 02:50 PM   #27
No matter what you camp, or aka sleep in, your going to want to still be mobile. So you have to tow something. What do you like to drive 365 days a year vs. the times camping, unless of course you are full timing. Me, I can be lazy so I like the convenience of driving a class A. Set up and take down are so much easier than any towed set up. Yes I tow a dolly with now a Kia Sportage, but unhooking car and dolly take less than 5 minutes, same to hook up and load. Doing the Wal Mart thing or a rest stop for lunch or potty break can't be beat in a drive-able rig whether an A or C in my opinion. Also, I've always thought as you move up the food chain from pop-ups, TT, smaller 5 er's pulled by 1/2 3/4/ or 1 tons to gas class C's and A's, 40 foot 5 er's pulled by diesel P/Ups to finally diesel pushers there is a considerable difference in quality of materials used and accoutrements.
2011 Georgetown 330TS
RAV4 on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 02:55 PM   #28
Have owned a full size pu for over 50 years. Can not image my life without it, as my hobbies of woodworking and gardening progress, my pu is used quite extensively every week. Can not image trying to tow a crew cab with a Class C, and most Class A are a it over the price range for us. Camp 50-60 nights a year, would not to want the trouble of maintaining another motorized vehicle. Since I retired, have found many new friends who can use the time and talents of a retiree with a pu.
Marriot2 on Wheels 2017 Flagstaff Classic 832 OKBS
2013 GMC Denali 6.6L 2500 HD DMAX w\Alison Trans
Pepper Pomeranian rescue 101 days as camping buddy
Days camped in FR, 2011 = 20, 2012 = 57, 2013 = 59
... 2014 = 39, 2015 = 52, 2016 = 68, 3 more planned
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 03:19 PM   #29
Newly Retired
Six of one and half dozen of the other.
Have done more traveling in a class C than TT. My current rig is a 30ft TT, with the truck its 50 feet long. It was easier to find a campsite with the MH since the MH was 30ft and my cargo trailer was easy to unhook and only 15ft extra, when attached. The Class C seemed much easier to get into and out of gas stations also since you are steering the 30 foot section instead of the 20 foot long truck pulling the 30 footer. However my current TT is a toyhauler and I think the axle's are father back than most standard TT's.
I do save a bit of fuel having a diesel instead of a V10 that only got 7mph.
Easy to overthink these things.
Steveboe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 03:47 PM   #30
I have not owned a MH so I am not really answering the OP question but wanted to mention this. I like the setup we currently have, TV and TT but lately have often wondered if a MH and Toad would have been better. The main reason - finding parking for the truck has been a pain in any of the bigger cities we have visited so far. It would have been nice to tow my wife's Rav4, I never have trouble finding parking in SF with it... To get what we would want would be in my opinion cost prohibitive but it is nice dreaming. Big O'l diesel pusher pulling a jeep would be my dream setup.

2016 Windjammer 3006WK
2010 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Diesel, Front Hitch, Air Lift 5000 Rear Air Bags.
Equalizer E4 1.4k/14k WD Hitch.
Furrion FOS48TA Observation Camera
Garmin RV-760 GPS
gectisme is online now   Reply With Quote

class c, trailer, travel, travel trailer