Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2016, 10:02 AM   #41

We moved from a 28' Sprinter fifth wheel and F250 super duty super crew 4x4 to our Lexington 283GTS almost four years ago. We love it and will never go back. Our m/h has is a B+ or C- with 3 slides which open its small size out very nicely. We spent 2 months in Florida most comfortably. Even with the slides in everything is accessible which was not the case in the fifth wheel.

I used to see DH's white knuckles on the wheel and see him trying to shake the tension out of his shoulders. Now I smile when I glance over and see him one handing it down the road.

I have had both knees replaced and was having trouble with the tall stairs in our 5er and with the height of the truck. Now 3 easy steps gets me in and out. DH has had heart surgery and sometimes struggles working above shoulder level. At times unhooking the trailer was about all he could manage.

We are campers more than travellers. The MH is easy to drive and easy to park but we prefer to set up in one of our Provincial Parks and camp. If we are travelling and want to go sight seeing without breaking camp we do as mentioned above just call Enterprise. We could pull a toad but without adding another vehicle to the fleet would be using a dolly. We recently bought a new primary vehicle and found the flat towable options didn't meet our needs as an every day car. Sorry but we aren't Jeep people! Haven't ruled the dolly out but haven't found it necessary.

Cost wise we bought this MH slightly used for not much more than the F250 cost. Six tires now instead of eight. Mileage despite being gas vs diesel is about the same. We have actually used the MH as a truck a couple of times. It can haul 2x4's or a roll of carpet like a boss.

Good luck with your decision. The debate makes long cold winter nights exciting.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 01:47 PM   #42
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniandSal View Post
I had a 24' TT about 30 years ago, when my ex and I used his construction truck to tow it.
My DH and I have a Forester 22' Class C, and I love being able to pull into the rest stops, fix sandwiches for lunch, give the dogs water and a snack, then we step outside to stretch out legs, and we are on our way. Since we already had a Honda Pilot and a car, buying a truck to tow a TT wasn't going to happen. Money-wise, to buy a decent truck to tow and nice TT might have been more $ than the new Class C. But, our home vehicles aren't suited to be toads. The Pilot is too big and heavy, and our car is a Jag. So, if we want to do any sightseeing, we will need to purchase a small toad. A Jeep Wrangler Sport would be the most likely, since it's small, but big enough to secure our two dogs in the back seat. Toad cost...new $31,000' yikes! Used is better at around $10,000-12,000, plus quoted cost of $3,000 to get the hitch set-up. I would love to find one that already is a toad to save that cost, if we do buy one. I love that the interest on the motorhome loan is tax deductible as a second home. A truck as a TT wouldn't get that advantage. I like having the Class C better than towing a big TT, and it fits on the driveway, to the inch!
Use a rental car from someone like Enterprise

We have several vehicles that can be set up to tow, but just haven't gotten that far along yet. Most of the time we go to a state park and set up for a weekend, don't need the toad for that. We have a multi-day trip planned in December where we will be staying in a single park for 4 days, we already have a rental car booked for that trip. They will actually deliver it to the campground for us!

Everybody has different needs do what works for you.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 04:46 PM   #43

We purchased a new (year old) Sunseeker 2500TS for the price of an expensive pickup. We questions a class A vs a Class C and DW felt more comfortable with the C. We never questioned a Class C vs a TT because we often pull a 19' boat.
We are heading to Florida for 3 month this winter and trying to convince DW to get a toad for convenience. The one difference I see with others is that I am considering an aluminum car hauler for the toad. We have a Silverado for our daily driver, but have other uses for the car hauler as well. Setting up for a flat tow is nearly the cost of a car hauler. Any input on this.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 06:28 AM   #44
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
We purchased a new (year old) Sunseeker 2500TS for the price of an expensive pickup. We questions a class A vs a Class C and DW felt more comfortable with the C. We never questioned a Class C vs a TT because we often pull a 19' boat.
We are heading to Florida for 3 month this winter and trying to convince DW to get a toad for convenience. The one difference I see with others is that I am considering an aluminum car hauler for the toad. We have a Silverado for our daily driver, but have other uses for the car hauler as well. Setting up for a flat tow is nearly the cost of a car hauler. Any input on this.
Whatever works for you!

One advantage to a car on trailer is you can back up, you cannot back up with a conventional toad or dolly.

Disadvantage(s); you have to store the trailer, you have to have it with you, added weight. YMMV

For our needs the toad set up is going to be better. My bride and I still work, there have been a couple of times where I drove the MH to the campground and she showed up later with the car. If it wer set up for towing we could hook it up for the ride home, right now she has to drive it home.

Our long range plan is once we retire to travel for a few weeks at a time, she is going to continue working about 8 days a month after I retire, so she will need the toad to get to work from wherever we happen to be, time will tell what will work best for us.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 06:52 AM   #45

Hands down - class c is the best for us . Bilstien shocks all around & a Roadmaster steering relief stabilizer were our needed mods. A tow dolly next year will fill the bill. Our two fthwheels were much more stable than the TTs. The S.S. 2250 is the pinnacle of our RV journey that started w/ a few popups. Now on the S.S.interior ,that is another story!

Tags
class c, trailer, travel, travel trailer