Old 11-12-2011, 06:15 PM   #11
Is there any way that we could get some better pics of the second and third pic. If I am looking at it correctly the light gauge piece that has the holes in it is the cross member that goes between the two frame rails in the very front of the trailer? The box tube is one of the actual trailers tongue rails? I would like to see a little more of where the tube steel goes. If I'm looking at this correctly then and the other connection that the tube is connected to tis fine then I'm saying tow on. I am a fabricator/welder at work and I'm thinking that the connection that you are showing is not a structural connection. The front channel in the picture (light gauge material) just acts as bridging between the two frame rails to keep them in the upright position and not rolling over. The tongue rail (tube steel) just happens to run through it and they welded it on side. Probably just something they do in the jig to help hold everything straight while welding it up. You can put all the weld there you want and it is going to break on the light gauge side of the weld because of the flex it has in it. If it concerns you that muck then have the light gauge removed and put in a structural member. That is gong to ad about 50 lbs to your tongue weight though.

I'm not saying to not get it checked out but I would take it to a trailer manufacture first to have it checked for structural integrity before you go off on someone.

transamz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:46 PM   #12
I would hope you contact transport Canada as this is a serious danger to you and other people who use the roads, these units are supposed to meet standards.

DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:59 AM   #13
Here is the final report, sorry I do not have pictures yet. The trailer was repaired. I took it to the dealer November 12th, 2011 and picked it up December 30th, 2011.The service manager and shop foreman both commented that they had never seen this before, except on units that had been off roading. They had to take me at my word that I have never done any off roading with this trailer. It is the first brand new thing that my wife and I have ever purchaced, and it gets babied. They were able to confirm that by the lack of damage and dirt under the trailer. Futheremore, regardless of my truck and the roads/highways I choose to travel on, the cracks should never have happened. Anyway, the original frame mfgr was bought out and the new mfgr was not willing to cover any repairs even though it was clearly faulty welding. Apparently, after a few calls back and forth between the dealer, the frame mfgr, and Forest River, the job was done. Forest River and the frame mfgr eventually decided to split the cost. Trailer was taken down to a local frame repair company where a certified welder repaired all the cracks and added some gussets between the front crossmember and the "a frame" to the hitch. I personally would have added a little more metal, but I wasn't going to fight over that as I didn't have to pay for the work at all. In the end, thank you to Forest River, the frame mfgr and a BIG thanks to Travelhome RV in Langley B.C. With the record setting warm temperatures here, it could be an early start to the "camping" season.

Tow Vehicle: '92 F350, Crew Cab, 4X4, Cummins 5.9 24 Valve, 6spd.Driver:Clint, Navigator:Melanie, Entertainment: 3 Boys (24,22,20) and now girlfriends too, 1 dog (Great Pyrenees/Akbash cross). Mission Statement: Just another adventure! Towed vehicle:2009 Roo 19 with lots of mods!
cmcct is offline   Reply With Quote