Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2018, 09:58 PM   #1

CPAP cords and batteries

During a power failure last winter I tried to use one of my CPAP machines with an automobile battery jumper than has a 12 volt port. I bought it for the CPAP and other uses many years earlier.

It lit up the display of the machine but no air came out. I was using cigarette lighter cords that I had for other devices like a CB radio, etc.

The other day I called CPAP.com to order filters and asked about power cords. I bought one for each of my machines. I have one machine in my motorhome and one in my house. The only 12 volt port in my motorhome runs off of the chassis battery.

Both machines worked using the same power supply!

The difference was in the 12V cords. I don't know how many hours this battery will give me with the CPAP, that needs to be determined. I just wish I had overcome my frugality and bought these cords long ago. Each was a little less than $30.

I can connect a 12 volt port to my motorhome house batteries but that will not help me if I am in my house.

Now, what batteries do members of the group recommend? I don't want to spend hundreds on CPAP branded batteries. I have read people using WEEGO and Schumacher batteries with good results. Both much less and more useful than the CPAP brands.

Thanks,

Bobby

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 10:08 PM   #2

I'm not 100% I understand your issue so forgive me if I'm off base.

If you need a CPAP battery backup system for home use that is 12 volts, I would use a Group 24 AGM battery. They do not leak battery acid, they do not vent, hold a charge for a bit, and can be mounted in any location (on the side, etc...) A smart trickle charger would ensure the battery holds a full charge.

Many people install AGM batteries under their beds because they won't spill acid or vent unless overcharged.
Ilovemywife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 10:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemywife View Post
I'm not 100% I understand your issue so forgive me if I'm off base.

If you need a CPAP battery backup system for home use that is 12 volts, I would use a Group 24 AGM battery. They do not leak battery acid, they do not vent, hold a charge for a bit, and can be mounted in any location (on the side, etc...) A smart trickle charger would ensure the battery holds a full charge.

Many people install AGM batteries under their beds because they won't spill acid or vent unless overcharged.
Although running the CPAP is my primary goal, I would like the capability of charging phones and tablets if necessary. I didn’t consider your good suggestion.

I have AGMs in my motorhome and I am very happy with them.

I may be wrong but am thinking a lithium battery may be more suitable for my intended use. No need for the trickle charging and small enough to keep in a drawer. That is why the WEEGO attracted my attention .

But, I will see what sort of small automotive lithium batteries are available.

Thanks.

Old 08-26-2018, 10:48 PM   #4

The main advantage of lithium chemistry is lighter weight and faster recharge times. You pay a real premium price for those considerations. I agree that in most cases the AGM design is the best price/performance.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 10:49 PM   #5

Keep in mind that lithium batteries do not like to be stored long-term at 100% charge level... this is what makes them somewhat unsuitable for backup batteries. They have incredible energy density, but some of their handling requirements dictate that other battery chemistries are better suited for some applications.

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 11:06 PM   #6

OK, the primary reason for my post was to tell that the proper 12 volt DC power cords are worth the extra expense.

The secondary reason was to explore battery options. Right now the consensus is with the AGMs which is fine with me. It is just that I saw small lithium batteries in the $100 to $200 range that will work and not require a regular charge. I watched a guy power slides on a few trailers with one and it was small. Easily held in one hand.

I am not going to keep a battery under my household bed because I need to move the bed every day and I don’t want the dog getting involved with it. I don’t know that my wife will accept a battery somewhere in the bedroom.

She didn’t like motorcycles in the house; I didn’t start them that often inside in my opinion.

On a somber note my neighbor across the street died in a motorcycle accident last night somewhere in MD. He was a well seasoned and skilled rider.

Old 08-27-2018, 12:51 PM   #7

CPAP

I have only had to use a 12volt system twice but I also use the same system while cat napping in the truck on long drives. I have an inverter that I run to the truck battery (leave truck running) and plug right into it with the cpap cord. When in a tent (rare again) I take a marine battery and use the same inverter and also run a box fan with it. It will run for at least 19 hours. I charge with a solar when needed.
1984fireball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 01:32 PM   #8

12 volt C-pap

Never make anything harder than it has to be.
since you mention engine battery, then you must be in a motor-home, and also have coach or house batteries as well.
I ran 12 volt wires to each side of my bed from the house batteries (4 6 volt DC golf cart batteries, at 210 amp hours each for a total of 420 amp hours0, and installed a 12 volt port at each side of the bed, for our C-pap machines. Both models (we have different types) use a 12 volt cord. Notice your 120 AC cord: It probably has a transformer box between the wall plug and the plug that goes into the side of your machine. That means, it probably runs on 12 volt, or something other than 120 VAC. Ask the manufacturer for a 12 volt adapter for your C pap.
Run the wires from your house battery or shave someone do it for you. Use wire loom to protect the wires, and be sure they are hooked up correctly at the battery.
Tiger Force Medic, 68/69
hankpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 01:47 PM   #9

CPAP

No motor home, 5th wheel. Which I use a truck to pull. My CPAP is so old (20 years) that it will not run off 12V dc.
And it is not hard at all. I just hooked the inverter to the truck, ran an extension cord through the window, ran a fan and the cpap until the power came back on (7 hours the last time). It was easy enough. In 3 years I have only lost power at night twice so I don't want to have the extra battery weight and expense. So it is easier for me to just run the extension cord!
1984fireball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 02:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984fireball View Post
No motor home, 5th wheel. Which I use a truck to pull. My CPAP is so old (20 years) that it will not run off 12V dc.
And it is not hard at all. I just hooked the inverter to the truck, ran an extension cord through the window, ran a fan and the cpap until the power came back on (7 hours the last time). It was easy enough. In 3 years I have only lost power at night twice so I don't want to have the extra battery weight and expense. So it is easier for me to just run the extension cord!
Excuse my butting in but every CPAP machine I had ran on 12 volts. The cord converted the house current to 12 volts. I think I started CPAP therapy around 1997.

You may want to examine your machine again and the labels on it just in case it runs on 12 volt.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:33 PM   #11

Before buying one of the "little" lithium power packs in the price range you quoted, you need to make sure that they have enough power to run the cpap for the night. Most of these units are rated as if the internal battery cells are wired in parallel, meaning the output is around 3.7V. When the batteries are wired in series, there are usually three in series meaning that the actual capacity at 11.1V is 1/3 whatever is quoted in the sales literature.

It's better to judge capacity using watts. Take the battery capacity and divide it by the number of watts the cpap uses and you'll get the number of hours the battery will run the machine. Don't forget that if your cpap has a heater in it, you should be able to use it without the heater in an emergency. This will significantly cut the power needs of the machine.

I installed a 12V (PowerPole) outlet in the rv, above the DW's side of the bed. She can plug in her SoClean during the day and the cpap at night, running both off of the house batteries when we boondock. Unfortunately, the same power arrangement doesn't work for my dialysis machine which draws up to 500W of power.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 12:41 PM   #12

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmsherman View Post
Before buying one of the "little" lithium power packs in the price range you quoted, you need to make sure that they have enough power to run the cpap for the night. Most of these units are rated as if the internal battery cells are wired in parallel, meaning the output is around 3.7V. When the batteries are wired in series, there are usually three in series meaning that the actual capacity at 11.1V is 1/3 whatever is quoted in the sales literature.

It's better to judge capacity using watts. Take the battery capacity and divide it by the number of watts the cpap uses and you'll get the number of hours the battery will run the machine. Don't forget that if your cpap has a heater in it, you should be able to use it without the heater in an emergency. This will significantly cut the power needs of the machine.

I installed a 12V (PowerPole) outlet in the rv, above the DW's side of the bed. She can plug in her SoClean during the day and the cpap at night, running both off of the house batteries when we boondock. Unfortunately, the same power arrangement doesn't work for my dialysis machine which draws up to 500W of power.

Phil
OK, good to know, thanks.

I don’t use a heater or humidifier so I won’t have those power draws. My CPAP is set to start at 16 and can go up to 20. I have read that the high pressure that I need will run down the battery quicker.

Once again, thank you.

Old 08-29-2018, 05:05 PM   #13

Last night I plugged my CPAP into a Kill A Watt meter.

For watts being used on standby it read .01

After a little over 7 hours sleep it showed the KWh used in the photo, .07. Maybe if I slept 8 hours I would know what that means as far as getting a proper battery.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	903C9816-E565-4FAC-B64C-9DE0117BBCB3.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	343.8 KB
ID:	184838  
Old 08-30-2018, 03:12 PM   #14
Site Team

Looks like you're using about .01 kWH per hour of sleep, so in 8 hours that's .08kWH or 80 watt hours, or about 7AH (amp hours) of 12 volt battery capacity.

Decide how many days you need to run the CPAP and multiply that by 7AH, and then double that amount and you'll know how big a battery you need to buy.

P.S. This calculation only accounts for the CPAP itself, and doesn't account for any extra load if you're going to use the same battery(s) for the CPAP and the RV.
Old 08-31-2018, 08:54 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
Looks like you're using about .01 kWH per hour of sleep, so in 8 hours that's .08kWH or 80 watt hours, or about 7AH (amp hours) of 12 volt battery capacity.

Decide how many days you need to run the CPAP and multiply that by 7AH, and then double that amount and you'll know how big a battery you need to buy.

P.S. This calculation only accounts for the CPAP itself, and doesn't account for any extra load if you're going to use the same battery(s) for the CPAP and the RV.
Thank you.

Old 09-06-2018, 03:41 PM   #16

12 volt cpap operation

+1 on finding a 12volt adapter for my cpap. I installed a 12volt receptacle on the side of the bed box, and use it to run my cpap with the 12 volt adapters I found on amazon. Has been working great for 2 years now and not a huge drain on my house batteries. I also do not attempt the humidifier/heater option on the machine, as not sure what the overall draw would be on the batteries. My wife is happy I not choking in my sleep, so that’s a plus too!
scotttkd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries