Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2013, 10:51 PM   #1

Question Cover Issues - New TT

Just purchased a Solaire 269BHDSK and plan on bringing it home to store and will park it outside next to the garage. I have read threads discussing just about every issue I can imagine dealing with RV covers.

I have decided to probably wait on the cover purchase until I can weigh all of the issues/prices/etc. My plan is to just cover the top with a sturdy tarp that I have (for this winter), as the biggest issue I see may be an intermittent freeze/thaw that could get moisture into or damage some areas of the rooftop. The tarp will overhang about 12-18" on the sides.

Pros or cons on this idea based on your experiences.....

Thanks
dbhoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:11 AM   #2
Site Team

i made the mistake of using a tarp over the winter and found mold/mildew when i uncovered it a few months later.
that's why RV covers are breathable, so you don't have that happen.
if you must use a tarp, you'll need to suspend it over without it touching the trailer.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:48 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
i made the mistake of using a tarp over the winter and found mold/mildew when i uncovered it a few months later.
that's why RV covers are breathable, so you don't have that happen.
if you must use a tarp, you'll need to suspend it over without it touching the trailer.
I thought about that, but it would be useless as snow would blow in under it. Also, I have never had anything grow mold or mildew when it's sub-zero most of the time. Minnesota winters can be a bit brutal. But, you may be right.... if that is the case I would be better off just exposing it to the weather. Maybe I'm thinking too much into this and should just let it be.
dbhoug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover