Old 12-20-2014, 02:24 PM   #31

I know of many "full-timers" that live all the time in their 5er or their MH and love it...

We plan on becoming "part-timers" in 2015 and live in our MH 4-5 months per year....

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Old 12-20-2014, 02:37 PM   #32

We bought the cheapest trailer we could find, a tiny 1974 fifth wheel, moved it onto our property, lived in it for 5 months while building our house ourselves. That allowed us to devote more time to building and less to commuting. When the house was done we sold the trailer for what we paid for it. Also consider construction loans can be hard to get. Now we travel 3_4 months at a time in our very roomy Columbus 32rl with no missing the space in our house. Bclantz

Old 12-20-2014, 03:04 PM   #33

11 and a half months in ours between houses. Personally I would still be full time. The house is for the wife. Loved every minute of it. Wife accepted it until she found the right house. Then she could not wait.
Old 12-20-2014, 03:34 PM   #34

Your 353LS is one of the nicer (IMHO) models I've seen especially for full timing. Lots of room etc.

Now, that being said; Will you be parking the 5'er on the property where you will be building the new home while it's being built?

How involved will you be in the planning, construction, landscaping etc. of the new home?

Do you both still work?

If the answers are yes then this is the way I see it;

1-Gone to work most of the day
2-Busy on the details of the new home (keeping tabs on the construction crew)
3-Saving $$$ on a rental.
4-If any of the above get to be too much, just hook up and head out to escape
(everythings already loaded and ready to go).

Anyway.....just my 2 cents worth of MHO.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 04:12 PM   #35

Doing it right now until our cottage is ready. We started off in a 26' Class C and that was tough. Just bought a 29' Class A Mirada and feel we can live in it a long time. Our current plan is 3 months. 1 down and 2 to go. Piece of cake.
2015 Keystone Bullet Travel Trailer
2016 F-150 Lariat with Auto Trailer Backup
Dog = Morki (Yorkie-Maltese) - Zoe
Malabarbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 04:43 PM   #36

We spend in excess of 100+ days in our fifth wheel each year. We camphost May, June and August and in the between time (July), we "vacation", usually at the beach.

So, yes, we would do it in a heartbeat and there are 4 of us! DH, myself and two DDs, aged 10 and 7.

We also invite guests to come along with us, especially during July. There can be as many as 8 of us during those times.

It's an adventure and you need to just go with the flow and not stress too much about anything. Building a house can add lots and lots of stress to any marriage, so be prepared to give each other lots of room and personal space, if at all possible.
Old 12-20-2014, 04:59 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham Camper View Post
I would add one comment, if your contractor tells you your home will be done in 3 months you better have a contract stating that and if not done fines will be assessed. I will bet you that 95% of contractors will tell you 3 months when they know it will take 7-10 months. They will tell you what u want to hear whether they can deliver or not.

Agreed. I think that building a house in a 3 month time frame can be a little optimistic...
Old 12-20-2014, 05:21 PM   #38
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman94 View Post
Agreed. I think that building a house in a 3 month time frame can be a little optimistic...

All depends on the builder. I had my very first house (subdivision, bought off builder) in 3 months from down payment to close. But those guys already have everything in place (permits, etc...) before starting. If you're going custom, and especially if you're doing your own subcontracting then I could see it taking longer.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 12-20-2014, 05:50 PM   #39
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
All depends on the builder. I had my very first house (subdivision, bought off builder) in 3 months from down payment to close. But those guys already have everything in place (permits, etc...) before starting. If you're going custom, and especially if you're doing your own subcontracting then I could see it taking longer.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
I've been doing weekend signage for new home builders for 20 plus years.
3 months for the builders is no problem at all from foundation to finish. Now if it takes months to get to the foundation started I wouldn't know.

Friend of mine built and contracted his own house and it took him 2 years.
2017-67 / 16-92 / 15-73 / 14-60 / 13-33
Seasonal
Platokidd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 05:56 PM   #40
Maron

Send a message via Yahoo to Maron
I think it depends on how big the RV is. A 20' footer would be tough but our 35 footer is just fine. We lived in it 3 1/2 months last winter...in Arizona. One big advantage was staying in a 55 and older 4 star resort for 2 1/2 months of the time. It had a ton of things to do to keep you active and being outside was a pleasure. When we got back to the midwest we missed it when we had to store it.
Our home near Chicago has not sold even with a 25% reduction in sale price so we are starting to rent it out with a 2 year option to buy contract. Then we will live in our 8329 for a while along with living with our children for short periods of time.
I feel good about it because we won't be in a hurry nor under pressure to make a decision.