Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2013, 10:14 AM   #1

Condensation

We have a 2013 Flagstaff TT. We are in Arizona for the winter and have experienced heavy condensation on our windows each night. It has been down around 30 each night and warms up to upper to mid 50's for the highs. We heat with our TT's furnace and I am wondering if condensation on the windows is common or is there a way to help this. I have read that condensation can cause a lot of damage over time and I am wondering if this is something I need to worry about and correct. Thanks for any words of wisdom!!
nazrev87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:32 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazrev87 View Post
We have a 2013 Flagstaff TT. We are in Arizona for the winter and have experienced heavy condensation on our windows each night. It has been down around 30 each night and warms up to upper to mid 50's for the highs. We heat with our TT's furnace and I am wondering if condensation on the windows is common or is there a way to help this. I have read that condensation can cause a lot of damage over time and I am wondering if this is something I need to worry about and correct. Thanks for any words of wisdom!!
Try cracking a window and turning on your bathroom fan to circulate air.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:36 AM   #3

Run the exhaust fan in the bathroom while taking showers if you have, same for the fan above the stove while cooking. During the day open the blinds and window coverings to let air movement to the windows to help moisture evaporate. Try to keep wet items to a limit inside IE the wet jacket should hung to dry in the tub or shower. Excess moisture on window frames should be wiped off and keep a watch out for things like broken or torn seals around windows, doors etc. It lets in cold damp air.
Keep the air moving with a small fan, it also helps. We live in our unit so I have a small space heater with a fan on all the time.

2006 F350 6.0 with 3.73 gears, 4X4, Extra-Cab Long Box, Oil/Tranny/P.S. Coolers. Coolant filter. SCT Livewire.
2011 Cedar Creek 36RE, Auto levelers + too much to list..!
puff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:36 AM   #4
Love My Sunseeker

Buy some Damp Rid thingies at Wal-Mart. Just hang them around.

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:39 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

As Turbo has mentioned, crack open a window or roof vent. I also recommend that you periodically open cabinet doors and allow the cabinets to warm up. Any cabinet mounted on an outside will also have condensation on that surface too.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:48 AM   #6

Basic science would suggest that the humidity in your trailer is too high, cooking and or showering without venting are likely causes. Now depending on how much condensation is forming on the windows is the reason for concern. I don't think the droplets forming on the windows would do any damage to the windows or frames. However my biggest concern would be the cooler area of your trailer, i. e. inside cabinets, drawers closets etc where moisture can condense and start mold growth. I would vent until windows clear. Happy New Year and enjoy the trailer.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:31 AM   #7

Use a dehumidifier. We used one all last winter while camping in BC. We would have to empty the tank once a day and the TT felt warmer. Most of the campers were using dehumidifiers. The people who did not had a moisture problem.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:02 PM   #8

Use an elect ceramic heater, crack roof vent 24/7, ALWAY use stove exh fan, if this isn't enough then get a small dehumidifier.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiecamper View Post
Basic science would suggest that the humidity in your trailer is too high, cooking and or showering without venting are likely causes. Now depending on how much condensation is forming on the windows is the reason for concern. I don't think the droplets forming on the windows would do any damage to the windows or frames. However my biggest concern would be the cooler area of your trailer, i. e. inside cabinets, drawers closets etc where moisture can condense and start mold growth. I would vent until windows clear. Happy New Year and enjoy the trailer.
That doesn't have to be the case. I was cooking with the vent on, not showering and have a humidistat that showed between 46-53% inside humidity as well as a heater with fan blowing. I had one window, the exit window over the couch that didn't have any "condensation." I came to the conclusion that the windows are leaking, it's not condensation. Otherwise, why would one window not have condensation on it?

I had this same brand of window on a horse trailer and they leaked horribly.
4 Trips 70 nights
SibeTribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:42 PM   #10

SibeTribe, You have a heater with a fan blowing, this could very well be the answer as to why 1 window has no condensation on it and others do - Air Flow as produced by the heater fan, air is likely blowing on this window enough to keep clear, fan doesn't need to be blowing directly at this window to keep it clear. Doubt all your windows except 1 leak.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:10 PM   #11

Quote:
You really need to get it stopped. Condensation is water, it will get inside the walls via the window frames and just leaching through seams etc. It will cause Mildew, insects and worst of all wood damage with delamination inside and outside sheating. DH is probably your best bet with better ventilation. Don't let it continue all season.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:15 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindy View Post
SibeTribe, You have a heater with a fan blowing, this could very well be the answer as to why 1 window has no condensation on it and others do - Air Flow as produced by the heater fan, air is likely blowing on this window enough to keep clear, fan doesn't need to be blowing directly at this window to keep it clear. Doubt all your windows except 1 leak.
That's not the window the fan is blowing on. The ones most likely for it to be blowing on are the ones around the dinette because that is the direction the fan is pointed in. You'd be surprised. The only thing different about that window is that it's an exit window. My guess is it's made on a different line or differently. Possibly even a different mfg. The reason I think they leak is that water came in mainly when it was raining. Some condensation when it was cold and dry out. But, also, my indoor humidity was quite low, even when it was cold out.
4 Trips 70 nights
SibeTribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
Use a dehumidifier. We used one all last winter while camping in BC. We would have to empty the tank once a day and the TT felt warmer. Most of the campers were using dehumidifiers. The people who did not had a moisture problem.
Agreed. Evadry makes a good, small one that we use. Very quite, too. At night we move it near the head of the bed and it eliminates the moisture from our breath.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:37 PM   #14

Thanks to All

Here I am in Arizona with my BW and our little Yorkie and they are having lows in the 20's, coldest in 20 some years. Thank you for all the responses concerning our condensation on our windows. We BARELY cracked open the roof vent in our bathromm and it has completely taken care of the problem. Now all we need is WARMER weather!
nazrev87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Here I am in Arizona with my BW and our little Yorkie and they are having lows in the 20's, coldest in 20 some years. Thank you for all the responses concerning our condensation on our windows. We BARELY cracked open the roof vent in our bathromm and it has completely taken care of the problem. Now all we need is WARMER weather!
I know its not funny but AZ weather has been on the East Coast this year!
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote