Old 11-14-2015, 03:28 PM   #1

Craigslist Scam

I just saw an article in the local newspaper alerting people to a scam on Craigslist. Not much different than many of the other scams on Craigslist but as they say "there is a sucker born every minute". This one is selling trucks and RV's. They claim to be a company called Mayer Auto Center at 3914 W. Jewell, Wichita, KS. There is no such company at that address. The deal is they want you to make a deposit to an escrow account, in Spain no less, where they will hold your money so you can be to be assured the vehicle won't be sold until you can inspect it, and if you don't want it they will refund your money, yeah right. So if anyone sees an RV for sale on Craigslist from Mayer Auto Center ignore it and move on.

Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 03:43 PM   #2
itch'n to road trip

..and dont try to sell on Craigslist. I had so many scamers call.

Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 08:21 PM   #3
Oklahoma Proud

Yep there are scammers everywhere. I see them on cl all the time.
......but I've also bought a ton of stuff off cl and also sold hundreds of thousands of $ of stuff off of cl. This year alone, I've sold 3 vehicles, 1 tractor and 1 boat, no scamming here. Just have to watch out.
Face to face and cash deals work best. Also a CCL is nice or a friend with you!

You can see the scam ones pretty easy after you've been cl'ing for a while. Also when selling, spell out some of your phone number and dont use the email feature-they really bring out the scammers. You may still get some spammer text, but you figure it all out after a while.
And if you really want to sell something on there, have your number on there, alot of serious buyers (like me and alot of others) will skip the ad if its email only.....alot of the email onlys, wont respond.
Old 11-14-2015, 08:36 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
Yep there are scammers everywhere. I see them on cl all the time.
......but I've also bought a ton of stuff off cl and also sold hundreds of thousands of $ of stuff off of cl. This year alone, I've sold 3 vehicles, 1 tractor and 1 boat, no scamming here. Just have to watch out.
Face to face and cash deals work best. Also a CCL is nice or a friend with you!

You can see the scam ones pretty easy after you've been cl'ing for a while. Also when selling, spell out some of your phone number and dont use the email feature-they really bring out the scammers. You may still get some spammer text, but you figure it all out after a while.
And if you really want to sell something on there, have your number on there, alot of serious buyers (like me and alot of others) will skip the ad if its email only.....alot of the email onlys, wont respond.

I also have sold a good bit of stuff including my old TT on Craig's. Be smart about it, only deal locally, in person. Cash only for smaller items, cashier's check made out at a bank with you present for the bigger items. I use a special email account I set up just for craigslist so if it gets hacked I don't have any important info and no address book for them to get a hold of anything.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 08:50 PM   #5
Oklahoma Proud

I never respond to emails from there, they cant get your email if they message thru the site initially, once you respond back, they have it though.
And yes local dealing is much better, but i did sell my old Duramax to a guy in Arkansas a couple months ago. Worked out well, but took some extra effort and alot of conversing between our banks, but worked out well in the end.

Most of my dealings are in vehicles and ag/construction related equipment and supplies if that makes any difference.
Old 11-14-2015, 09:15 PM   #6

Kid (now in his mid-forties) who grew up next door sold 4 kayaks on CL and what he did was set up meeting points at a local strip mall during the day. Cash deals and buyers never got to learn where he lived and transactions were done with plenty of people around. I thought this was pretty smart.
DW was office manager of a construction company until she retired. She coordinated a number of sales/purchases of heavy equipment on CL and never had a problem.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
55 nights camping 2015, 45 in 2016, 42 in 2017
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 09:24 PM   #7

Lately a lot of police departments are suggesting having your meeting point of sales in their parking lots.

Eastlake, Ohio
2013 F-350 Turbo Diesel
2016 Heritage Glen 368rlbh
Old 11-14-2015, 09:29 PM   #8

lot of scams are now coming thru as text messages also
Old 11-14-2015, 09:35 PM   #9
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverrat958 View Post
lot of scams are now coming thru as text messages also
Yep, I've gotten some of those, they are about the same as the emails use to be. If you dont respond, most of the time they won't bother you again.
I dont need to, or get in a hurry to sell something. I think most people do, and thats what suckers them in to some of the scams
Old 11-15-2015, 02:24 AM   #10
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
I never respond to emails from there, they cant get your email if they message thru the site initially, once you respond back, they have it though.
Not any more. Craigslist hides the email addresses on responses now.

I list my cell # and use CL's email functionality. I've sold things both ways.