Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2019, 12:22 PM   #1

Cracks in tires

These Goodyear Endurance tires are just about brand new. I bought them about a year ago and they have about 4500-5000 miles on them. You can see how much tread is left compared to the wear bar. Each tire is showing these "cracks". Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190515_123852590.jpeg
Views:	316
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	204670Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190515_123840510.jpeg
Views:	349
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	204671Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190515_123739881.jpeg
Views:	357
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	204672
Old 05-15-2019, 12:52 PM   #2
llr

what cracks? the only thing I see in the pictures are designed in slits.
TV 2024 F350 DRW - on order
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:56 PM   #3

Yeah, I don’t see anything wrong. Am I missing something?
Trobec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 01:01 PM   #4

No cracks that I can see, just slits and grooves of the tire design.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 01:06 PM   #5

Are you talking about the hairline cracks at the edges? If so, they are fine. Normal use from cycling temps. Really had to blow up pic to see them.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:00 PM   #6

The tiny "cracks" in the bottom of the groove are perfectly normal. They're merely surface cracks in the harder tread compound.

It may just be camera angle but it appears you have an alignment issue with your trailer axle(s). From the picture it appears one side of each "rib" is wearing more rounded and the other side of same rib appears sharp. This is a sign the tire is sliding sideways as it rolls down the highway and is cause by excessive toe, either in or out, depending.

Might be money well spent to have the alignment checked.

If a single axle it may require some bending or replacement. If tandem, it could be more simple with the two axles not exactly parallel.

Either way, your tires appear to be wearing faster than they should.

Simple check to verify what I see or disprove. Run your hand flat across the face of the tire from outside to in. Then run your hand across same spot on tire from inside to out. If one edge of the ribs feels sharp compared to the other, you have a toe problem.

Years ago when I was a factory rep for an Alignment Machine manufacturer I'd align my wheels when putting on new tires. Set the toe to specs. After driving a couple thousand miles i'd do the "hand slide" test and adjust toe either slightly in or out depending on which edge felt sharper. (Inner edge sharp means toe in).

When I did this it was not unusual to get at least 75-80k miles out of a set of good tires. One set went to 100,000 miles before hitting wear bars.

One last note for those reading this, on a radial tire EXCESSIVE toe (in or out) can mimic a wear pattern similar to what we would usually associate with excessive Camber. When this happens you have extremely excessive toe.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 03:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
The tiny "cracks" in the bottom of the groove are perfectly normal. They're merely surface cracks in the harder tread compound.

It may just be camera angle but it appears you have an alignment issue with your trailer axle(s). From the picture it appears one side of each "rib" is wearing more rounded and the other side of same rib appears sharp. This is a sign the tire is sliding sideways as it rolls down the highway and is cause by excessive toe, either in or out, depending.

Might be money well spent to have the alignment checked.

If a single axle it may require some bending or replacement. If tandem, it could be more simple with the two axles not exactly parallel.

Either way, your tires appear to be wearing faster than they should.

Simple check to verify what I see or disprove. Run your hand flat across the face of the tire from outside to in. Then run your hand across same spot on tire from inside to out. If one edge of the ribs feels sharp compared to the other, you have a toe problem.

Years ago when I was a factory rep for an Alignment Machine manufacturer I'd align my wheels when putting on new tires. Set the toe to specs. After driving a couple thousand miles i'd do the "hand slide" test and adjust toe either slightly in or out depending on which edge felt sharper. (Inner edge sharp means toe in).

When I did this it was not unusual to get at least 75-80k miles out of a set of good tires. One set went to 100,000 miles before hitting wear bars.

One last note for those reading this, on a radial tire EXCESSIVE toe (in or out) can mimic a wear pattern similar to what we would usually associate with excessive Camber. When this happens you have extremely excessive toe.
Thanks, yes the cracks in the treads. Thanks for the help. I did the test and did not feel any sharp edges. Though when we get back from DC (leaving tomorrow) I will take it to a tire place to see what they say.
tyler811 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
crack, tire, tires