Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2016, 09:56 AM   #1

Cleaning the roof?

Thought about climbing up topside and washing the roof of our 2013 Wildcat 5th wheel.

I have a soft bristle brush on a pole, but what is the best product to use in washing the roof that does a good job and has no negative side effects.

Share your knowledge with me if you would please,

Thanks in advance,

Past RVs: National Pacifica 40', Kenworth T300 Toterhome, Jayco Class C 32'. American Eagle 40',
American Eagle 40', Bounder 38' tag axle
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 10:05 AM   #2

The literature in the owners manual for my brand roof says "Spic and Span". I suggest checking the manual or going online to the roof material manufacturer and getting their recommendation as my 5er may have a different roof. Most say to never use anything with a petroleum distillate.
Mtelkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 09:18 AM   #3

Spic n span works great if you can find it. I Went to 4 different stores and no one had it. Definitely no product with petro distil. In it. I used a bleach n water combo the other day on mine. Just water it down to proper amount. Or go to local rv store and buy a roof specific cleaner if your super concerned.
Mikele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 12:02 PM   #4

Dawn with a splash of bleach in a 5 gallon bucket of water. Applied with a medium bristle brush and rinsed with a garden hose-no pressure washer.

I've heard that simple green contains a petroleum based solvent, 2-Butoxyethanol, and if that is accurate, should not be used. This ingredient in simple green regardless is hazardous and causes cancer in animals and the Army banned its use for cleaning aircraft 20+ years ago. It was probably banned because it can cause corrosion of soft metals such as aluminum which is what my solar panel mounts/frame are made of.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 12:06 PM   #5

Carefull with the dawn. Most of the new ones are not compatible with bleach. Says right on the bottle...Do not mix with bleach...for the ones that are not compatible.
Old 07-04-2016, 12:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikele View Post
Carefull with the dawn. Most of the new ones are not compatible with bleach. Says right on the bottle...Do not mix with bleach...for the ones that are not compatible.
Thanks for warning. I never noticed any dichloramine gas smell because it was mixed and used outside where it is always windy. I'm assuming Dawn has ammonia in it?
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 12:21 PM   #7

I use Murphy's oil soap on our roof. It doesn't get the roof snow white but it cleans it good enough for me and it doesn't have harsh chemicals in it. Lots of forum members use Dawn dish detergent but I would caution against that because it's strips the wax off your finish as you rinse it off. Many will dispute that fact, stating they've used it for years, but just google it and you'll have plenty of reading about it from numerous sources. Good luck jonrjen, and be careful up there!
slide5r4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 12:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
Thanks for warning. I never noticed any dichloramine gas smell because it was mixed and used outside where it is always windy. I'm assuming Dawn has ammonia in it?
Not sure about the ammonia. Something with this new oxiginated stuff. I read a long chemistry article the other day, but it was way over my head..lol..I use to do dawn an bleach myself.
Old 07-04-2016, 12:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrjen View Post
Thought about climbing up topside and washing the roof of our 2013 Wildcat 5th wheel.

I have a soft bristle brush on a pole, but what is the best product to use in washing the roof that does a good job and has no negative side effects.

Share your knowledge with me if you would please,

Thanks in advance,
I buy the roof cleaner from (hate to say) Camping World. buy it by the gal will wash my roof clean and white again. But any mild soap will work with a soft bristle brush. Depending on the size like mine 32' it will do last for 2 or 3 times...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 05:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide5r4fun View Post
I use Murphy's oil soap on our roof. It doesn't get the roof snow white but it cleans it good enough for me and it doesn't have harsh chemicals in it. Lots of forum members use Dawn dish detergent but I would caution against that because it's strips the wax off your finish as you rinse it off. Many will dispute that fact, stating they've used it for years, but just google it and you'll have plenty of reading about it from numerous sources. Good luck jonrjen, and be careful up there!
This is correct in fact Dawn dish soap is recommended when detailing a vehicle to remove any old or residual wax or sealant prior to re-waxing or sealing. I suspect Dawn would be ok on the roof itself, but the problem comes in when it runs off on the sides, front cap and rear which is typically waxed or sealed.
Hermes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 06:38 PM   #11
King of the Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikele View Post
Spic n span works great if you can find it. I Went to 4 different stores and no one had it. Definitely no product with petro distil. In it. I used a bleach n water combo the other day on mine. Just water it down to proper amount. Or go to local rv store and buy a roof specific cleaner if your super concerned.
Dollar tree has this often

2016 days camped = 91, 2017 days camped = 109
Dano1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 01:15 PM   #12

Best thing I ever used was the grand kids....

Tags
roo, roof