Old 09-14-2016, 03:43 PM   #1

Class C vs Travel Trailer

My wife and I are considering changing from our 35 ft travel trailer to a 32 foot class C.

The concern we have is on road stability. We had to upgrade my truck from a F150 to a F250 to pull the trailer in a means that we felt safe. So we don't want to go and get something that is going to be blown all over the road.

We are thinking about pulling a Wrangler behind the RV.

The change would make our total outfit 7 foot shorter than we have now.

Opinion on those that have driven both???

Thanks!!!!

Old 09-14-2016, 03:48 PM   #2
DW's Retirement Plan

Went from a 32' TT to a 32' Class C this year. I wouldn't trade it for a thing. Towing a Jeep Liberty.
Disclaimer - I have made some modifications to help the stability. I figure it's almost as planted as it's going to get. Hardly any effect from passing 18 wheelers or big trucks.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life...
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 03:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGrinch View Post
Went from a 32' TT to a 32' Class C this year. I wouldn't trade it for a thing. Towing a Jeep Liberty.
Disclaimer - I have made some modifications to help the stability. I figure it's almost as planted as it's going to get. Hardly any effect from passing 18 wheelers or big trucks.
What modifications did you make?? That is our whole issue. We have two kids and want them to enjoy riding in the Class C, but also want to make sure we are safe.
Old 09-14-2016, 04:06 PM   #4
DW's Retirement Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampinDoc View Post
What modifications did you make?? That is our whole issue. We have two kids and want them to enjoy riding in the Class C, but also want to make sure we are safe.
Steering stabilizer, aftermarket rear sway bar and a rear trac bar. No sawing on the wheel going down the road and the coach doesn't sway when big trucks pass. It also rides flatter through curves and doesn't feel like it's top heavy.

2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life...
Old 09-14-2016, 04:11 PM   #5
Citrus County, Fl.

We also went from a 35' Flagstaff to a 32' Forester. As others have stated, some additions additions to the suspension will help. I have not done so yet but am planning on adding a Roadmaster steering stabilizer.

We have towed our Corolla about 4000 miles so far and don't even know it is back there. I wanted a toad that was comfortable, good on gas and would not be in the repair shop as soon as the warranty ran out.

The class C is much better for my wife as she does not travel well anymore and can lay down and use the bathroom when she needs to. Also, we now have two grand kids and there is much more sleeping room as our Flagstaff would only sleep 4 people.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:16 PM   #6

I like a TT. There alot more affordable, can be just as spacious and you don't need to tow a vehicle, just un couple and use you TV.

2016 Coachmen Freedom Express Liberty Edition 310BHDS
2013 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LTZ 6.6L V8 Duramax
Husky weight distribution hitch with sway control
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:25 PM   #7
Chuck

I agree. I have done both and am now back in a TT with an F250 as my tow vehicle. Disconnect and go. Cheaper on insurance too and only one vehicle has an engine and drive train. I have a camper shell on my truck so have lots of carrying capacity as well. No pulling fuses for the towed vehicle, no dead batteries etc.
Old 09-14-2016, 08:15 PM   #8
DW's Retirement Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho_Chuck View Post
I agree. I have done both and am now back in a TT with an F250 as my tow vehicle. Disconnect and go. Cheaper on insurance too and only one vehicle has an engine and drive train. I have a camper shell on my truck so have lots of carrying capacity as well. No pulling fuses for the towed vehicle, no dead batteries etc.
I understand what Idaho_Chuck and timfromma are saying. We felt the same way for years. But, ya know, I can drive my Sunseeker with my Liberty in tow and feel a lot more confidant than towing a TT. My gas mileage is pretty much the same with the Sunseeker/Liberty as it was in my Nissan Armada/Flagstaff. I've got the comforts of home right with me as I am driving, and passenger(s) can go to the restroom while we're moving. If I am hungry and don't want to stop, food is right there in the fridge.
BTW, I don't pull any fuses and I don't worry about a dead battery. No stopping every couple hours and running the toad to charge the battery.
Was I apprehensive in going to the Sunseeker? Yep. Am I glad I did it? Yep. Do I see myself going back to a TT? Not at the present time. I'm enjoying the daylights out of this unit!

2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life...
Old 09-14-2016, 08:18 PM   #9

I think it depends on how you travel. I went from a 21' TT to a 25' TT to a 28' Class C. But I tend to take driving vacations where I don't stay any 1 place very long. I just finished a 2000 mile trip from GA to PA to OH to MI to KY and back to GA. The most I stayed was 3 nights in 1 place. If I had to hook up and unhook a TT for that it would be quite painful. I also tow a Honda CR-V and it does great.

It is not quite as stable as I like but at no time do I feel unsafe. In fact, the TT moved me around as much or more than the Class C moves. You might rent one to take a test drive to be sure though.
Old 09-14-2016, 08:19 PM   #10
DW's Retirement Plan

One other thing....
Yes, the cost of the Sunseeker is above a TT. But combine that TT with what you pay for a TV and it's usually a wash. My Sunseeker payment is pretty close to what I was paying for the Armada. Of course, the payments are spread out over more months, but look at all that interest I'll be able to claim on taxes, since it's like a mortgage.
Think about that as well.

2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life...

Tags
class c, trailer, travel, travel trailer