Old 09-10-2015, 07:41 PM   #31
Living where I do in northern Minnesota we see a lot of bears. We live in town but on a dead end road bordering the woods.
This happened to me about a month ago.
I get up at 3am. Yes I know weird but we own our own business and it's required.
So my routine is I start the coffee and let the dog out the front door to do her duties. She is usually gone 20 minutes to a half hour and then will scratch at the door to be let back in.
In the meantime I sit on the couch enjoying my morning coffee and surfing the internet.
So just like clock work I heard, or thought I heard the dog at the door.
I got up and walked out to the entry way and opened the inside door. I had my hand on the storm door latch to open it when I seen a big black nose with flaring nostrils right at the screen. The nose was attached to about a 250 pound black bear! We were literally less than a foot apart with just the storm door screen between us.

My reaction was to kick the door and let out a holler! He took off running like all heck. We scared the crap out of each other!!

I then stepped outside and called for my dog. She came from behind the garage somewhere and never knew the better from what I could tell that a bear was at the front door.

They for the most part are harmless but do need to be respected.

Up North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 08:10 PM   #32
2012 Solera
Banff Bears

Earlier this year we went to Banff and Jasper Canadian National Parks. After our first night in Banff, I took the dog for a walk, returned to the Solera, and started filling the fresh water by "bucket brigade" from a nearby water tap. A ranger drove up, stopped, and calmly informed me a bear was behind me. It was across the campground road eating some underbrush - maybe 40 feet away. I went in and grabbed my camera - but the bear had moved on. I walked out to the road looking for the bear - spotted two a little ways down the road. A ranger drove up and instructed me to "return to my camper". I snapped the attached picture and complied. Shortly thereafter I observed at least five ranger vehicles "herding" the bears out of the campground. Only brown/grizzly bears we saw on the trip (saw a lot of black bears).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Grizzlies.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	211.1 KB
ID:	88341  

2012 Solera "S"
Calif SF Bay Area
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 08:16 PM   #33
Site Team
Banff! Beautiful place. Got chased off the golf course by bull elk but no bear. The elk come down to winter on the golf course in September and the herd grew from 5-6 the first day to more that 70 three days later. If you're still there check out the golf course.
2013 Rockwood 8282WS
Reese Revolution Pin, Reese 16K
2008 Tundra Limited Double Cab 5.7L
Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 08:35 PM   #34
Close encounter of the the bear kind

We love Wekiwa Springs and will return there this coming March 2016. We will be in our favorite site #19 which backs up to grassy open area. What site were you on?
RoyalFrog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 08:56 PM   #35
We camped @ Manatee Sgs. SP several years ago & had an awful time with ticks. Our friend got one on her & ended up with Lyme disease & was very sick for quite a while. Being natives of Fla. we are aware of this problem & there are just CGs we will not go to. This being one & O'Leno near Lake City another. It's a shame because they are nice CGs, but we just will not risk it.
We also like Wekiva & Salt Springs, where we will be next week. Happy camping & be safe.
Papa GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 01:22 AM   #36
Not that I advocate killing anything but when I'm camping in areas where I may be on the menu, I keep a large caliber pistol in my possession. I camp with my wife and two small children. I camp on a piece of property that I own and I have images of a 300 lb black bear on my trail cams. He has never shown himself to me and I don't go looking for him.

Elko, Va.
2012 Ram 3500 DRW Cummins High Output
Cedar Creek 36B2
340_Formula_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:25 AM   #37
wekiva bear siting

Wow! we are going there this weekend what site were you on?
siskom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:26 AM   #38
We're at site 48 😊
Michelle Evans
Katy, TX
2011 Carriage Cabo 341
2014 Wildwood 231RBXL - Traded Her In
2016 Days Camped = 5; Reserved = 14 so far
2015 Days Camped = 24 / 2014 Days Camped = 23
Mrs Evans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 09:22 PM   #39
Originally Posted by Mrs Evans View Post
Have you been able to see any manatees?
No manatees on this visit but we were just south of Sarasota & got to bump in to a few swimming in the gulf & intercoastal ....
Camping since May 2013 .... FL & GA only so far .... loving it!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 10:02 PM   #40
You know what they say if your being chased by a Bear make sure you outrun the other guy. My uncle used to tell a story about my aunt mistaking a black bear for their Black Lab one morning while she was coming in from the outhouse. She patted it on the head and said good King then walked in to the camp and found the real King.

Think about things before you do them make life easier not harder.
mark0224 is online now   Reply With Quote