Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2014, 08:50 PM   #1

Confused about Corp of Eng. camping

So with the Corp of Eng. parks.. Can you just pull in anywhere and boondock? Also what about National forests? Is it the same with them?
Also is it scary being the all alone in a national forest pulled off somewhere by yourself? Just kinda seems odd to me. Maybe I'm just a chicken.
Sheripoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:30 PM   #2

The Army Corps operates camp sites at various Corps locations. Most that I have searched charge a fee. National Forests are under the US Dept of Agriculture and most also charge a fee. Facility List for Recreation.gov - US Army Corps of Engineers - Recreation.gov
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheripoms View Post
So with the Corp of Eng. parks.. Can you just pull in anywhere and boondock? Also what about National forests? Is it the same with them?
Also is it scary being the all alone in a national forest pulled off somewhere by yourself? Just kinda seems odd to me. Maybe I'm just a chicken.
There is a system for State parks and Fed parks for reservations for numbered camp sites that they charge for. Where did you get your impression it wasn't organized?
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:20 PM   #4

All COE campgrounds have an entrance fee. If you are 62 or older you can purchase an "America the Beautiful" pass for $10 that gives you free entrance for the rest of your life. Google "America the Beautiful Pass" for information. With the pass you get a 50% discount on camp sites and various other discounts on other facilities. If you are active military you get in free also. Or, you can purchase an annual pass for $80. Most COE campgrounds have "walk up" sites. It is suggested though that you make a reservation at recreation.gov. There is no free ride!
The same goes for other US government camp sites. There will always be a fee, even at state parks.
There are no Corps of Engineer campgrounds in Louisiana, there are campgrounds at the National Parks and you can use the "American the Beautiful" pass at Louisiana state parks for free entrance and a 50% discount on camp sites.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 02:01 PM   #5
NELA

LA has pulled out of the "Reserve America" system. There is still the booking fee but now LA collects it for themselves/ourselves.

As for COE, we camp at Lake of the Pines COE just over the TX line from us. Have to reserve specific sites. We camp with "family of choice" who live in TX. They always make the reservations, so not sure how they go about it....which web site, etc.

Absotively gorgeous camp grounds with a beautiful HUGE lake.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 02:48 PM   #6

I camped at South Toledo Bend State Park in April and used the reservation service by Louisiana state parks. They honored my America the Beautiful pass and gave me 50% discount on the camp site.
KT4W
Old 07-03-2014, 03:00 PM   #7

We prefer COE parks as they are all a outstanding value and seem to be consistent with the condition of the parks. Recreation.gov as others have said is the go to site for our travels.
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 03:33 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBoo23 View Post
All COE campgrounds have an entrance fee. If you are 62 or older you can purchase an "America the Beautiful" pass for $10 that gives you free entrance for the rest of your life. Google "America the Beautiful Pass" for information. With the pass you get a 50% discount on camp sites and various other discounts on other facilities.
I'm not sure how this works. Apparently, not all COE campgrounds have entrance fees. We reserve sites at 3 different COE campgrounds and pay no entrance fee although we do pay 50% of site fees when we make our reservations through recreation.gov because we have the "America the Beautiful" Senior Access pass. When we have visitors (friends and relatives), they are not charged entrance fees... although people who use any level of numbered sites are charged site fees.

Oklahoma and Texas state parks we have used DO charge entrance fees, site fees, water fee, trash fees, oxygen fees, sunrise fees, bathroom fees, galaxy viewing fees, etc. I jest. A couple of these items are no-charge benefits!

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 03:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
I'm not sure how this works. Apparently, not all COE campgrounds have entrance fees. We reserve sites at 3 different COE campgrounds and pay no entrance fee although we do pay 50% of site fees when we make our reservations through recreation.gov because we have the "America the Beautiful" Senior Access pass. When we have visitors (friends and relatives), they are not charged entrance fees... although people who use any level of numbered sites are charged site fees.

Oklahoma and Texas state parks we have used DO charge entrance fees, site fees, water fee, trash fees, oxygen fees, sunrise fees, bathroom fees, galaxy viewing fees, etc. I jest. A couple of these items are no-charge benefits!
The Virginia COE will charge guest 3.00 to get in to see you. With the card you get 50% off of fees. You get water and electric only. This year they went to all reservations except 1 park first come first served,10 spaces only for that.. State Parks are like 45.00 a night now with nothing. But no entrance fee's for disabled Vet's. COE much better then the state parks. They do not except any discount cards like the COE. This is in my area do not know if it is different in the Blue Ridge area on the western side of the state.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 04:14 PM   #10
Site Team

It's funny that COE parks seem to be different state to state OR from one park to another. The OK state park we use does not give the "Senior Access" discount but they DO knock off $2 per night at a full service site. Guests can enter for free if there's no one at the gate house (that's usually Monday through Thursday but maybe NOT in the winter) but are charged (I think by the car) if the gate house is "personed" (usually Friday through Sunday).

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 05:24 PM   #11

Georgia State Parks charge a $5 parking fee or you can purchase an annual "Friends of Georgia State Parks" annual pass, $70 for 12 months regardless of when it is purchased and for state senior residents the pass is 1/2 price, $35 which includes one night of camping. The pass gives seniors a 20% discount on camp sites, historic parks may or may not give a discount.
COE campgrounds are managed by volunteer hosts so some may not enforce the rules as they should. Usually with the America the Beautiful pass all that is required is that one person in the vehicle have a pass, does not have to be the driver.
You can't beat the COE campgrounds for price. Gunter Hill COE on the west side of Montgomery, AL has full hook ups in the new section at $13 per night. Cost for camp sites will vary with the campground. The rules are governed by the CoE district they are in.
KT4W

Tags
camping, fuse