Old 05-20-2012, 11:01 PM   #1

"Construction site" generators and the noise!

Got back from a weekend of dry camping with my family and a co workers family. We had an annual "kickoff" over 300 campers converged on a local campground to get the 2012 season off. We were packed in fairly tight basically backing units up pretty much against each other but staggered. I was next to my co worker. The family behind him had a large construction site type generator sitting on a rear travel trailer bumper mounted platform that looked like it was hanging on for dear life (accident waiting to happen). Anyway he fires this thing up and it basically right in the line with my buddies living area. He could not sit under his awning or anywhere outside his camper as this generator was wailing away. He went over said something to the guy he offers to help him remove it from the platform and carry it over to his living side of his campsite (so he can enjoy his own noisemaker) and the guy says he was not going to run it very long. 4 hours later its still blaring away. The absolute rudeness of some people is unreal. I have a set of Honda 2000's my buddy just last week bought a Yamaha 2000. I felt bad for him he dropped the coin on a good,quiet,neighbor friendly unit and got to listen to this 300 dollar racket. The next day the guys wife comes out and proceeds to tell me the guy at the RV center told her "why spend the money on a quiet generator when somebody with a loud cheaper unit is gonna be next to you anyway" I was speechless I simply told her the RV guy was correct as she could see both me and my co worker dropped money on quiet generators and wound up with her next to us. These folks had a real nice travel trailer too it was a Forest River forgot the model i think it was a Hemisphere but it could not have been more than 2 years old had double slide outs im sure not a small purchase. The generator is where they choose to cheap out and in the process ruin the weekends for others. I understand times are tough some folks may not have the money for the quiter generators but use some common courtesy and run the racket makers only as much as absolutley needed. Before we left today my buddy went over and thanked the guy for ruining his weekend. The guy told him "my wife was on the laptop and thats why it was running so long." Forgive my french here but its simply seems some people just dont give a sh*t. Had to vent a bit and it was not even me who got the abuse. Luckily he was able to come by my site and enjoy some peace (we could still hear the dam thing from my site). My coworkers wife is writing a letter to the county parks commission they should make it a rule that generators need to be placed on the entrance/living side of each campsite period. I could guarantee if this guy had to listen to his own generator it would not have been running. Rant off sorry for the longwinded complaining session here. I hope everyone who camped this weekend enjoyed it. I have another big weekend coming up 5 days of camping in East Hampton Long Island.

Nights camped in 2014 = 19
(2013 = 36)
(2012 = 42)
JFM-jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:05 PM   #2

Exactly why I refuse to have or camp near loud generators. Totally ruins the experience for me.

Nights camped 2012 - 35
Nights camped 2013 - 46
rkswyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:09 PM   #3

I have a buddy that used to use one of those at the dragstrip. It was mounted on the front of his race trailer which he'd unhook from his motorhome. One night he left it run while he went to bed and his neighbor topped off the tank with water. Problemo solved. The next day the neighbor came over and hepled him get it going again and they're still friends.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:29 PM   #4

Just be glad you don't live beside the jerk!
Some people are born inconsiderate. There is no cure.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:09 AM   #5

there is always something that block the fun. You go camping for a change in the life and enjoy quitetness and good air. I went to visit my son that was on a big camping along the st laurence river on this holiday weekend.. Gess what! the roads running in the campground near the trailers was so dusty that even if the cars were going very slowly the dust was like cement dust. All the campers were eating dust. Why the campgroung could not spend a bit of money and put a bit of solution to reduce the dust a bit. For the price they charge now there is no reason to leave issues like that spoilling the joy of camping. Also in some campgrounds where it is sandy the ants are kings and turn your life crazy. Also there the campgroung should take care of this situation but I presume it is too expensive.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:39 AM   #6

I enjoy peace and quiet also but only during the CG quiet hours. If you want total peace and quiet you have 2 choices. Boondock or check yourself into a 4 star hotel because if there is no electricity and they are operating during the non quiet hours then it is your fault for going there. I pay extra for electricity and make sure that every site near me has it so I do not take the chance of hearing it. It is like going to a hotel and paying 30$ a night and complaining that the view sucks. If you wan an amenity then pay for it. Peace and quiet= electric hookups at every site!!!!
1999 Yamaha Grizzly
1996 HD Dyna Wide Glide
Namchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:53 AM   #7

I am completely on your opinion regarding generator noise!
Old 05-27-2012, 08:37 AM   #8
Site Team - Lou

For those who intend to "dry camp" while waiting for a hookup site at a military FAMCAMP, be aware that overly loud generators are banned.

The Safety folks have audio testers and routinely check. The Security Police occasionally "assist" folks with construction type generators off the base.

One person at Patrick AFB insisted he not only needed to run his construction generator; but he needed to do it for his CPAP machine all night. He was furious that he was asked to pack up and leave; or stay in the "Q" ( military type hotel room) if there was space available or an area hotel.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 05:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namchief View Post
I enjoy peace and quiet also but only during the CG quiet hours. If you want total peace and quiet you have 2 choices. Boondock or check yourself into a 4 star hotel because if there is no electricity and they are operating during the non quiet hours then it is your fault for going there. I pay extra for electricity and make sure that every site near me has it so I do not take the chance of hearing it. It is like going to a hotel and paying 30$ a night and complaining that the view sucks. If you wan an amenity then pay for it. Peace and quiet= electric hookups at every site!!!!
I guess there is another way to look at this. If you require full power 24/7 when camping, then make sure you go to a campground with power. At the very least buy a generator that doesn't disturb your neighbours.

I was camping last weekend and there were a few inconsiderate people with loud generators running all the time. It wasn't warm enough to even consider turning on the A/C, so it wasn't like that was a factor.

Telling somebody they have to find some remote place to boondock because they want to get out and have a relaxing weekend seems a little pushy. There are reasons many campgrounds have certain times you can run a generator. It seems to me the people who want quiet are likely in the majority; otherwise those rules wouldn't exist.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:20 PM   #10

"Telling somebody they have to find some remote place to boondock because they want to get out and have a relaxing weekend seems a little pushy."
------
Indeed.
I don't think the OP was complaining that the neighbours were running a generator, but that they were inconsiderate. No one should be running a noisy "construction" generator in any campground, as that is simply rude.
If they are too cheap to buy a proper generator, so as to not bother others excessively, it is they who should be camping somewhere else, JMO.
We are all out to , and most people are very considerate.

Tags
led pad