Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2010, 09:05 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations

Congratulations are in order to our Canadian friends for their Olympic hockey teams winning the golds in Vancouver, and for hosting the Olympic games !!!!

North America rocks in hockey.......golds and silvers !!!

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:46 AM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Congratulations are in order to our Canadian friends for their Olympic hockey team winning the gold in Vancouver, and for hosting the Olympic games !!!!

North America rocks in hockey.......a gold and a silver !!!
Both Men and Women's Teams!
For a country that had never won Gold during any Olympics on home soil they sure made up for it this time.
Let's hear for the USA for breaking the record for number of medals in a Winter Olympics by any country at 37.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 03:42 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to BENTE
yea i really enjoyed the winter olympics.. too bad they only happen every four years.. i hate that we don't get to see sports like skiing, curling, luge and bobsled like we used to with wide world of sports.. oh well i guess i will have to search for those world cup events. i am sure someone will show it... at least i hope so

tb

2009 Wildwood 26tbss
Nights Camped in 2010 38
BENTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 05:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENTE View Post
yea i really enjoyed the winter olympics.. too bad they only happen every four years.. i hate that we don't get to see sports like skiing, curling, luge and bobsled like we used to with wide world of sports.. oh well i guess i will have to search for those world cup events. i am sure someone will show it... at least i hope so
Check out Universal Sports TV for your winter sports fix every year. They are and NBC channel.
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:33 PM   #5

Congratulations to both. I agree. I will drink a beer to both teams next time I'm camping.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:21 PM   #6
CLASS "A" Senior Member

For me the most impressive presentation of the Olympics was Tom Brokaw's People of Gander Newfoundland. What a community of people. During one of the worst times in history this community of people welcomed the travelers on International flights after US Air space was close on 9-11-2001 until 9-13-2001. 39 Jets were parked like a used car lot at a regional air port. A community of 10,000 people were given the task of taking care of over 6,500 passengers.The people of Gander gave these passengers food, clothing, lodging and asking nothing in return. It makes me feel bad that most of the world never knew of their kindness until a few days ago. It's these people that give me hope that someday this world won't have to worry about the problems we have today. GOD BLESS THE PEOPLE OF GANDER and most importantly THANK YOU. You all are an inspiration to this world!

If you didn't see it you missed something that really touched my heart. Hopefully it will be available on YouTube. Please take the time to at least read about their incredible kindness. Google: People of Gander Newfoundland 9-11-2001

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 03-02-2010, 12:35 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I had a friend that was delayed in Newfoundland for that time period, and would think it was the same place. He and his wife were invited into someone's home for the duration.....he can't talk enough about his stay there.....a wonderful time during a terrible situation.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
For me the most impressive presentation of the Olympics was Tom Brokaw's People of Gander Newfoundland. What a community of people. During one of the worst times in history this community of people welcomed the travelers on International flights after US Air space was close on 9-11-2001 until 9-13-2001. 39 Jets were parked like a used car lot at a regional air port. A community of 10,000 people were given the task of taking care of over 6,500 passengers.The people of Gander gave these passengers food, clothing, lodging and asking nothing in return. It makes me feel bad that most of the world never knew of their kindness until a few days ago. It's these people that give me hope that someday this world won't have to worry about the problems we have today. GOD BLESS THE PEOPLE OF GANDER and most importantly THANK YOU. You all are an inspiration to this world!

If you didn't see it. Please make time to. Google: People of Gander Newfoundland 9-11-2001
You are right. And I'll bet these good Samaritans in Gander could not have cared less whether they got any publicity for their good deeds or not. Which proves their hearts were REALLY in the right place.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:35 PM   #9

Double post - sorry about that !!

...VTX-AL
VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:41 PM   #10

Just a tiny correction here - the airport at Gander is actually an "International Airport" capable of handling all types of modern aircraft, and is a major Air Traffic Control Center for North Atlantic air travel. And, speaking from personal experience (stationed at Gander 1969-73) the "Newfies" , as the rest of us Canadians affectionately refer to them, are invariably a kind and generous group of folks who would gladly give you the shirt off their back or the last hunk of beef in the freezer if you were in need.

...VTX-Al
VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post

If you didn't see it. Please make time to. Google: People of Gander Newfoundland 9-11-2001
Luckily for me I have been on vacation every time there has been an air traffic crisis and haven't had to put up with the repercussions of it at work.

I wished I would have caught the show. Would like to have seen that.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:11 PM   #12
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTX Al View Post
Just a tiny correction here - the airport at Gander is actually an "International Airport" capable of handling all types of modern aircraft, and is a major Air Traffic Control Center for North Atlantic air travel. And, speaking from personal experience (stationed at Gander 1969-73) the "Newfies" , as the rest of us Canadians affectionately refer to them, are invariably a kind and generous group of folks who would gladly give you the shirt off their back or the last hunk of beef in the freezer if you were in need.

...VTX-Al
I didn't mean it's a regional airport. It just looked that way with all those jets parked everywhere, but thanks for the information. Here's a link where the picture of the airport is along with the stories.

http://www.ganderairport.com/911.htm

These people are truely very special.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 03-03-2010, 11:15 AM   #13

You neighbours across the border are simply just awesome. Thanks !! It was good hockey all around and either side could of won it.
Team Wilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:16 AM   #14

Being from Vancouver, let me tell you the Olympic vibe here in town was amazing. This city has never felt anything like it before, I sure hope it lasts through the Paralympics starting in a week and a half. Both hockey finals were amazing, weren't they? I was so absorbed in all the sports, I actually found myself watching curling....and really enjoying it!?!?!?! Thanks for all of the kind words from our southern neigbours!
Tow Vehicle: '92 F350, Crew Cab, 4X4, Cummins 5.9 24 Valve, 6spd.Driver:Clint, Navigator:Melanie, 1 dog (Great Pyrenees/Akbash cross) and now a cat too. Mission Statement: Just another adventure! Towed vehicle:2009 Roo 19 with lots of mods!
cmcct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:25 AM   #15
CLASS "A" Senior Member

I enjoy the Winter Games much more than the Summer Games. Watching skiers going down a hill at speeds I rather not drive at is incredible. If you look at snow boarding in the Half-Pipe, when the boarders come out of the top they're stories above the top, not to mention the bottom. Aerials, those people are just plain crazy. I think I pulled a muscle just watching them twist in the air and then land without killing themselves. We really enjoyed the closing ceremony as well, the Canadian humor is great and Neil Young's "Long May You Run" was the perfect song for the occasion.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR