Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2015, 11:11 PM   #1

Corrosion Problems

Living in the south creates new ways for corrosion to start and stay with you. I have a problem with the trailer side wiring harness pins staying green and corroded which leads to 2 questions. How do you clean it off the pins since you cannot really get to them with a brush or file? I have tried electronic cleaner but that does no even change the color on the corrosion. Questions no. 2 is dielectric grease the only thing to use preventing it from happening again? I have tried to find a pin protector like 4 way harnesses have to shield it from the weather but unable to find one for the 7 pin.
Thanks for any ideas and suggestions.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:20 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to B and B
GC Electronics 9338 Large Contact Burnisher 250" | eBay

Try this, use the Contact Burnisher to clean, rinse with 99 % Rubbing Alchol, repeat,

Then spray this on the Plug

DeoxIT® D5S-6, More than a Contact Cleaner

These are my tried and true technician tools for fixing broadcast transmitter and feed line corrosion.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 11:28 PM   #3

First off, if you want to see corrosion of automotive/RV/boat/motorcycle/ATV components, come to PA. You can't even imagine what the road salt and brine mixtures they're using on the highways do to all exposed metal, painted or not. You guys in the South have it good on that front...

That being off my chest...as for removing the green corrosion, you might do well to soak it in vinegar overnight. This will loosen the corrosion, and you might be able to remove it by squirting more vinegar in there. Anything acidic works, I'd start with vinegar (Apple cider) because it's probably the mildest one you can use. Phosphoric acid, hydrochloric acid, muriatic acid, lemon/lime juice--all will dissolve corrosion but some may be too strong for your particular application. Once you get it off, coat it with contact grease. I'm not a big fan of dielectric grease. Then cut a hole in a tennis ball and use that as a cover. Good luck!
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 12:24 AM   #4

Quote:
GC Electronics 9338 Large Contact Burnisher 250" | eBay

Try this, use the Contact Burnisher to clean, rinse with 99 % Rubbing Alchol, repeat,

Then spray this on the Plug

DeoxIT® D5S-6, More than a Contact Cleaner

These are my tried and true technician tools for fixing broadcast transmitter and feed line corrosion.
X2

Rather then filing the contacts, after spraying them with either of the above, plug and unplug the harness a few times. THe contact points rubbing on each other will knock off a lot of that green. I often spray the plugs with WD-40 to coat them with light oil to keep the corrosion at bay. Be sure to reapply the WD-40 every month or two as it does evaporate in time. Been doing that for years and not had a problem yet.
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 04:51 AM   #5

Along with the above advice, I swear by dielectric grease. I've been using it in the marine environment for years. Make sure you do the back side of the connector also.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:22 PM   #6
GLCM Warrior

When we had our TT I kept the 7-pin connector opening down using a plug holder I attached to the tongue jack housing. It was still basically uncovered, but moisture didn't get in...at least not here in Colorado.

You can get a plug specifically designed for a 7-pin connector. One option is here: Amazon.com: Fastway (82-00-3315) 7-Way Trailer Plug Cover: Automotive
Lefty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:09 PM   #7

Thanks to all of you about this problem. The idea of keeping it plugged into a dummy end sounds good after I use some of the other ideas about getting the terminals clean. Just knew all the experience available on this site would give me what I needed.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:18 PM   #8

Do a serch for "fluid film".its lanonin based,it will conduct,and you cant get it off. It comes on aresol and a can with a brush. I have both.You wont be dissapointed! After you get it clean,brush or spray with this stuff,you will never have the problen again!
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote