Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2019, 07:49 PM   #1

Copoilt gps app

anyone using the copilot GPS app for rvs. I do not want to buy another electronic device so hoping to get some good feed back on this app.
blasingame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:49 PM   #2

I have used it a few times

I'm not sure it will keep you off every road it should, so use your best judgement when using it. The price is right.

It's likely as good as stand alone GPS units in this regard from what I've heard.
The downfall is that unlike a stand alone GPS, the maps are internet based, and require a cell connection and data.
I had run out of data when traveling through the remote areas of N Arizona due to all the pictures we took uploading to the cloud. This rendered the app, along with Apple and Google maps useless, as the Verizon safe mode can't keep up.
I will likely buy a stand alone GPS as a result, but haven't made any decisions yet.
Researching these things is enough to make you dizzy. Some like one, and some like another. They all have pros and cons.
n1acguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:58 PM   #3

Haven't used that app, but I'll try it next trip.

As stated above, the main problem with apps is that they depend on having a cell signal which we've found unreliable once we get away from cities. We lose signal on our Garmin occasionally, but it's usually pretty dependable.
Old 12-10-2019, 02:37 AM   #4

The maps for Co Pilot are downloaded to your device. They are not internet based. You can choose to download each state or N. America or Just the US. The only part that uses the internet is the traffic.

I use it in my Motorhome and in my Semi. Works very well no complaints.

But as with any electronic nav system don't rely on it alone.
Grizz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 05:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz1 View Post
The maps for Co Pilot are downloaded to your device. They are not internet based. You can choose to download each state or N. America or Just the US. The only part that uses the internet is the traffic.

I use it in my Motorhome and in my Semi. Works very well no complaints.

But as with any electronic nav system don't rely on it alone.

You're right. Thanks, for the info. I'll have to give it another try.
Maybe we we were using Apple or Google maps.

I'm not sure why I had a problem when I ran out of data.

I didn't find the app to be very intuitive, so I might have reverted back to one of those at that time.
It seems like there was a way to display it on the Sony unit in the RV, but once I lost it, all I could get to come up on Carplay were the cell phone apps.
I have to use this app more. I really don't want to buy a stand alone GPS if I don't have to.
Old 12-10-2019, 05:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1acguy View Post
You're right. Thanks, for the info. I'll have to give it another try.
Maybe we we were using Apple or Google maps.

I'm not sure why I had a problem when I ran out of data.

I didn't find the app to be very intuitive, so I might have reverted back to one of those at that time.
It seems like there was a way to display it on the Sony unit in the RV, but once I lost it, all I could get to come up on Carplay were the cell phone apps.
I have to use this app more. I really don't want to buy a stand alone GPS if I don't have to.

I don't think its on the Car Play apps list. I use it on my Iphone and also on My Ipad. I really like the big display on the Ipad. Your right its not very intuitive but if you spend a little time using it, it will become second nature it has a lot of settings including Height weight and other RV/Truck concerns so it routes very well IMHO.
Old 12-10-2019, 05:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz1 View Post
I don't think its on the Car Play apps list. I use it on my Iphone and also on My Ipad. I really like the big display on the Ipad. Your right its not very intuitive but if you spend a little time using it, it will become second nature it has a lot of settings including Height weight and other RV/Truck concerns so it routes very well IMHO.

Thanks.

Is there a muti-app version, or did you have to buy 2 copies?
Old 12-10-2019, 05:51 PM   #8

I bought it one time and put the apps on both devices. Downloaded the maps on both. You can't use both devices at the same time I believe. There is also a laptop version that I have not tried yet. But I will try that soon. If you download it to two devices or three when you start the app initially it will ask for your login info and then will add the license to the other device.
Old 12-10-2019, 06:10 PM   #9
Site Team

I have used it for several years and have had good luck with it. The nice part is the maps are updated for free and once you have a section of the country on your phone, You don't have to worry about no cell signal. No system is perfect, but for the price this is a very nice app.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 09:36 PM   #10

I had a problem with phone based GPS app 4 years ago. It needed cell service and we lost service coming over a mountain. So I bought a Garmin. Don't get stranded like we did. Test out the app before you do a long trip. Set to air plane mode and see if it still works and knows where you are.
Good luck!!!

DustyRoads is offline   Reply With Quote