Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2015, 01:32 PM   #21
Old Timer Newbie

Know What You're Getting

I am assuming most of the replies you receive are going to be positive via this Forum but realize that Forest River isn't perfect.

I currently have a dealer tech onsite to address a black/grey water issue we're having in our brand new Georgetown 378XL.

It turns out that when our motorhome was shipped to our dealer the black water vent was mounted about 5 inches too low into the tank - it didn't even go above the roof line on the other end.

While the tech is able to fix it, he cannot ensure it is high enough or that it is sealed properly below the floor so we'll need to see if his fix is effective.

We have had a lot of poor quality issues with our Georgetown and the dealer was less then stellar in the repairs/work which isn't Forest River's problem but it does speak to their lack of quality control.

Not very impressed when so much work needs to be done on something new and something that is so expensive.

Just my 2 cents worth...Sauce
sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 01:49 PM   #22

I have been happy with both of my FR products so far. I find this forum is far more active than other manufacturer-specific forums. While that might seem silly, I actually consider it very important. The wealth of experience and intelligence in this community is pretty hard to beat. I think some of that is simply the fact they are the largest, but some of it is the FROG community itself.
Old 06-19-2015, 02:04 PM   #23

I been very happy with our Sunseeker, this is my 3rd RV. Have had only minor problems all fixed under warranty some of them happened I full year after warranty expired and FR took care of them at no cost. I read a lot RV magazines all of them have a section that deals with customer complaints with unresolved issues with warranties. Forest River had very few complaints. Some other companies had lots of problems even though they make a lot fewer products than FR. Good luck.
edcronin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 02:31 PM   #24

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
Check the bottom of the slides. If they have the Darco wrap. Pass on the Forest River. The Darco is trouble with a capital T.

Soon to be 3 years on my Crusader. Except for the Darco bunching and tearing and the electric rear stabilizing jacks, we are pleased. The jacks quick because of the stripped key. 1/8" key that broke and new assembly is over $400. dollars. I use the manual crank now.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 04:13 PM   #25

100% agree with Flybob. A good dealership is very important. While the quality of FR products is generally excellent , there may be an occasion when service is needed. IMO buy local if you can, from a reputable dealer if you can, and hope for the best. Good luck with your purchase.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 04:24 PM   #26

Do the research or regret it.

I hate to pee on the picnic, but I have a $45,000 lemon that proves that everything is not great with FR products. I have a good dealer who has tried to help, but the manufacturing problems are still there and always will be. My advice is to be extremely careful in making this decision. Go to some other forums as well as reviewing the several issues that have been documented here in recent months. I have a year's worth of e-mails, letters and pictures that speak for themselves as to what a mess you may have to endure if you do not check and double check every possible issue before you accept your unit. If you want details, contact me directly as I do not think it is appropriate to do that here.
magpi26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 07:44 AM   #27

Had a Keystone Cougar for 7 years before switching to the FR Flagstaff. While the Keysone was starting age, mainly roof starting to bubble. Did find a dealing willing yo fix it for a reasonable price, he carried both Keystone and FR products. He offered us better than Bluebook as well as a couple of upgrades on the Flagstaff. Bottom line the dealer makes all the difference, have two minor issues with the tt which dealer fixed very fast. Good service on his part. Loving the FR product, and reading this thread, I am convinced no rv product comes as a trouble free product, which reflects back on QC. Having a dealer take care of these is worth a lot. Like anything you buy use age will bring out issues as well, again it comes back to a good dealer! Remember rvs are a collection of other manufacturers parts, not rv manufacturers fault entirely. I will go with another FR product and the same dealer.
Days camped in FR 2011-12 = 77, 13-14 = 98, 15-16 = 129
17 = 81, 18 = 44, 19 = 83, 20= 45, 21 = 76, 22 = 57, 23 = 42
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 10:22 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
I would not even consider a different manufacturer.

No bull; just fact. I have NEVER seen a company that will go the extra hundred miles like this one.

X2 - if it's not Forest River, it's not hooked to our truck-EVER!

Like Lou, I have never seen a company go the extra mile for owners or treat them as nicely as Forest River does!

