Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2016, 10:54 AM   #1

Condensation problem

I have a Rockwood A-Frame trailer purchase late last summer. I am new to this type of RV. I have it parked at my home in the down position. It has been that way for over two months. Yesterday due to a beeping noise, turned out to be a battery dying in smoke detector, I opened up the trailer. I found that I have a condensation problem. Our normal temps are low 20's to upper 30's this time of year, with maybe 10-15" of snow for the whole winter. We have had some temps below zero this year. Right now, we have had that much snow in less than 3 weeks. I have continuously removed the snow from the top of the trailer.

I am planning on finding a dehumidifier and opening up the trailer for a while.

Do you leave your trailers in a down position or up position for the winter?

Have you ever left a dehumidifier running in a trailer parked for the winter?
Old 01-06-2016, 11:08 AM   #2
Site Team

Welcome to the forum. Great question and one that many of us have had experience with.

You will have condensation in the trailer if it is open or closed. The issue is a few days of warm (relatively) humid air followed by a cold night. There are several solutions depending on how severe the problem. You can try the solid dehumidifiers such as damp rid. If they are not enough, you can also try the solid state (pelletier) and finally a small compressor type dehumidifier. You will need power for the last two. The solid state ones are not very effective as they move a small amount of air and can only remove a limited amount of water. The household types are more effective, but take up space, and need to be emptied periodically if not connected to permanent drain. Neither works well once temp is below 40F. I used a solid state model in my PUP years ago, but have a 30Pint household unit in my current TT. It is on a separate power source from house and permanent drain, I shut it off at main (house) breaker when ,40F).
if you have any mold starting, open unit and all windows on a cold dry day and air good. Also wipe mold with the disinfectant product of your choice.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 12:40 PM   #3
Who Dares, Wins

I had a compressor type in the TT for our Florida trip, it worked great but was 40lbs. I switched to the solid state style and it did nothing... I was only able to get about 4oz of water out of the trailer in a week. The larger, compressor style, pulled that in an hour (a gallon in an hour in Florida). Went back to a smaller, bit lighter, compressor style. I have a 30ft TT. Both need to be emptied once in a while. The solid state one I had did not have an external hose drain. The one I have now does. The hose could be run out a slide seal or into the tub if at a full hookup to save the emptying. I just dumped it on the ground or down the sink when I was at a full hook up.

EDIT: Most dehumidifiers will not operate bellow the 40". It will damage the compressor. I leave my roof vents open to let the air circulate.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:26 PM   #4

I prepare for winter leaving vents opened (vent covers installed) trailer covered with a breathable cover not a tarp. I place a 5 gallon pail with rock salt in shower acts like ramp rid and another smaller plastic pail in the kitchen sink. You are doing well to remove the snow from the roof for both weight and condensation. Be sure to check occasionally as the salt pulls the water from the air they may need to be emptied or refreshed I only use it in the shower and sink in case of overflow.
cphubert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:39 PM   #5
Who Dares, Wins

Rock salts an interesting idea. Never would have thought of it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 09:23 PM   #6

Never tried it down south only in New England winter. If I was in Florida I would expect the compressor style of dehumidifier would be the only option. Some have told me the salt leaves a slight odor I have never found that but being retired Navy I may not event notice it.
cphubert is offline   Reply With Quote