Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2018, 05:15 AM   #1

CRA anybody know anything about there "free camping nonsense"

So Colorado river adventures had called me and setup a reservation for the 1st-3rd in Julian, ca told them can't make it cancel blah blah blah. Once I hung up not more then a minute later I get another call saying that since I'm closed to there horrible cherry valley location they can reschedule me for the tour there. They seem very very pushy and I know they want a sale from me. That being said there promising me a free 20night to use, $200 in gas and a free tablet. Ya I know I will never see it and we'll quite frankly don't care, I originally booked because I wanted to stay in julian and see that park I've stayed at the cherry valley one and it sucks. My dad told them back no as well. What is yours if any with CRA? Thx
5Kins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 05:24 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Kins View Post
So Colorado river adventures had called me and setup a reservation for the 1st-3rd in Julian, ca told them can't make it cancel blah blah blah. Once I hung up not more then a minute later I get another call saying that since I'm closed to there horrible cherry valley location they can reschedule me for the tour there. They seem very very pushy and I know they want a sale from me. That being said there promising me a free 20night to use, $200 in gas and a free tablet. Ya I know I will never see it and we'll quite frankly don't care, I originally booked because I wanted to stay in julian and see that park I've stayed at the cherry valley one and it sucks. My dad told them back no as well. What is yours if any with CRA? Thx
My experience with these types of CG. The free stay is consecutive nights, select spots and select times.
I'm guessing the free gas is at stations not in your area with certain restrictions, and the tablet will be the cheapest junk out there. You can get some android tablets out of Asia for$20.
1995 GMC Yukon Sport
1986 Jayco1016PUP
Days Camped:'13-10 '14-20 '15-6 '16-9 '17-14 '18-3 '19-12 '20-14 '21-12
XenoRev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 12:20 AM   #3

They have very crowded parks and like most time shares they are working on a hard sell. They really want your money.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 08:21 AM   #4

We did the Julian one at King and Queen Campground 12 years ago....When we first started camping we were up early Saturday the day of the presentation cooking breakfast and a guy driving a golf cart comes flying up and says don't forget your presentation is at 10AM today we said yep we will be there.

Ok did the 10AM presentation and the campground tour then the hard sell to buy the time share....I said we are going to go back to our site and have some lunch I will be back at 1PM to let you know our decision.

Guy is not happy and says ok....We talk and come to the conclusion the timeshare is not for us so for a variety of reasons I go back up the the office tell the guy no thanks and he says I knew you were going to say that I wish you would have told me before you left for lunch I could have gotten an earlier start on my golf game today
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X
Ejs4029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 08:31 AM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

So they (CO River Adventures) called you with a reservation and you said no, cancel... then you say you originally booked because you wanted to see a different campground than what you had stayed in... something doesn't add up. Be careful for what you've already agreed to.

Keep in mind...
... too good to be true... usually is!
... free... nothing is!

Don't fall for their antics.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 12:45 PM   #6

Our experience with CRA

We accepted the invitation at Ghost Mountain Ranch only because it fit into a scheduled trip we were taking. We went to the presentation and when the salesman saw which memberships we already had he asked what we were doing there! Nice guy. No hard sell just a friendly chat. He gave us the tablet. The catch to the 20 free nights is none of their campgrounds are near our home so we never used them and the $200 for gas is a scam. You can only use it at, if I remember correctly, Shell. You can only get credit for $50 once in a 30 day period and save the receipts. So, at the minimum, it would take 4 months to get the receipts and then mail them in. We passed on that, too. Never the less, we had a nice stay free at Ghost Mountain!
Hoffwmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 02:50 PM   #7

Only if you pay me cash in advance. My time is more valuable than any deal you could be offering. If it were free and a great deal you'd have people beating the door down. But instead you have to call people and pressure them into this great deal. I warn anyone considering any time share to check that states laws about contract committal and signing. Many places will have a certain period in which you can cool off and cancel the contract after signing. Some still have some good ol' boy gotcha laws pertaining to land share or time share contracts... no cool off, no cancellation. Just ask the politicians who got that clause voted in for themselves because they were part owners of the Lake Tansi development in Tennessee about 30+ years ago.
I hate these type gimmicks and come on and high pressure sales tactics.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 08:30 PM   #8

I am a member of CRA, if you want to buy a membership get it off Craig's List or similar, it will be half or less what you will pay directly from a CRA park.
Sealyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 08:57 PM   #9

My cousin (and really close friend) accepted an offer from a time share thing for three free nights at a really nice complex in Florida. At the time the cost was really high but don’t remember the figure. He and his wife stayed the three nights and were wined and dined to the max. They sat through three presentations and on their final day were ready to sign up. When the financing options were presented he acted all excited and then told the sales representative he would have to wait until Tuesday to sign because his bankruptcy procedure would be final on Monday.

He wasn’t treated too well after that. Gotta love scamming a scammer. BTW, he wasn’t bankrupt and could have easily bought the whole condo for cash.
Old 06-02-2018, 06:40 AM   #10

We did the free camping at the Julian park and enjoyed it, found a shorter-term membership and bought it since we expected to camp there quite a bit since it was only 45 mins away.

Anyway, ended up not camping there as much as we expected and the annual dues were ridiculous so we got rid of it.

I’m sure those memberships work out well for some folks, just not us. Julian was a great park, though.
Old 06-04-2018, 06:10 PM   #11

We got the free 3 night CRA offer when we bought our previous trailer (Jayco) and stayed at the Julian KQ Ranch resort (not sure how it gets rated a resort but...) We were scheduled for a 10:00 presentation and we thought it was supposed to be 1:00. Shortly after 10:00 a very upset CRA person showed up at our site telling us if we skipped the presentation we would have to pay for the night we stayed at the non-member rate (=$$$) and hit the road. We explained we just misunderstood the time and weren't trying to welsh on the deal. they begrudgingly rescheduled us and acted pretty unhappy with us during the presentation. The up side was that they apparently didn't see us as a legitimate opportunity and didn't really press very hard - told them not interested twice and they gave us our check and cheesy "gas BBQ" then let us go back to camping. The park itself wasn't bad and if you're a horse person, they had sites with corrals at one end of the park.
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping