Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2019, 07:01 PM   #81

My credit card alerts me instantly via email if something is charged beyond the single-purchase limit I have set. Easy to keep track of what dw spends.

Lots of nice features on credit cards.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 06:13 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigH View Post
While I agree about both types being protected, I'm unsure what the benefit is to using your debit card instead of a credit card. I use the credit card for everything I can. I payoff the balance every month so it doesn't cost me anything and the bonus is I get about $600 a year free...just for using the card.

-Not trying to be critical...just curious.

Like you my one credit card has been compromised a couple of times without issue other than waiting for a new card...the two times that has happened I fall back on the debit card.
I didn’t imply that there is any benefit to using a debit card instead of a credit card. I would actually agree that there are more benefits using a credit card for purchases, as long as the balance is paid every month.

In response to other’s posts after yours regarding the theft and illegal use of debit card information; I have never had to wait to get my stolen money returned to my account — at least, not more than one day. Also, my debit card is monitored for fraud and I am alerted by the bank for suspicious activity. I also have an optional feature that will text me every time there is any sort of activity on my card. I think that my debit cards have all of the same safety features that most credit cards offer.

Bruce
Old 03-17-2019, 08:10 AM   #83

Me and DW normally carry cash but not own us. I don’t like to use a ATM as there is a fee to doing that. In our trip to Alaska I took Canadian cash plus America cash. I get cash from a local atm with my credit union for free but it’s not free after I leave the state
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 09:51 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
In response to other’s posts after yours regarding the theft and illegal use of debit card information; I have never had to wait to get my stolen money returned to my account — at least, not more than one day. Also, my debit card is monitored for fraud and I am alerted by the bank for suspicious activity. I also have an optional feature that will text me every time there is any sort of activity on my card. I think that my debit cards have all of the same safety features that most credit cards offer.

Bruce
We used to think the same thing about credit vs debit. We didn't realize that a cash transaction (atm or cash back) was treated differently than other purchases when it came to fraud resolution.

And in our case the thief used ATMs in towns we frequent - Tucson, Phoenix and Kingman AZ. In less than 10 hours (over night when my phone is silenced, so no notifications) they were able to take almost 3k. The credit card company caught them when they used it twice at Dollar General in Kingman and requested cash back of $600 each time. The transaction was cancelled, except for the cash back, which was gone. Apparently atm and cash back theft is investigated differently, so it was three weeks before we were reimbursed. Ouch.

Should the ATMs been caught earlier? I would of thought so, but they weren't. Just my story and what actually happened to us.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 09:52 AM   #85

I was just looking at my credit union and when I go to Disney I’ll have to look for the plus sign in Florida
Old 03-17-2019, 12:57 PM   #86
Enjoying Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
We used to think the same thing about credit vs debit. We didn't realize that a cash transaction (atm or cash back) was treated differently than other purchases when it came to fraud resolution.

And in our case the thief used ATMs in towns we frequent - Tucson, Phoenix and Kingman AZ. In less than 10 hours (over night when my phone is silenced, so no notifications) they were able to take almost 3k. The credit card company caught them when they used it twice at Dollar General in Kingman and requested cash back of $600 each time. The transaction was cancelled, except for the cash back, which was gone. Apparently atm and cash back theft is investigated differently, so it was three weeks before we were reimbursed. Ouch.

Should the ATMs been caught earlier? I would of thought so, but they weren't. Just my story and what actually happened to us.

Ouch!!

We put a terminal cash back limit on our cards. No more than $100 per transaction/ $400 max per day. If we need more, we go to the bank/CU in person and can request more.

2006 Durango HEMI

TeachTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 01:21 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeachTexas View Post
Ouch!!

We put a terminal cash back limit on our cards. No more than $100 per transaction/ $400 max per day. If we need more, we go to the bank/CU in person and can request more.
Good idea!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 08:39 AM   #88
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
I think he's saying movie theatres will start to disappear, not movies. People are just changing where they watch movies. A lot of people now have big screen 4K televisions and theatre sound systems at home and you can stream 4K and HD movies on a smart TVs using Netflix and other online so services.

The theatre experience around here has changed to large recliners but the admission and concession prices are outrageous.
That's great for movies that have been released on home video months after they have been released in theaters. A lot of people can't wait that long. Heck a lot of people will pay more to get into pre-release screenings if it's a movie they really want to see.

I checked and the number of theaters has increased steadily over the last 20 years. They aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

Sure admission prices have increased but as long as people are still willing to pay them, they'll continue to charge them.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 08:58 AM   #89

Quote:
Yep, both credit and debit cards are protected against fraud. The difference is the time to get your money back.

We have had both stolen over our travels. Credit card fraud was corrected usually in a day or two with no funds lost for us.

Debit card refunds took weeks in which our accounts were missing those stolen funds causing us to have to transfer money to cover. The thief created a new card with our info and used it at ATMs and for cash back. The funds were gone immediately. We eventually got all our money back, but it was a major pain. I believe it was just over three weeks.

I don't ever use our debit cards anymore except at the bank itself.

Our money took 24 hours for our debit card to be put back. Then we were told that if it was discovered that the transaction was not fraudulent that the money would be pulled without notice and a service charge would apply.

Yay we do not have that bank any more
tyler811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 09:28 AM   #90

Our credit union informed me and the DW to always use the credit card when traveling issued by them. An if you use the debit card do not use ATM's out of the local area since these are treated differently. The other precaution was to do your transactions at a bank or store with cash back and do not use the ATM's. Why? Card readers installed in ATM's by thieves.

Another thing we have learned to do (since we do not full time) when traveling is to notify the agency that issue the cards what states we will be traveling through and when we will be back home. I have had cards shut off when we tried to use them out of state and the card holders did not know we were traveling. I also use just one card for fuel and fuel only. The other card we carry is for all other purchases such as grocery stores and so forth. The fuel card will not allow cash back. This is tied to a grocery store chain an you can fuel up anywhere you want to use it.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:35 AM   #91

Quote:

Thank you!

Bruce
Old 03-21-2019, 06:17 PM   #92

Shell card if at all possible. Using card gets .05 off/gallon and also use Fuel Rewards for another .05 off/gallon. Plus, Shell is Tier 1 gas additive package and I can tell the difference in mileage over several tankfuls compared to the discount/non-major fuels.
2011 Ford F-150 3.5 Twin Turbo
2018 Wildwood X-Lite 273QBXL
Pococj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 06:25 PM   #93

First, there is no nationwide system.

Many States are now charging more for credit cards. Some card processors may be charging for debit cards, but I have not seen that. Usually cash and debit cards are the same. The merchant fee to the card processor is usually not the same for credit and debit cards. Debit cards usually carry a minimal charge as there is no credit loss risk.

If you have a rewards card as one poster mentioned, then use the credit card as you get the advantage of float. Float is delayed paying by he number of days it takes to post the transaction and when you must pay the your credit card bill.

I was a banker for 50 years and helped start Master Card or as it was called then Master Charge Card.

Hoped this helped.

p.s. If you do not have a rewards card, get one. We save thousands of dollars a year with one.
Big bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 07:44 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. October View Post
Apparently the price for processing chip cards is a lot higher than prior to chip cards. I made a campground reservation yesterday for a place that decided to forgo accepting credit cards rather than pass along the cost. Cash only and no deposit required.
I take credit cards in my business, the cost for chip cards is lower than for swipe or manual entries because they are more secure.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:56 PM   #95

Cash is king!

I have started using cash for the last 3 months for 2 reasons:

1. Same as what you stated, most stations now charge more for using debit or credit cards. It adds up!

2. Most importantly, my credit cards have been compromised 3 times in 2 months at gas stations. Over $1000 each time with fraudulent charges. It’s becoming more prevalent at gas stations nation wide.

It has now become my habit to get cash at my bank every couple of weeks for gas. Not too inconvenient for better results!
estroop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 08:01 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by estroop View Post
I have started using cash for the last 3 months for 2 reasons:

1. Same as what you stated, most stations now charge more for using debit or credit cards. It adds up!

2. Most importantly, my credit cards have been compromised 3 times in 2 months at gas stations. Over $1000 each time with fraudulent charges. It’s becoming more prevalent at gas stations nation wide.

It has now become my habit to get cash at my bank every couple of weeks for gas. Not too inconvenient for better results!
1. I save money over cash because of the credit card rebate.
2. It is a problem, always look for the fake reader when using a pump, they can be hard to spot though.
3. The nearest bank to my house is 16 miles away, I don't go there often.
4. Cash is much less convenient than a card at a gas station, no need to go inside and wait for the desk clerk then go out and gas, return in to get change etc etc.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:19 PM   #97

On a long trip it is hard for me to get cash without a fee. I pay for diesel with my PenFed credit card, it pays back five percent. I also carry Bank of America, it pays three percent on diesel and one percent on most other stuff. I keep the cards checked every night on my iPad. I know if someone has my card number. I call the card companies and tell them where I’m traveling at. What states I’ll be in and usually tell them my destination. About the only time I visit my credit union is emptying my granddaughters piggy bank to put in her college fund
Old 03-21-2019, 08:32 PM   #98
Tony Rpod 180

Gas Buddy

I use the “Gas Buddy” card, it is linked to bank account and I save .05 per gallon at most all stations, except Exxon, Sams club, and a few more.
Been using card for 2 years and no issues so far.
They do have a daily $$ limit which I have met several times, in that case I use a credit card with rewards so I’m still saving $$.
Tony K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 09:01 PM   #99
Jayhawker

CitiBank cash back credit card 4% on gas year round. Chase Freedom cash back card 5% on gas January, February and March 2019. Discover credit card 5% cash back April, May and June 2019. At $ 2.50 a gallon 4% would be .10 cents a gallon savings. $2.50 a gallon 5% would be 12.5 cents per gallon savings as an example.
Attached Images

Jayhawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 09:06 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawker View Post
CitiBank cash back credit card 4% on gas year round. Chase Freedom cash back card 5% on gas January, February and March 2019. Discover credit card 5% cash back April, May and June 2019.
Of course Chase does that in the 3 least desirable driving months. I rarely use that type of Chase card anymore.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel