Old 09-09-2015, 10:35 PM   #1

Close Encounter of the Bear Kind

Ok, didn't get a picture but only because I was running into the trailer from a black bear coming towards our campfire. Our campsite is right next to an open glen and we heard some rustling so I asked my DH to turn on the flashlight. I briefly saw a pair of eyes as he swept his flashlight across the glen and I told him where to focus the light, right behind some trees. When he did, Oh My Goodness, there was a huge full grown black bear, his eyes shining directly towards us about 20 ft away. Let me tell you, it seemed a lot closer. I never got out of my chair so fast and got my butt to the trailer. Meanwhile, my DH wisely kept the light focused on the bear while slowly moving towards me as I'm begging him to get inside the trailer, which he finally does. I only say finally because it wasn't fast enough for my liking. Well, writing this out, I'm starting to calm down a little as the rush of adrenaline certainly did rile up my insides more than a little bit. The vacation has definitely been adventurous so far. I haven't even talked about the hike we had this morning, lol! I will never forget Wekiwa Springs State Park!!! 😲

Well, my DH just bought our chairs in and is telling me he regrets missing a photo op 🐾🐾

And I was worried about the alligators, lol!

2014 Wildwood 231RBXL - Traded Her In
2016 Days Camped = 5; Reserved = 14 so far
2015 Days Camped = 24 / 2014 Days Camped = 23
Mrs Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 11:00 PM   #2
Site Team

Actually dh did right, you want to back up slowly, not run from a bear. Glad y'all are safe. Where are you at? When I was in college, I was a wrangler on a dude ranch in Colorado near Mesa Verde. We used to take a 2 day trail ride that took us to an elevation of 10,000 ft. We would ride up a wooded trail, into a field past an old cabin, down another wooded trail and out into another field where we would ride under a rocky cliff overhang, back out in the open and up another hill. One day we popped up over the hill by the cabin to see a large bear. We just made a lot of noise talking and the bear walked off into the woods. Another time on the same trail, we were riding under the overhang and the horses were all acting skittish. This was very unusual for these horses. Couldn't figure out why until we came back out in the open and saw we had just ridden under a mountain lion. we quickly rode on out of the area. Guess I gave those ranch guests more than they bargained for those days. I got some great tips those weeks.

asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 11:01 PM   #3

Glad you got inside quickly...don't know if I could think OR move that fast if I ever saw one! ANd yeah, not hard to outrun an alligator but tough to outrun a bear!

EDIT: Have always hear to make yourself big like a bear and make noise...glad to know to back up slowly. I may never have this type of close encounter but info we all need to know
Old 09-09-2015, 11:12 PM   #4

Sorry Mrs Evans
Forgot to warn you about the bears. Glad ya'll are OK & have a great story to tell. Trip will probably be boring now. We are going to Salt Springs next week; they've been known to have a bear or 2 too.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:12 PM   #5

I've been told that alligators can run pretty fast. I guess I don't want to get into a foot race with either an alligator or a bear. Glad we don't have alligators in Michigan. We do see them when visit Texas & Louisana.
98 days camping 2017
Wayne Joan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 11:13 PM   #6

I was telling my family about our encounter and how I was so scared I just about sh** myself and my brother proceeds to tell me that it's a good thing I was able to scoot before I scat, LOL!
Old 09-09-2015, 11:13 PM   #7

DH here: this was a cool experience! A little scary, but as uninvited guests go, this one behaved pretty well and left without a fuss. With black bears, making yourself big and noisy works well to run them off. This encounter never got that intense.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:13 PM   #8
Site Team

Here is what to do if you see a bear
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 11:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa GLS View Post
Sorry Mrs Evans
Forgot to warn you about the bears. Glad ya'll are OK & have a great story to tell. Trip will probably be boring now. We are going to Salt Springs next week; they've been known to have a bear or 2 too.
No worries, the ranger at check in told us to be careful in the water and on land, lol!
Old 09-09-2015, 11:16 PM   #10

Mrs Evans
You would not need to outrun the bear, just your DH.