Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2019, 06:55 PM   #121

If I see a different price for cash vs credit, I go elsewhere.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 07:02 PM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post
If I see a different price for cash vs credit, I go elsewhere.
What if elsewhere is more money than the credit price?
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 09:00 PM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
What if elsewhere is more money than the credit price?

Usually not around here. I often consult gas buddy or similar.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 09:59 PM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post
Usually not around here. I often consult gas buddy or similar.
Around here all the time.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:31 PM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
My 85 year old mother only carries credit cards for the most part. She doesn't need or want to go to an ATM or bank to get cash all the time.

The only people I know that use cash are the ones that get under the table cash for jobs. Only time I get cash is that some times my renters pay me in cash. I can't even remember that last time I used an ATM.
I take it you have never heard of, or perhaps scoff at Dave Ramsey. I don’t work under the table, but I do use cash when possible.
The reasons merchants are more than happy to take your plastic is because studies prove that most people spend more with credit, and to a lesser extent debit cards. Paying cash is real and we tend to be more cautious when spending it.

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 11:52 PM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon455 View Post
I take it you have never heard of, or perhaps scoff at Dave Ramsey. I don’t work under the table, but I do use cash when possible.
The reasons merchants are more than happy to take your plastic is because studies prove that most people spend more with credit, and to a lesser extent debit cards. Paying cash is real and we tend to be more cautious when spending it.
I have to agree with Babock

Some of us are just good at budgeting, spending and paying balances in full each and every month regardless of cash or credit. People bad at $ are just as bad with cash as credit in my experience. I think Dave Ramsey will be the first to tell you some people can make millions a year, and still be broke and bankrupt, regardless of cash or credit.

The only people I know using cash only around California are people with bad credit that can’t get a credit card, people trying to hide $ from creditors by having no accounts, people trying to hide income to avoid taxes and drug dealers. Oh, wait, isn’t that 90% of Californians?
Great bourbon-just about any of San Diego’s craft beer
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 12:00 AM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon455 View Post
I understand what Dave Ramsey has to say and he is totally wrong about credit cards. He has to deal with stupid people that have no will control and don't have a budget. If you spend the same amount whether you use a credit card or cash, you are better off using the credit card. My mom gets more money in just her dividends in stock in one month than she can spend in an entire year so not an issue for her what she spends anyway.

He also says to pay off your mortgage as quick as you can which is plan that isn't always the correct plan.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:27 AM   #128

Me and DW live on a weekly cash budget. We get our cash from the closest atm to our house. We budget our grocery, our eating out money. We both get a allowance, all in cash. I like using cash but I like getting a rebate off the diesel that I use. We pay off the credit cards before the month is out, usually as soon as the bill pops up on my credit card I pay the card. If I want to order something I don’t take as much cash that week or I save my allowance until I can afford what I want. DW never uses a credit card, she always has money and I’m always broke.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 06:52 AM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
Me and DW live on a weekly cash budget. We get our cash from the closest atm to our house. We budget our grocery, our eating out money. We both get a allowance, all in cash. I like using cash but I like getting a rebate off the diesel that I use. We pay off the credit cards before the month is out, usually as soon as the bill pops up on my credit card I pay the card. If I want to order something I don’t take as much cash that week or I save my allowance until I can afford what I want. DW never uses a credit card, she always has money and I’m always broke.
This is a great way to keep spending and budgets under control.

Bruce
Old 03-24-2019, 08:30 AM   #130

I don't think I've seen it mentioned yet but for those carrying cash, best find out the limit your insurance will cover should it get lost or stolen. In the past 20 years I've had debit card hacked, credit card hacked, and cash stolen, and I only use credit cards now. If I carry cash, it's very little. Do not carry or use a debit card anymore. Another benefit to using credit (or even debit) vs cash is that cash is untraceable should it get stolen. When your cards are stolen and used at stores or ATMs, they can use the timestamp of the card transaction and match with the timestamp on video surveillance to get an ID of the thieves. Not that it'll amount to anything (speaking from experience).
; 2019 - 29 nights; 2020 - 17 nights; 2021 - 10 nights
missonyxk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 09:46 AM   #131

I’m overly paranoid about credit card debt but enjoy the cash back. What I do is use it for absolutely everything, but pay what I’ve spent every day or 2. It’s easy via the bank app. I pay it out of an account where my “zero” is the amount required to keep the account free and anything above that is spending money. (Extra goes into a separate savings account.). So I get the benefit of cash back but when the money in the account gets low, I’m aware that I shouldn’t spend more. Lol if I spend too much, it would either sit on the cc, which would stress me, or cost me $30 in account fees for going under the minimum balance, and I’m waaaay too cheap for that!
Fluffywhitedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 03:00 PM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by missonyxk9 View Post
I don't think I've seen it mentioned yet but for those carrying cash, best find out the limit your insurance will cover should it get lost or stolen. In the past 20 years I've had debit card hacked, credit card hacked, and cash stolen, and I only use credit cards now. If I carry cash, it's very little. Do not carry or use a debit card anymore. Another benefit to using credit (or even debit) vs cash is that cash is untraceable should it get stolen. When your cards are stolen and used at stores or ATMs, they can use the timestamp of the card transaction and match with the timestamp on video surveillance to get an ID of the thieves. Not that it'll amount to anything (speaking from experience).

What do you do when the campground takes cash only? We carry cash, we have a safe. Nothing is sure but death and taxes but we try to be as safe as we can about carrying cash. My credit union is a member of the plus system whatever that is. Anyway we plan on trying it out next month around Kissimmee Florida. When we go out to eat we mostly pay with cash, the food servers like to be paid there tip in cash.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:05 PM   #133

Have never seen a public campground of any kind that had a cash only policy.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 11:03 PM   #134

Credit, Debit, or Cash, for fuel????

A great campground we like at Surf City NC is Blackbeard’s cash only or check. No credit cards. We camp at a campground in Georgia that’s cash only. We see more and more campgrounds cash only. I went to Bar Harbor Maine a few years ago, Bar Harbor campground no reservations and cash only.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:34 AM   #135

Gulf Waters Resort, FMB Florida. High end place. Cash or check only.
Rusty
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 06:43 AM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Have never seen a public campground of any kind that had a cash only policy.
One of the nicest (but very small) campgrounds I have stayed at, which is in WV, only accepted cash or check when I went there about five or six years ago. I don’t know if they have changed their policy since then.

EDIT: I just remembered the name of this campground is Pegasus Farm.

Bruce
Old 03-25-2019, 07:39 AM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
What do you do when the campground takes cash only? We carry cash, we have a safe. Nothing is sure but death and taxes but we try to be as safe as we can about carrying cash. My credit union is a member of the plus system whatever that is. Anyway we plan on trying it out next month around Kissimmee Florida. When we go out to eat we mostly pay with cash, the food servers like to be paid there tip in cash.

Nowhere did I say I didn't carry any cash; I said I carry very little. I know what my insurer will cover and I do not bring over that amount myself. My husband, on the other hand, don't get me started That being said, we haven't been to a cash-only campground yet, but we are just getting started.
; 2019 - 29 nights; 2020 - 17 nights; 2021 - 10 nights
missonyxk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 04:16 PM   #138

We have BLM and national park service campgrounds that require cash only,. You put it in an envelope and clip it to the site # post...honor system of sorts
Great bourbon-just about any of San Diego’s craft beer
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 06:29 PM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbourbon View Post
We have BLM and national park service campgrounds that require cash only,. You put it in an envelope and clip it to the site # post...honor system of sorts
Yep, same here for state parks. But the daily rate is so low, I might actually have enough cash on hand. But I have never seen a private park that took only cash. I know I never carry that much
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel