Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2012, 06:19 PM   #1

Colorado Fires & Camping

In 2 weeks we are head to Colorado camping. Anybody have comments on wheather we should change to some place different. Headed first into Rocky Mountain State park area then south to do west of Denver then south to Colorado Spring area.
fkent1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:25 PM   #2

IMHO would consider changing plans. Suggest at least check out Google maps or esri for fire location updates.
FreedomTracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:47 PM   #3
Site Team - Lou

Hate to say it but that place is a mess right now.

I would go to plan B and find a spot that is not in danger.
There is always next year.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:53 PM   #4

We were just in Colorado 44 miles south of the Waldo Canyon fire. It is a terrible thing going on there right now. A lot of people have been evacuated from the areas surrounding the fires and they are taking spaces at camp grounds....and they really need those spaces. There are a lot of other high country places to camp even in Colorado. Just do your due diligence and be extremely careful when cooking or anything to do with fires. There is a statewide ban on fires including smoking outside.
1971 Camaro restomod in progress...yeah right....
djorgensen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:00 PM   #5

Personally if it were me, I would change plans. My folks live there and it is a mess and likely will be for weeks to come. All the typical beautiful views are at least partially obscured from the smoke. 30,000 residents of the Colorado Springs area are displaced from there homes and talking with my dad today the campgrounds are full. I live in Wyoming and we are going through the same thing here. The sad thing is this is just the start of the fire season. Conditions are terribly dry and getting worse by the day. I would at a minimum, keep updated on the fire conditions and plan accordingly.

Nights camped 2012 - 35
Nights camped 2013 - 46
rkswyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:13 PM   #6

I don’t know if you meant Rocky Mountain State Park or the National Park. I am currently sitting at Elk Meadow RV park which is just outside the entrance to RMNP. We’ve been here all week and have been having a ball. Today for the first time the winds changed direction and the mountains were in a light haze.

The firefighters are rapidly getting control of the largest fire in Colorado history, the High Park fire which is many miles north of the park. Currently the worst fire is the Waldo Canyon fire which is in the Colorado Springs area. As it stand right now I think I would reconsider the Colorado Springs area but a lot can happen in two weeks.

There is a fire ban throughout the entire state so if you come, don’t count on having a campfire.

We have been in Colorado since June 16th and I have been making periodic posts about our trip in the Fifth Wheels forum under Cedar Creek. The name of the post is Silverback Trip if you’re interested. Our first week was in the Colorado Springs area and we left the day after the Waldo fire began for Rocky Mountain National Park. Use your common sense and you’ll be fine.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote