Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2016, 02:43 PM   #21

We have had bunk and corner beds for years on the last two TTs and its never been a problem.

We just put a memory foam toper because of the thin mattresses and just make it up.

Pull the back corner to you and slip over the fitted sheet, done!

Panamabear
panamabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 02:59 PM   #22

My 2011 Georgetown 327DS, from the floor plans, looks like there's accrss to both sides of the master bed. Unfortunately. on the rear of the coach side of the bed, the floor is raised up above the height of the bottom of the mattress.

After discovering how easy it is to make the beg by pulling out the mattress and crawling over it to get the fitted sheet under it, I came to the conclusion that there's a simple way to decrease production of RVs with this problem.

All that's necessary is to have the floor plan designer's wife change the sheets three times on each new design floor plan. That's the kind of feedback that gets results.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 03:32 PM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkielee View Post
Now, believe me, I have considered the option of using sleeping bags. #1 - too hot. #2 - a pain to wash. #3 - uncomfortable. #4 - I like sheets like a regular bed! If sleeping bags were supposed to be used, WHY is the mattress on the bed not just upholstered??
We have a full walk-around queen in our trailer and we still use sleeping bags as "blankets". We've had them since we had our pop-up years ago and there's nothing wrong with them. Might as well use them.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 03:49 PM   #24

Don't hold back ~~ tell us how you REALLY feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkielee View Post
I will never, ever, Ever, EVER allow myself to be talked into purchasing a motorhome, TT or whatever with another corner (coffin) bed! NEVER!!!! I just finished cleaning up the motorhome after a short trip, changed the sheets, and I swear that I would like to have a word with whoever designs these things, surely a man. A man who has never made a bed in his life! The same idiot who designs tiny kitchens and homes with no storage space. Now, believe me, I have considered the option of using sleeping bags. #1 - too hot. #2 - a pain to wash. #3 - uncomfortable. #4 - I like sheets like a regular bed! If sleeping bags were supposed to be used, WHY is the mattress on the bed not just upholstered?? AND, this stupid bed has a chopped off corner. I modified our fitted sheets and the comforter, but that really didn't help when it comes to actually making up the bed. I have to crawl across to get the far left corner....well don't make me describe this ordeal. I'm in pretty good shape and fairly agile, so men, don't think I don't know what you are thinking! Have Gary do it, you say? We have an agreement that he takes care of the outside stuff, maintenance, etc. I'm out of luck there.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 04:05 PM   #25

OMG We are just getting our camper ready for our first trip. Between foam pads, mattress pads & sheets, I was exhausted! I never even thought about doing it with the bunk mattresses removed first! Or sewing the bottom of the flat sheet to the bottom of the fitted sheet. Or, sliding the mattress out a bit on our Murphy bed to more easily get those corners on good! Thanks for the great ideas!

2018 Leprechaun 311FS
Doxies in the Rockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 04:33 PM   #26

If people quit buying corner bed units they would quit building them.
ba964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 05:15 PM   #27

Just a little hint. Men's regular suspenders (2) sets one at the top and one at the foot. This set up keeps corners and sides of sheets where they belong.
KarenDLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 05:21 PM   #28
jkoenig24

One of the main reasons I bought my Dynamax DX-3 was because it had a bed that was accessible on three sides. Granted, the Serta mattress Dynamax put on was GARBAGE. Since I've changed it, I'm sleeping like a baby. I also changed from the bastard "King" size (73"wide x 76"long) to a TRUE Queen width (60") x 76" the max length the closed slide allowed.

I do have to agree with the original poster. The knuckleheads who design many (most?) RVs NEVER actually use them. If they did, they'd KNOW the "eye candy" they build into their product is often impractical when RVing (especially for extended RVing).
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 05:33 PM   #29

Hey Sharon, dont be afraid to express yourself, just let loose. LOL
2013 Rockwood Windjammer 3001w Diamond
Handydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 05:50 PM   #30

Corner bed be praised

I know all the corner bed haters have their reasons, but I think someone needs to stick up for the corner bed.

Because we have a corner bed, our rig can be smaller - 25 feet in our case. We don't need extra length or a slide (don't like them) to accommodate the width to walk around three sides. For us, small size is more important than an easy to make bed.

We move around a lot and don't pull a toad so we need to be able to fit into a normal parking space at a trail head or state park parking lot.

The time may come when we won't want to put up with the corner bed, but for now, its our friend.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell
SS Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:13 PM   #31

We have a walk around bed but even that can be a bear to make at times. I solved the problem by making what we call "people cases". Take 2 flat sheets and put them right sides together. Sew across the bottom and about a foot up each side. Flip to right sides out and away you go. Nice cotton or fleece sheets that go on the bed like a sleeping bag would. Top with a blanket and sleep tight.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:20 PM   #32

Corner Bed

We were told our Salem Cruise Lite had a queen short mattress. After measuring and throwing it out after our Florida trip, I decided to replace it, but couldn't find a 60"x72". It had to be this size in order for my wife to pass thru to get to her side of the bed! What I found out was the mattresses Forest River are using for this trailer is for a fold-out couch, which is why it is thin, flexible and very uncomfortable.
gfarmcafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 08:12 AM   #33

Because of the corner type bed in our Sunseeker 2500TS,,, DW sleeps on the dinette bed !!!Only way we found we could both make a trip or two to the potty each night !!!
LOL !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 03:12 PM   #34

Just traded in my Class C for a Class A. The uncomfortable, hard to get in and out of, body contortions required to make corner bed was one of the reasons. Love my new walk around bed!
Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 03:26 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Cruiser View Post
I know all the corner bed haters have their reasons, but I think someone needs to stick up for the corner bed.

Because we have a corner bed, our rig can be smaller - 25 feet in our case. We don't need extra length or a slide (don't like them) to accommodate the width to walk around three sides. For us, small size is more important than an easy to make bed.

We move around a lot and don't pull a toad so we need to be able to fit into a normal parking space at a trail head or state park parking lot.

The time may come when we won't want to put up with the corner bed, but for now, its our friend.
Only as a solo traveler do I like my corner bed. Agreed; I love my 24 footer; easy parking and no need for a toad; easy to be spontaneous- most importantly.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 05:39 PM   #36

I like our corner bed as it saves space. I admit it's a bit like dressing a greased pig to get the sheets changed tho. Have even pulled the mattress on to the floor to change mattress pad and sheets!

Happy Camping!

Forester 2451s
Old 04-28-2016, 07:32 AM   #37
jkoenig24

Non-standard sized mattresses can be ordered. ProCustomInc in Elkhart ordered my non-standard queen (60"W x 76"L instead of the standard 60" x 80") from Indiana Bedding Co. It's a SUPER comfortable thick foam mattress. WAY better than the skimpy Serta mattress that Dynamax installed.

I'm sure you can find other custom mattress manufacturers with an online search.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, beds