Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2015, 06:29 AM   #1

Considering switching to Forest River

We've been a long time Keystone family ( 3 years with a Zeppelin and 10 years with a 30ft Cougar). In all this time we have really enjoyed our Cougar and have had little to no problems with it. Due to its age we are considering trading ours in and going with the Forest River 33RETS. I've done some research and found that it seems to be a pretty good model.

Any advice, recommendations, suggestions about the pro's and con's with Forest River is greatly appreciated.
bmbdcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 06:43 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum!
I think you'll find the vast majority on this these boards are very happy with their Forest River... And I think most would do their best to stay in the family. Speaking for myself, we're on our 3rd TT and would exhaust all FR options before moving onto another MFG.
Good luck on finding your next camper.

2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L CrewMax

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 06-19-2015, 07:02 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou

I would not even consider a different manufacturer.

No bull; just fact. I have NEVER seen a company that will go the extra hundred miles like this one.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 07:21 AM   #4
clr

You will love dealing with Forest River. I had a Keystone Everest and email keystone several times most with NO response. I email Prime Time a Forest River Company and I have always received a timely response. Customer service is outstanding at FR and poor at Keystone IMO. Good luck and happy camping.
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 07:27 AM   #5
Senior Junior Member

Switched too...

We have been Keystone folks too with a Montana 5th, Cougar 5th then a Outback TT bunkhouse (thinking grandkids, etc.). That did not pan out as envisioned so we decided to focus more on ourselves and get something more suitable for travel and ordered a FR Sunseeker MBS 2400R. Drives and maneuvers similar to my Ram crew cab dually. Keystone has been good for us as far as minor issues, but one thing that bothered me more than anything was the fading of the front cap on all three. I love the look (not cost) of the full body paint and hope that solves the fading issue with all the graphics being paint as opposed to decals as well as the 4 coats of clear coat on top that can be waxed.
Old 06-19-2015, 07:30 AM   #6

I'm happy with my unit, but my post sale experience has been very sub par. That has to do with my dealer as much as anything.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 07:32 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr View Post
I email Prime Time a Forest River Company and I have always received a timely response.
X2, Prime Time has been very helpful to me even after the warranty ran out.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 07:56 AM   #8
Site Team

A big factor in your decision should be the dealer. The dealer can make your experience very good or very bad.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 08:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDHfan View Post
Welcome to the forum!
I think you'll find the vast majority on this these boards are very happy with their Forest River... And I think most would do their best to stay in the family. Speaking for myself, we're on our 3rd TT and would exhaust all FR options before moving onto another MFG.
Good luck on finding your next camper.

2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L CrewMax

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Thanks KDHFan for the positive response ( and for the welcome ) !
Old 06-19-2015, 08:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
I would not even consider a different manufacturer.

No bull; just fact. I have NEVER seen a company that will go the extra hundred miles like this one.
Thanks Herk for the response!
Old 06-19-2015, 08:56 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr View Post
You will love dealing with Forest River. I had a Keystone Everest and email keystone several times most with NO response. I email Prime Time a Forest River Company and I have always received a timely response. Customer service is outstanding at FR and poor at Keystone IMO. Good luck and happy camping.
Hi CLR, since I have only had to deal with my dealer on repairs/warranty issues I have never had to deal directly with Keystone but I have heard that they are not the best. Thanks for your honesty!
Old 06-19-2015, 08:59 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexnut View Post
We have been Keystone folks too with a Montana 5th, Cougar 5th then a Outback TT bunkhouse (thinking grandkids, etc.). That did not pan out as envisioned so we decided to focus more on ourselves and get something more suitable for travel and ordered a FR Sunseeker MBS 2400R. Drives and maneuvers similar to my Ram crew cab dually. Keystone has been good for us as far as minor issues, but one thing that bothered me more than anything was the fading of the front cap on all three. I love the look (not cost) of the full body paint and hope that solves the fading issue with all the graphics being paint as opposed to decals as well as the 4 coats of clear coat on top that can be waxed.
Hi Hex!

Believe it or not at 10 years our Cougar is just now beginning to fade ( and this in the South Florida sun...just I've been lucky). What we are seeing is the separation on the front of the outer shell to the wood underneath (kind of a bubble affect).
Old 06-19-2015, 10:16 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
A big factor in your decision should be the dealer. The dealer can make your experience very good or very bad.
You are absolutely right Flybob! I would actually be looking to buy this one from the same dealer who sold me the 2 Keystone's.
Old 06-19-2015, 12:12 PM   #14

You will find good and bad about any MGG. We have had 2 FR campers. 1 TT, 1 fifth wheel. Have had 1 great experience and 1 bad experience. So go with your heart and a good dealer

bryanteddie0924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:19 PM   #15

It needs to be said over and over: The dealer is everything. In my opinion the dealer is 50% of the equation. Maybe more.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:20 PM   #16

I am new to Forest River but have nothing but good to say. My dealer was very good and on the first request regarding the barbecue grill that came with our Mini Lite, Forest River voluntarily just sent a complete new grill UPS direct to my home. How can anyone complain about that kind of after sale service.
keeprr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:26 PM   #17

Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
I'm happy with our Windjammer by Forest River Rockwood. The only complaint I have is trying to get a response out of the factory on getting instructions on how to safely adjust one of our slides. I'm going to try a third time to get a response after even talking to the factory about it.
Grampa Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:40 PM   #18

The dealer is huge but so is the product. Our third fiver was a 2013 Cougar that we bought new and it was a nightmare. We had numerous problems from the get go. These were mostly electrical problems but there were others as well The dealer had a superb service department and that's what probably kept them going as their products seemed pretty questionable. After two years of nothing but headaches we dumped it and got a Cedar Creek Silverback. We've only used it for 10 nights so far but the build quality seems far superior to the Keystone product. That being said, there were certain design features of the old one that we liked. There is no perfect RV

Cheers
6.6 Duramax / Allison 1000
Flatlander49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 01:09 PM   #19

Three Way Campers in Marietta, GA have been wonderful to deal with so far.
Santabobswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 01:24 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evereddie View Post
It needs to be said over and over: The dealer is everything. In my opinion the dealer is 50% of the equation. Maybe more.
I couldn't agree with you more Evereddie!

Tags
forest river