Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2015, 08:58 PM   #1

Could barely believe what I was seeing…

We are camping at Kartchner Cavern State Park this weekend. Took the motorcycles out for a ride earlier today, and as we passed the dump station, some "maroon" was dumping without a hose! Sadly, there was a line of campers waiting their turns.
I've heard stories of people doing this, but figured they were urban legends. I wish I had the nerve to stop and call him out on his behavior, but I was behind another rider who later said he didn't notice, plus I'm a coward.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 09:14 PM   #2

I have seen this too, never ever thought I would see someone do this, changes the way I approach it now
1 mutt
on occasion 1 DD
themounties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 09:17 PM   #3

Sadly.. it's not that terribly uncommon. At least they free dumped at a dump station. I've seen nimrods black dumping in BLM's and SF.. once even in a parking lot AS they were high tailing it out... popped the valve, high tailed it into their rig and made like a bat.

I wouldn't recommend a frontal confrontation, but I would certainly jot down a description and any license information and be sure to report it. Pictures go a long way.

And people wonder why some cities or municipalities pass laws prohibiting RV'rs from parking overnight... For shame.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 09:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
Sadly.. it's not that terribly uncommon. At least they free dumped at a dump station. I've seen nimrods black dumping in BLM's and SF.. once even in a parking lot AS they were high tailing it out... popped the valve, high tailed it into their rig and made like a bat.

I wouldn't recommend a frontal confrontation, but I would certainly jot down a description and any license information and be sure to report it. Pictures go a long way.

And people wonder why some cities or municipalities pass laws prohibiting RV'rs from parking overnight... For shame.
I was at Rasar State Park in Washington a couple years ago and saw the guy in front of me doing the same. I took several pics with my cellphone including his trailer license plate and provided the information to the local ranger. Its better to let the "Law" take care of it. The Ranger thanked me and said I did the right thing not getting involved.

2011 2902ss Rockwood Ultralight
2008 Grand Cherokee 3.0L Diesel (255 hp @ 2900 rpm / 430 lb-ft @ 1,400-2,800 rpm)
3P ProPride Hitch
RV Mods
Wandering RV Life
WestCoastRV'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 09:49 PM   #5

There are totally inconsiderate arses in all walks of life........... Most RVers I've met have been totally awesome folks. The are what keeps me coming to campgrounds and state parks. And then... every once in a while... Dumping without a hose... that's just WRONG!!!
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 10:04 PM   #6

Gross, and not long ago someone stole our dump hose from our TT which is also gross. I had to go to Wally World and get a new hose so we could dump our tank.
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 01:05 AM   #7
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastRV'er View Post
I was at Rasar State Park in Washington a couple years ago and saw the guy in front of me doing the same. I took several pics with my cellphone including his trailer license plate and provided the information to the local ranger. Its better to let the "Law" take care of it. The Ranger thanked me and said I did the right thing not getting involved.

The couple of times people were dumping garbage on our residential street, that's exactly what we did. Grabbed the camera, took pictures, and called the cops. People are too nutty to confront.

For the OP- any chance it was a rental RV and they just didn't know better?
Old 05-25-2015, 04:13 AM   #8

I have noticed several (New , Dumb , Rental , Could Care Less) People just (Shove,Push,Stuff, their Sewer Hose in the (FHU Pipe) at the Site! That is NASTY! and there is NO Seal as well! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 11:54 AM   #9

I have noticed that when you buy from a dealer they use to give you a cheap hose and chemicals for your black tank , but not seeing this any more . Also I have noticed that during the delivery they just show you where the discharge is and where to pull the valve, or are they that damn stupid to know or even care .
14 CC 38CK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 12:05 PM   #10
7 Year Class A RV'er

Better one: I recently watched an elderly couple with a small TT dump at their site, all connected and properly, then run their drinking water hose through the dump hose to wash it out. Yum! 😬

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 12:45 PM   #11
Senior Gold Member

Sewer Dumpbells

On the theme of sewer dumping etiquette and safety, although I've never seen anyone dump at a dump station without a hose I have seen people down on their hands and knees dumping and this is needless to say dangerous and unsafe due to the spread of hepatitis and lord only knows a host of other diseases. I also think that full service camping spots are a bad idea for campgrounds where people stay for shorter periods because of site contamination from careless or uneducated campers. Most full service sites are likely seriously contaminated and you should likely be prepared to spray the site with something that will kill the bugs without killing the vegatation. Any suggestions on that?
rthomaslyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 12:58 PM   #12

You can't fix stupid.
Old 05-25-2015, 01:38 PM   #13

I spray everything down with a solution of bleach & water before and after each time I use a public campsite. Never know what the last person did and I feel better leaving it safer for others to us.

Process:

*** Put on rubber gloves ***

1. Spray the entire water tree (connections, handles, etc)
2. Spray sewer location (cover)
3. Spray all water hoses (connections) before connecting to tap
4. Spray RV sewer connection and pull handles
5. Connect everything
6. Dispose of gloves.

Bleach is your friend.

2011 2902ss Rockwood Ultralight
2008 Grand Cherokee 3.0L Diesel (255 hp @ 2900 rpm / 430 lb-ft @ 1,400-2,800 rpm)
3P ProPride Hitch
RV Mods
Wandering RV Life
WestCoastRV'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 01:59 PM   #14
txkreddog

Best to contact camp host or ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon455 View Post
We are camping at Kartchner Cavern State Park this weekend. Took the motorcycles out for a ride earlier today, and as we passed the dump station, some "maroon" was dumping without a hose! Sadly, there was a line of campers waiting their turns.
I've heard stories of people doing this, but figured they were urban legends. I wish I had the nerve to stop and call him out on his behavior, but I was behind another rider who later said he didn't notice, plus I'm a coward.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
We were camping at Horseshoe Bend in NW AR and after we backed in, we discovered the previous camper had dumped their black water tank at the site. DW called the camp host, who came out to take a look, then he called the Park Ranger. While the camp host shoveled up the mess, the Ranger took a picture of the site, and assured me the previous camper would be getting a citation in the mail. Whether that happened or not, it should have. You were exactly right not to confront the individuals, let those who get paid for that do it. I never even considered the possibility you could, or would, dump without a hose. Thanks for the heads up, hope this is the last "maroon" of this kind any of us encounter. I know, when pigs fly, right?
txkreddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 02:17 PM   #15
Cyber Phrenologist

I have seen the no hose dump, too.

You know that little brochure they give you at check in with all the park info on it? Keep it near the drivers seat. That will have the park rangers/office phone number on it.

At least the idiot that pulled that in front of me took the time to wash down the pad.

Which reminds me to pick up a small bottle of bleach next time I'm at Walmart...

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 02:41 PM   #16

There are some people that just shouldn't have an RV. They don't know anything about them and aren't willing to learn or just don't care.
Old 05-25-2015, 05:27 PM   #17

Sewer hose in drain.

[QUOTE=youroo;873214]I have noticed several (New , Dumb , Rental , Could Care Less) People just (Shove,Push,Stuff, their Sewer Hose in the (FHU Pipe) at the Site! That is NASTY! and there is NO Seal as well! Youroo

youroo,
Another problem with what you observed (just putting hose into drain) is that the hose can migrate down to the "T" at the connection with the main line and stop up the entire line. Had that happen once, didn't know the problem but the sewer line was overflowing. Called the manager. He just walked down the row until he found the one that had the hose crammed into the drain. He pulled it up and immediately we heard and saw the drain open and everything cleared.
Old 05-25-2015, 05:34 PM   #18

we have a dump station here that they tell you not to use a hose, it's a trough system, they ask that you rinse everything down when you are done.

The Home of the FREE because of the BRAVE
LittlePM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 05:37 PM   #19

Dump Station

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittlePM View Post
we have a dump station here that they tell you not to use a hose, it's a trough system, they ask that you rinse everything down when you are done.
I would think the odor around there would leave something to be desired.
Old 05-25-2015, 05:44 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittlePM View Post
Yes, the county fair grounds is like that.