Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2015, 07:50 AM   #1

Close encounter of a tree kind

In July we were camped at a COE in Montgomery, AL. It was the third night of this years excursion. A storm was brewing so to protect the awning I rolled it in about half way. My reasoning is that there were a lot of tall trees around and they would shelter us from any strong winds and no need to take it in all the way.
I sat in the back of the RV by the big windows waiting for the storm to pass. I don't believe I was there 5 minutes when we heard a noise, which I can't really describe. And a slight movement of the RV. My thought was that a branch fell and hit the awning. It was raining heavy, but I went to the forward door to take a look. It wouldn't open. So I went to the rear door and by opening it a little I could see a tree next to the RV.
When the rain stopped we were able to get out for a closer examination. A 90 ft pine, approximately 18" diameter snapped off and laid down next to and parallel with the RV and TV. It took out awning and all supporting arms, damaged the bedroom slide out and put a hole in the propane tank door. Did not touch the TV.
If the tree had fallen a few feet closer it would have totally destroyed the RV and I do not believe I would be available to tell the story.
We feel very fortunate.
Old 09-12-2015, 08:41 AM   #2

Wow. Close one. Too bad for the damage to the TT but sounds like you were lucky it wasn't any worse. Glad to hear no body was hurt.

Was visiting my Dad in Ohio few years back when a storm like that one came in and knocked down a couple trees in his back yard. We headed for the basement but then just as quickly as it came in, the winds calmed down before we even got to the stairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2015 RAM 2500 4X4, 6.4l hemi, 6sp auto, 3:73 diffs
Equalizer 10,000lb hitch with 1K bars
Swaggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 08:48 AM   #3

Yikes. Something's you just can't plan for. Glad to hear no one was hurt. The things can at least be repaired or replaced.
WillFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 04:59 PM   #4

Glad to hear y'all are safe. The RV can be fixed or replaced.

Tim
2015 Ram 3500 CCLB dually
2015 39R12 Vengeance touring edition.
riznfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 05:29 PM   #5

Back around 1975 we were camped at Salt Fork state park in southern ohio.We had the 11.5' coachman slide in and had it off the truck to make it easier to put the boat in and out. The people we were with had a tent. We saw the bad stuff comming and the park rangers were driveing around telling everyone to seek shelter. When we saw the tornado the four of us scrambled into the coachman and layed down on the floor. That camper shook and bounced and when it was over we got out and the whole slide in was repositioned 4' off the blacktop pad,but otherwise totally intack. They never did find thier tent.We couldnt even leave the place ,half the campground was under water,we were on an island about an acre in size with about 10 other rigs.After 3 days the water went down and we could leave.Never saw anything like that again.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 08:50 PM   #6

We watched a pine tree fall between 2 campsites at Desoto SP during a storm. No damage to eaither campers just scared everyone.
Sierra360PDEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 11:12 PM   #7
Lon

Wow. That pine tree almost became a pine box. Do u think He held that massive pine tree in His hand and laid it down perfectly parallel to your trailer so you would know He was there? What are the chances it would land like that and not touch a single shred of the trailer? I was on the coast a couple of weeks ago when a storm like that came up and the rain hammered the south side of the camper so hard I had a small leak through the outside shower door. The guy next to me got caught with his canopy in full extension and it became the best kite I've ever seen. Ben Franklin would have been proud. We r headed to beaver lake this weekend for the Texas tech Arkansas game and I will opine now that my site will have no pine tree within a hundred yards of my camper. :-)
Lon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 05:24 AM   #8

Close encounter of a tree kind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster 84 View Post
A storm was brewing so to protect the awning I rolled it in about half way. My reasoning is that there were a lot of tall trees around and they would shelter us from any strong winds and no need to take it in all the way.
This is a very naive question. Why not take the awning in all the way? Again, not trying to insult, just trying to understand... How does having the awning in half way provide any benefit, especially if you are inside? I have only RVed 3 times in my new fifth wheel, prior to that I had a Coleman PUP, and no automatic awning thinggy. I am paranoid about winds and limbs, and therefore I take the awning in all the way when not in use.
CC75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 06:01 AM   #9

I am sorry about your loss and you were lucky or blessed or both. But when any kind of storm comes the awning goes in all the way, awnings and wind do not get along, rain it can take

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 06:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC75 View Post
This is a very naive question. Why not take the awning in all the way? Again, not trying to insult, just trying to understand... How does having the awning in half way provide any benefit, especially if you are inside? I have only RVed 3 times in my new fifth wheel, prior to that I had a Coleman PUP, and no automatic awning thinggy. I am paranoid about winds and limbs, and therefore I take the awning in all the way when not in use.
I am curious as to "Why not take the awning in all the way?" Also. If I'm away from my camper especially if it's windy, the awning goes in. My awning is an electric awning and a little wind turns it into a sail.
OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote