Old 02-29-2016, 10:20 AM   #41

My experience with the Yeti tumblers is positive for cold beverages and average for coffee. It seems that the coffee just doesn't stay hot beyond an hour or so. Fortunately, for me, I don't like it super hot so after my hour drive to work it is the perfect temp.

We have 2 30 oz, 1 20 oz, and one of the "low ballers". Happy with each of them, and fortunately we bought them before they were popular so the cost was reasonable.

For coolers.... Ain't happening. I saw the need for a rugged cooler but wasn't going to pay for a Yeti. I purchased the Igloo Sportsman 20 for baseball tournaments and to take on the beach. For $99, it has served us well. We also purchased a Pelican 35. I have trusted Pelican products for years and the cooler hasn't let me down. We usually load it up with Ice before going on vacation and just restock the smaller cooler with it.

They are not going to keep ice for a week when you are opening them several times a day (or hour), but no cooler will. Where the Igloo shines is that we can place a frozen Gatorade bottle in it along with our cold drinks and sandwiches and they will remain cold all day at the baseball field. We don't have to load it up with ice which would result in having to take a larger cooler.

2016 Sandpiper 376BHOK
2500HD Chevrolet

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Old 02-29-2016, 02:29 PM   #42

I can go camping for a week for the cost of one of these coolers & don't have to worry about my old Coleman getting stolen

Can't afford them period

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 01:58 PM   #43

For dry camping or some of the sportsman out there hunting and fishing with out hook ups I can certainly see the value of one model or the other of the high price ice keeping coolers. But for camping with an RV where you have a fridge and freezer to keep the food stores cold and frozen I couldn't see the need to spend big dollars. I generally take one cooler camping, in basically small, medium and large depending on the length of the outing, to sit outside the rig and hold primarily beer and bottled water. Like several other posters I use a 26# daily ice maker to replenish the ice in the cooler of choice. Often when camping with family and friends I can supply one or two additional coolers with ice if we don't leave the campground and its making ice all day. $115 at Target the last I saw.
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 10:17 PM   #44

Cooler Talk-Coleman, Yeti and Rtic

I have been intrigued by the Rtic brand for a while and honestly did t take them seriously. I noticed that they sponsored a car for the Daytona race ( it failed to make the cut) and thought there might be a little more to it than a scam. Bought 3 of their tumblers as indicated on another post here and decided to replace my older Coleman. It works great btw but it's pretty beat up. Took the plunge. Sure I could have bought two more colemans for the price of the RTic but wanted to give it a chance. We will see if it was money well spent. I think it will come in handy with the BBQ thing as well.

Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 11:14 PM   #45

I pre-ordered an RTIC cooler, but canceled it after multiple delays in shipping dates. I figured I wasn't saving any money by buying it early, so I will just wait until they are readily available.
Old 04-24-2016, 07:50 PM   #46

Well....the coolers that I ordered showed up Friday while we were camping ironically. I purchased a 20qt and a 45. My first impressions were that quality control is not a priority. These are little things by the way..but for a hundred dollars these things should be right. The 20qt handle grip is off center and there is some adhesive on one of the corners. The 45 is missing the decal logo altogether. You would think that a company who is trying to get their name out would make sure that their name is on the cooler. Overall I think these coolers are a solid value and will likely out live me. To be honest, we wanted something to start "stickering" from all our adventures. I started putting them on the camper only to realize eventually it will get sold.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1461541442.495641.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	289.6 KB
ID:	105967Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1461541454.614711.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	289.6 KB
ID:	105968Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1461541475.844828.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	286.6 KB
ID:	105969

Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 08:43 PM   #47

Okay so we have..
Yeti
Pelican
Grizzly
Engel
K2
Rtic
Bison
Orca
Brute
Canyon

Wow, how many brands of these things are there? I'm sure I missed a few.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:17 PM   #48

The Yeti's seem nice, but I can't justify the cost. My solution to keep the ice from melting and beer getting warm.....drink them faster.
Old 04-25-2016, 04:37 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeprr View Post
I bought the large ice maker for the trailer. I keep it running and empty it into my trusty "old technology" coleman. The ice maker makes up to 22 lbs a day, more than enough for the two of us. The additional cost for a "state of the art" technology cooler will more than pay for the ice maker.
For RV use this would make more sense to me than a very expensive cooler. Considering RVers usually have access to either to 110 or 12v an electric cooler would make sense too as they can keep stuff frozen indefinitely.
Old 04-25-2016, 05:11 PM   #50
Land of the Midnightsun

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeprr View Post
I bought the large ice maker for the trailer. I keep it running and empty it into my trusty "old technology" coleman. The ice maker makes up to 22 lbs a day, more than enough for the two of us. The additional cost for a "state of the art" technology cooler will more than pay for the ice maker.
Yep. How we roll. Our ice maker feeds our Coleman extreme 70 qt and also works for our 3 pitcher margarita machine

Elite Ready Brutte tow bar & Blue Ox base plate
Never mistake Knowledge for Wisdom. One helps you make a living the other help you make a LIFE.
jjSpeedwagon is online now   Reply With Quote