Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2006, 09:12 PM   #1
Member of the Year

color of Rockwood white?

Does anyone know what color of white is the fiberglass of the Rockwood trailers? Does anyone know the paint color, CMYK value or Pantone color? Thanks.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:39 PM   #2

I'm pretty sure the color is Polor White.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 10:39 PM   #3
Member of the Year

Michael - do you know which paint manufacturer that is? One guy's polar white is likely to be someone elses glacier white. Thanks again.
Old 09-12-2006, 05:31 AM   #4

This might be a situation where you have to get some paint swatches and try to match as close as possible. Even if you get the correct manufacturer and paint color, it is possible that the current paint on the trailer has faded slightly, unless it is a new trailer, and the repaired area will stick out. The best way would be to have it color-matched on a computer and have the correct color custom mixed. Your problem with that is getting the sample to the paint store to go by.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 06:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokiehall
This might be a situation where you have to get some paint swatches and try to match as close as possible. Even if you get the correct manufacturer and paint color, it is possible that the current paint on the trailer has faded slightly, unless it is a new trailer, and the repaired area will stick out. The best way would be to have it color-matched on a computer and have the correct color custom mixed. Your problem with that is getting the sample to the paint store to go by.
IMHO, To get a sample for computer color-matching, removing a small compartment door is about the only thing I know to do. It's only a matter of removing a few mounting screws. Take the door to the paint dealer for matching. Once done, clean the area, apply Butyl sealant and re-install.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:33 AM   #6
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
I agree with Hokiehall and milzat re the computer color match and removing a cargo door. If that is the way you want to go, that is.

On the other hand, try asking the dealer. If you probe deeply enough you might even find that they can supply you with a spray can of touchup paint, or tell you where to get it. I would suspect that setting up a spray gun would be counter productive for minor cosmetic touch-ups and that they might have such a thing available. Who knows? At the very least, assuming that they have it at all, they should be willing to tell you the color or to give or sell you a ½ pint of the paint if they have it in bulk.

However… Be aware that even if you get exactly the proper paint there will still be a visible difference between the original and repaired areas. The reason is that the area you repaired is now smooth, as opposed to dimpled/threaded appearance of the original surface. Light will reflect differently off of the two surfaces and this will show up, more or less, depending on the angle from which you view the repair.

One other solution you may want to consider is hiding the repair in plain sight, so to speak. Apart from using a decal over the repaired area, and depending on the location of the repair, an airbrush artist should be able to over-paint the area with a picture/name/ logo/whatever of your choice. That might even give a custom look to your trailer and would tend to camouflage the differences in reflectivity. A plus would be that you would not have to paint the area at all; it would be done for you!

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 08:02 PM   #7
Member of the Year

Thanks for all of the tips guys. The paint code is gmwa9296 which is a General Motors color. I feel pretty confident that the color will match because the camper is new and I keep it covered. It's rarely in the sun. I've done the computer matching on some other things before and had varied results, so I think using the manufacturers code is the best option for me.

I do plan to put a decal over the repair to hide some of the smoothness of the repaired area. I'm copying one of the swishes already on the camper. The decal will not cover the entire repaired area and so I want the paint to match as well.

When I get it all done I'll post some before, during and after pics.

Old 09-13-2006, 09:11 PM   #8
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Glad you have decided on what to do and that you have come up with the color code. Thanks for sharing it. I'm looking foreward to seeing the pics. Did you happen to take any during the repair process? If you did, please post those, too. Knowledge is a good thing, one never knows when it might come in handy.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 09:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8317SS
Thanks for all of the tips guys. The paint code is gmwa9296 which is a General Motors color. I feel pretty confident that the color will match because the camper is new and I keep it covered. It's rarely in the sun. I've done the computer matching on some other things before and had varied results, so I think using the manufacturers code is the best option for me.

I do plan to put a decal over the repair to hide some of the smoothness of the repaired area. I'm copying one of the swishes already on the camper. The decal will not cover the entire repaired area and so I want the paint to match as well.

When I get it all done I'll post some before, during and after pics.
For those of you using the default style for the board, here is 8317SS's post in full. For some reason there is a color command in his post which makes most of it white on white, hence unread-able. If you are using the green color scheme for the board, there is no problem in reading the post. Rather than editing his post, I copied it here.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 12:38 PM   #10

Most automotive paint suppliers have a hand scanner they can use. My brother has a body shop and they will come out and scan on location. Almost always a perfect match.
dlturner00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 07:53 PM   #11
Member of the Year

My buddy just painted the spot with the color indicated from Forest River. It matched perfectly. I'm now getting the graphic created that will cover the smoothness of the repair.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:26 PM   #12

Any photos yet?

I'd like to see the before and after if available.