Old 09-15-2016, 04:14 PM   #31

I went from Fifth wheel to a Class C. It has a built in Generator, more sleeping room than my fifth wheel and every thing is accessible with the slide out closed. Did a 6,562 mile trip in June from FL to Oregon, mileage close to 10 per gal. 2016 Ford V10 with 6 speed trans. With the fifth wheel I had to beef up the suspension and change crappy ST trailer tires to LT truck tires in order to feel safe on the road.

Old 09-15-2016, 04:21 PM   #32
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcheapo View Post
I went from Fifth wheel to a Class C. It has a built in Generator, more sleeping room than my fifth wheel and every thing is accessible with the slide out closed. Did a 6,562 mile trip in June from FL to Oregon, mileage close to 10 per gal. 2016 Ford V10 with 6 speed trans. With the fifth wheel I had to beef up the suspension and change crappy ST trailer tires to LT truck tires in order to feel safe on the road.
Curious.....what model Class C do you have?

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 05:46 PM   #33

Have never had either class a or c but I keep checking floor plans and haven't found one that works for me
Old 09-15-2016, 06:31 PM   #34

We went from a F150 towing a 35' TT bunkhouse to a 32'+ Class C bunkhouse flat towing a JKU and love every minute of it!!! If you can afford the move to a motorhome then it comes down to personal preference.

Make a list of pro's and con's to both and then decide. For us the convenience of my wife to be able to get up and get the kids a drink or a snack, or the ability to go to the bathroom while I drive us down the road was enough for us. I have two daughters they have the choice of 6 different places to sit seat belted in the coach as we head down the road (mind you we also have in motion satellite so they can watch whatever they want as we go).

Name:   ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1473982288.890558.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  82.4 KB

2014 Forest River Sunseeker 3170DS
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Black Bear Edition

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 09-15-2016, 07:12 PM   #35

We just traded our 17BH Clipper in on a 2017 sunseeker 3170DS (pick it up on Sat)

I was towing with a 2013 Ecoboost F150 and have been looking to get a larger unit for about a year. Went back and forth between larger TT and 5th Wheel. I didn't want to lots of extra length so was leaning towards the 5th wheel. But would have to upgrade my truck. Even sticking with a TT was going to be hard to get the space we wanted without coming too close to maxing out the tow capacity. Finally decided to sell the F150 and go with the class C. We have a 2006 dodge dakota that's just been sitting around that we plan to use for a Toad when taking longer than weekend trips. The payments on the class C came to be less than the payments we were making on the truck. And we get the tax benifit from the interest.
I will come back and let you know if it was a good move after we've been out in the new one a time or two.
Old 09-15-2016, 08:14 PM   #36

I have had only pop-ups and class Cs. I love them. They have permanent sleeping for 4 people and they are very easy to drive
Old 09-15-2016, 08:27 PM   #37

We have had both TT and Class C MH. First RV was a 1995 Jamboree Class C. Traded it in for a 2011 32' V Cross trailer in early 2011. Used it for that season and traded that in for our current Class C 2011 Sunseeker. Would not go back to a TT.
We do not tow a toad. When we arrive at our destination the DW calls Enterprise and they come to the CG and take her back to their office to do paperwork. Then when our vacation is over she drops the vehicle off at Enterprise and they bring her back to the campground. We had done this with the old class c as well.
Old 09-15-2016, 08:59 PM   #38

We are also considering a 32' C to replace our 32' trailer and F350. In addition to the ease of use, I'm growing a bit tired of using a 1 ton diesel as my daily driver. It's a crew cab long bed and is almost 23' long so it's very difficult to park anywhere in a city. It also rides like a 1 ton truck.

We are currently in Hershey PA for the World's Largest RV Show so we'll be kicking tires in the morning!
Old 09-15-2016, 09:06 PM   #39

Mbutts, that's where we got our Sunseeker. We went the first day. The show is HUGE. We didn't even get to see everything. We had done enough research and visits to many dealers so that we were pretty sure the model we wanted, but we could have easily gone another day or two just to see it all. Enjoy!
Old 09-16-2016, 05:15 AM   #40

I had a 24' TT about 30 years ago, when my ex and I used his construction truck to tow it.
My DH and I have a Forester 22' Class C, and I love being able to pull into the rest stops, fix sandwiches for lunch, give the dogs water and a snack, then we step outside to stretch out legs, and we are on our way. Since we already had a Honda Pilot and a car, buying a truck to tow a TT wasn't going to happen. Money-wise, to buy a decent truck to tow and nice TT might have been more $ than the new Class C. But, our home vehicles aren't suited to be toads. The Pilot is too big and heavy, and our car is a Jag. So, if we want to do any sightseeing, we will need to purchase a small toad. A Jeep Wrangler Sport would be the most likely, since it's small, but big enough to secure our two dogs in the back seat. Toad cost...new $31,000' yikes! Used is better at around $10,000-12,000, plus quoted cost of $3,000 to get the hitch set-up. I would love to find one that already is a toad to save that cost, if we do buy one. I love that the interest on the motorhome loan is tax deductible as a second home. A truck as a TT wouldn't get that advantage. I like having the Class C better than towing a big TT, and it fits on the driveway, to the inch!

Tags
class c, trailer, travel, travel trailer