Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2016, 07:15 PM   #1

Angry Corner beds be damned!!!

I will never, ever, Ever, EVER allow myself to be talked into purchasing a motorhome, TT or whatever with another corner (coffin) bed! NEVER!!!! I just finished cleaning up the motorhome after a short trip, changed the sheets, and I swear that I would like to have a word with whoever designs these things, surely a man. A man who has never made a bed in his life! The same idiot who designs tiny kitchens and homes with no storage space. Now, believe me, I have considered the option of using sleeping bags. #1 - too hot. #2 - a pain to wash. #3 - uncomfortable. #4 - I like sheets like a regular bed! If sleeping bags were supposed to be used, WHY is the mattress on the bed not just upholstered?? AND, this stupid bed has a chopped off corner. I modified our fitted sheets and the comforter, but that really didn't help when it comes to actually making up the bed. I have to crawl across to get the far left corner....well don't make me describe this ordeal. I'm in pretty good shape and fairly agile, so men, don't think I don't know what you are thinking! Have Gary do it, you say? We have an agreement that he takes care of the outside stuff, maintenance, etc. I'm out of luck there.
2015 Coachmen Freelander 22QBF | 1980 Toyota truck toad

Stinkielee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 07:29 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Now try making the bunk beds that are narrow, and encased behind a wall. Did I mention no ladder for the upper bunk? Then there is the sofa bed in our new unit. I have to crawl up, get the sheets tucked in around the corners while sitting on the sofa in the slide. Then finish making it.

Here are the bunks in my old tt.

Click image for larger version

Name:	00J0J_gC69AC9nhMN_600x450.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	106110
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 07:35 PM   #3

On our coffin style bunk beds we actually take the mattress out and make the bed and slide the mattress back in the bunk.

As far as the adult bed, that is why we got a walk around bed. We were almost talked into one of those rear slide travel trailer with a king bed but we said to ourselves how in the heck do you make one of those beds.

2012 Ford F-150 EB Crew FX4 3.73 gears
2012 Micro Lite 23lb

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2012 Ford F150 EB Crew FX4 3.73 gears
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
Previous: 2012 Flagstaff MicroLite 23LB
2006 GMC Envoy Denali V8 & 2005 GMC Envoy I6
PSUFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 07:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post

Now try making the bunk beds that are narrow, and encased behind a wall. Did I mention no ladder for the upper bunk? Then there is the sofa bed in our new unit. I have to crawl up, get the sheets tucked in around the corners while sitting on the sofa in the slide. Then finish making it.

Here are the bunks in my old tt.

Attachment 106110
I have those and yes, and like the OP said, the designer has never set foot on this planet. LOL
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 07:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisDad01 View Post
On our coffin style bunk beds we actually take the mattress out and make the bed and slide the mattress back in the bunk.
That is exactly what we do too! I even put the little elastic suspenders on the bottom sheet to hold it better.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:02 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Where were you guys when I was fighting that issue? Oh wait, I had a crossroads product so I wasn't here...

Any fixes for the trifold sofa that the feet sit higher than the head? I always put the pillows at the feet so you aren't sleeping down hill.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 09:58 PM   #7

I'm with you. We just traded in our motorhome with the rear corner bed for a TT with a walkaround full size queen bed. We couldn't be happier.
mkgearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 10:14 PM   #8

Hate having to climb over someone just to get to the bathroom. Nothing but walk-around beds for us.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 06:49 AM   #9

Thank you for putting that in writing. We are all thinking it. The air circulation also sucks on ours.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 04-26-2016, 07:01 AM   #10

Your not alone in your feelings. My wife has already made it abundantly clear the next trailer will have a walk-around bed.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:30 AM   #11

When we were looking for our new TT we did not even entertain any that you could not get around the bed.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 11:28 AM   #12

Even WITH our walk around bed, getting the fitted sheet on at the head of the bed can be challenging because of the build-out for the outdoor storage. We have to slide the mattress off the foot of the bed, put the head 'corners' on , then slide it back into place, then do the bottom. We also modified some of the corner 'suspenders' to not do the corner, but to go from SIDE to SIDE straight across on the underside (I cut them and added elastic). Totally a pain in the tush to attach, but it keeps the fitted sheet snug to the mattress on the sides. So, when you turn you don't un-make the bed. Lastly, I sewed the flat sheet to the bottom edge of the fitted sheet (Like waterbed sheets are). This keeps my 6ft hubby's toes from totally popping out of the bottom edge on our SHORT Queen mattress.

hotzfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 11:33 AM   #13

My wife has yet to make the beds in our triple bunk but assume she will come to the same conclusion. But my boys love the cocoon feeling.

I'm getting myself mentally prepared for the tirade that will come soon enough..
Old 04-26-2016, 11:33 AM   #14
Pokateps

We call 'em "climb over ya" beds. At our age and multiple night trips to the toilet we decided that those were not for us.
If it requires climbing over or down or around, it ain't for us.
pokateps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 11:35 AM   #15

Totally agree with you. I am a man and I make up the bed in our RV. Our previous motorhomes had walk-around beds and our 5th wheel has a walk-around. Looked at these types of corner beds and east/west beds and said no thanks. Also agree with you on the idiots (obviously non-RVers) who design these RVs. What were they thinking??? Obviously bachelors who partied a lot, ate in restaurants and slept at other peoples houses.
2015 Ford F150 Eco-Boost
BusyRetirees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 11:36 AM   #16

Last time we changed our corner bed I said I'd be hiring someone to do it in a few years! LOL
Hoffwmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 12:37 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzfamily View Post
Even WITH our walk around bed, getting the fitted sheet on at the head of the bed can be challenging because of the build-out for the outdoor storage. We have to slide the mattress off the foot of the bed, put the head 'corners' on , then slide it back into place, then do the bottom. We also modified some of the corner 'suspenders' to not do the corner, but to go from SIDE to SIDE straight across on the underside (I cut them and added elastic). Totally a pain in the tush to attach, but it keeps the fitted sheet snug to the mattress on the sides. So, when you turn you don't un-make the bed. Lastly, I sewed the flat sheet to the bottom edge of the fitted sheet (Like waterbed sheets are). This keeps my 6ft hubby's toes from totally popping out of the bottom edge on our SHORT Queen mattress.
I agree, even with a walk around is a real PITA to make the bed. I have no problem with the sheets coming off, but the bed sliding down while we sleep. The plan for that is to lay down some of that rubber stuff I have in the cabinets to keep thing from shifting.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 01:05 PM   #18

I totally agree; I dread changinging my corner sheets. I cut my hand on the window above the mattress the first time changing my sheets, it's such a tight squeeze, especially after adding a memory foam topper.I ONLY bought this model because I'm single. I never would have if I was still married. At my age, I'm too old to be climbing over someone, trapped in a claustrophobic corner.
Also agreed; men designers who can't design kitchen AND bathroom storage. Us women have ALOT more beauty products than men and need the extra space.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 01:28 PM   #19

Smile Corner beds

Love the Murphy bed in our mini lite . Yes, I can lower and lift it myself, and do and I am a woman. No bunks for this retired couple.
JHurtgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 02:11 PM   #20

When we ordered our new 5th wheel, we went with the standard queen bed instead of the optional king for that very reason...a little extra room on the sides for making the bed.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, beds