Sent from my iPad Air using FRF App for iOS
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 12:22 PM   #29

Just an observation, I came out of the boating industry and had moderate sized boats up to 36 foot for 35 years and I sold boats for 6 years. My experience with my FR product has been far better than my experience with top manufacturers in the boat industry. A product that entails a lot of man hours to build is going to have issues. It's the nature of the beast. I don't have to fix something every time I want to take my RV out. Purchasing and fixing my RV costs far far less than any of my boats
It's all part of the experience. Enjoy it!

Days Camped. 2015: 17
Days Camped 2016: 58
keeprr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 07:22 AM   #30

One point I'd like to make - a lot of your experience will also be in how you treat/maintain the camper. On each prep, inspect your camper thoroughly, looking for little issues and addressing them before they become big problems. On each clean-up, repeat the process before putting the camper away. My DH is very meticulous (i.e., anal!) and, time and time again, saved us some big repair bills.
Old 06-22-2015, 07:58 AM   #31

The lite is the first trailer we bought, it has been a great unit and would not hesitate if we wanted a bigger one.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:28 AM   #32

I too was a keystone owner with a montana 5th wheel. This winter decided to downside a little (including truck) and got a 2015 grey wolf 26dbh. The very few times I've interacted with costumer service, I've had resolutions the same day. (Minor problems that the selling dealer didn't install or inform me on) but with keystone I had more headaches than I want to think about with their customer service. Now Ive only been here (hello everyone) a few months but from being on the forum that I was on before to this one, everyone helps everyone as much as they can, there are some great personalities on here and some people with true passion for the outdoors and their camper/rv's. I might not chime in as much as i want to....but seeing you might be following my path, I haven't had a bad experience at all in my camper, in this great forum or with forest river themselves. It's a move that every day I'm happy I made.
millerman2brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:32 PM   #33

My 2013 320rs Columbus went back to factory last fall. When I got it back early March they had repaired all my issues and then some. They had to put over $7000 into ours including new tires, wheel, & axels. We have camped over 10 weeks this year without one problem. I could ask no more of Forest River they treated us very well.
Barefoot68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 10:13 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post

Like Lou, I have never seen a company go the extra mile for owners or treat them as nicely as Forest River does!

I have to get some warranty work done this Friday at a Camping World that sells Montana's. I have looked at them before and I don't think Montana will do but I have to ask them about something I like on a Montana. If they would say yes I would trade my Cedar Creek in a heartbeat

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 10:28 AM   #35
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post

X 3. I've had two now and FR has been good. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 10:48 AM   #36

I could be wrong as I have been wrong before so correct if I'm wrong but when we have a problem with the camper we call that division. I have a Cedar Creek so I call Cedar Creek not Forest River. When I had a problem with the Polecat I called Wildcat, not Forest River. Forest River just owns the different brands. I have been treated very well with the people at Cedar Creek, I have called Wildcat and no one would ever call me back. The only people I could talk to was the dealer

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 02:35 PM   #37

I recently purchased a 2015 33.7 heritage glen. A/C was not keeping up at all. Dealer switched out main A/C from 13500 btu to 1500 btu and inducted the bedroom and main a/C.
When we are camping at a 30amp and can only use the 1 A/C it struggles to keep camper cool. It seems to be coming out at a good temp, but just cant keep up.
Past campers with only 1 A/C I never had a problem. Past campers were white and this one is mostly tan of course. Could that have that much effect?
9510gmw
gmw9510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 03:09 PM   #38

gmw9510, you posted this in the wrong place, This is a thread about considering switching to Forest River. Best to start a new thread.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 03:09 PM   #39

gmw9510 ... your fiver is right at 40' ... although I understand the constraints on 30 amp ... that's alot of fiver to cool with just one unit. Surely the original main unit wasn't a 13,500 btu??? I had a 33' SOB fiver before my 33IK and on a really hot day it wouldn't keep up with just one A/C. My 33IK at 37' will just barely hold it's own on a really hot day with just the 15,000 BTU main unit running.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 08:42 AM   #40

Dieselguy is right....never had a 5er able to keep up with one AC except maybe at night...
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest river