Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2010, 11:57 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Crisis Room (idea)

To whom it may concern, there is an occasional post on here where someone is camping, and has a problem they need immediate assistance with. While posting this problem in their particular camper section may get them an answer, it may take a while for someone to come along and read their post. I'm on a motorcycle forum that has a CRISIS ROOM posting, for those that are out, broke down, major problem, etc, with no other way home. I was just wondering should we start a CRISIS ROOM here for when you are camping, and your hot water doesn't work, or your electrical goes out, etc. I realize that we will get some post that aren't really a crisis, i.e. the camper is still in the driveway and they aren't leaving for two weeks, but for some it may help. I have read and answered a few post where people have a new camper and little hot water, and the fix was the bypass valve. Maybe we could use this to help each other on the road. If incorporated, would be ready for the next camping season, as, sadly, this one is about over for most of us fair weather campers. It's just a thought. Trying to be helpful and make this site more useful than it already is. I also realize that some problems will be camper specific, but for most of the major crisis, campers are pretty generic. It could also be used in case somebody is close enough by to ride out and give them a hand. At least that's how it works in the motorcycle community, and campers are a lot like motorcyclist, they stick together, and lend each other a hand when needed.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 07:27 AM   #2

i believe that is an idea that needs to be persued.
from reading some of the post, a lot of RVers take internet access with them (myself included).
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 08:27 AM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

I think that is an awesome idea.
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 08:42 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

Wink Not to be a spoilsport

While the idea does have merit, (and I really do think so), if you search the Internet for "funny" 911 calls you might be shocked at what some folks think are "emergencies."

My biggest concern here is that the "Crisis Room" would quickly fill with disjointed and broken threads. It would be a moderating nightmare to move the information asked/provided to the correct area of the forum in order to be able to find it again.

It has been my experience, that unless the question has been VERY specific (like "Does anyone have a ABCD1234 model coach?) the post is answered within hours normally.

There is also the "search" button on the menu bar. This is one of the BEST RV forums out there. I am willing to bet that any emergency question has already been asked and the answer is here somewhere. The secret I have found is to only use one or two search key words. If you use too many you will get "no hits." It is easier to use too few, and then add one and search again to narrow your thread choices.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:31 AM   #5
Wanna Be Camper

I agree with the concept, however I think Lou hit it on the nailhead. The search function usually leads one to the answer most times faster than actually asking and then waiting for a response which depending on what you asked could take from minutes to many hours. Also with the way the forum displays new posts the question would be seen regardless.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:48 AM   #6

I agree with you about this forum getting answers pretty quickly, indeed! I know a lot of us (Myself, for one) check this forum daily, sometimes 3 or 4 times a day, if I'm home. I really enjoy helping others, if I can. I think it works good as is. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 12:41 PM   #7

Good idea but members will have to checkthe room on a very regular basis.
I don't know about the rest of you but I watch the "Recent Threads"column on the right of the screen. If someone was in need of help right away they could title their thread "Stranded - Need Help With".... or something similar.
Old 10-24-2010, 02:41 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

The snowmobile forum I mod on has an "emergency room". Mind you getting a sled fixed is important since we're dealing w/ a short season.

Maybe a prefix could be agreed on for these kind of threads, to make them noticed in the New Posts section. On the road, @ a campsite or getting ready to depart, would be situations where this "rule" would apply. If you're putting the RV away for the offseason, you couldn't post w/ the prefix in the topic title.

https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 06:56 PM   #9
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by backin15 View Post
Good idea but members will have to check the room on a very regular basis.
I don't know about the rest of you but I watch the "Recent Threads"column on the right of the screen. If someone was in need of help right away they could title their thread "Stranded - Need Help With".... or something similar.
I like this idea. I would certainly click there first if I saw that.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:11 PM   #10
Infractee

https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

Brilliant idea! The folder could be named I.C.E. (In Case of Emergency) or something similar and the threads could all start with "STRANDED" or "HELP" or "WTF" or somesuch.

as an aside, what is the over/under on how many days go by before the first noob starts a thread in the ICE section asking about what kind of terlet paper they should use in their camper?
I am going to set the line at 20 days, I am open to moving the line either way depending on who is laying odds and what the amount is....
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 07:44 PM   #11
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoZeta View Post
Brilliant idea! The folder could be named I.C.E. (In Case of Emergency) or something similar and the threads could all start with "STRANDED" or "HELP" or "WTF" or somesuch.

as an aside, what is the over/under on how many days go by before the first noob starts a thread in the ICE section asking about what kind of terlet paper they should use in their camper?
I am going to set the line at 20 days, I am open to moving the line either way depending on who is laying odds and what the amount is....
Eh, this is why I did not think a separate folder was the right way to manage this. If STRANDED was put in the Title bar it would show up in the right hand pane like that regardless of what folder it was placed in. That way "STRANDED - SLIDE STUCK" responses would come from and be stored in the Slide Folder but would be an attention grabber.

The POST ICONS could also be used but they do NOT appear in the current thread menu bar on the right, so STRANDED still works.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:54 PM   #12
Infractee

The name of the thread is the one that shows up on the R/H pane, irregardless of which folder it is in.
I am not sure how this would be a problem?
Old 10-24-2010, 11:06 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I started this thread, and when I joined this Forum it was a nice to be, because it mostly was about camping trailers and motor homes. I used to take the time to read every new post, every day, but after a couple of years, I have grown weary. This is Forrest River Forums, so why do we have a thread with somebody wanting to know the best "airlink" card? Why do we have threads on what a Suburban, of a Doge Ram, or a 150 can pull? Why do we have threads on which campground is best in Montana? I don't care what size television you have in your RV, or what brand. I joined because I have a camper, and while I'm not against these threads, there are other websites that answer these question better than this one could. I am like most, and try to help, and seems the new moderators have tolerated these post, and I hope the folks posting have gotten satisfactory answers. I never intended to start a long discussion, and yes, it will be pain to moderate. I camp, in the woods, no television, no wifi, no cell phone, so adding this would not help me, but to some, seems they have to go camping with these things. To me camping is depicted in the "gorving" commercials, get out and look at the stars. When one has trouble out there, they may not have internet access, so it may be a mute point. I just know we helped a guy get out of the dessert last month, instead of walking 50 miles. Thought it might work to help someone complete their camping trip instead of cutting it short because of problems. Not everyone has the manuals with them, or loaded on a laptop. Will it be hard to moderate? Yes, but the let the moderators earn some money for doing their job. This site was fun when run by donations, now it is becoming littered with ads from outside companies. We're bombarded with adds daily, and now we can't even get our "pastime" site without seeing more. It's not up to me, or you, it's up to them. I just thought it may help someone sometime, and who knows, it might be you or I.

Sorry for the long post, and by the way, the last post to the "crisis room" on the motorcycle forum today was:... Some guy washed his bike at home, and now it doesn't run right. When asked if he drove a car to work, answer "yes" he got moved to another thread.

2008 Work and Play 18LT
Old 10-25-2010, 07:29 AM   #14
Site Team - Lou

I want to thank you for starting the thread as it has started a lively discussion about how best to help folks. This is why we are here really.

We have all helped, and been helped by, the members who post here.

I realise that a question to the RV forum about which gun oil is best for a particular semi-automatic action "might" be inappropriate here; however I feel that if a member has a question about his or her camper or their accessories, he or she should be given forum space to air it.

There ARE folders here for "slightly off topic" posts. How to hook up your Wii to the Concertone has a place here as well as "STRANDED - My Slide Won't Close"; just not in the Plumbing section.

I will be more than happy to entertain most any reasonable question. The moderators can nix it, and I won't much worry about it as I am sure they will tell me why it was inappropriate for the forum.

As to ads, sites that run on donations fail, because folks don't. Sites that cost money to run, fail when the originator gets tired of paying so others can benefit (can take a while sometimes but is inevitable). Soliciting ads (and viewing them) to keep a great site up and running is a very small price to pay for an otherwise free product.

I apologize as this went longer than I wanted.
I read back through it though, and still hit "submit"
Old 10-25-2010, 07:54 AM   #15
Site Team

I'll ditto what Lou said.

I have no issue with someone wanting to know which aircard is best to have camping or what's the best tires for my TV. What I have a problem with is threads with meaningless titles. Like help! or You won't believe this! I usually won't even open those.

However if someone put Stranded, my tongue jack won't go up or, Stranded, my slides won't close, you can bet I'll click on those first. By the same token, if you just put "Stranded" as a title I may or may not read that as it doesn't give me a clue whether I can help or not.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:48 PM   #16

X2 for Lou. I would certainly check such a forum to see if we could help but I sure would hope never to need to make use of it myself. Old Guys
P.S. The ads don't bother me as I am old enough to chose what I want to read.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:05 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry, didn't mean to blast the adds. I know the world runs on money, and you have to make it where you can. Hopefully others have read this now, and while there may never be a need for a "Crisis Room", and I hope there never is, I hope we have all learned to label and emergency, just that, and emergency, and not be like the little boy crying wolf because he was lonely. Lou, thanks for the comments, and I can see you know something about airplanes as I am a private pilot myself. In the airplane world, there are few emergencies, just a different set of procedures to follow when things don't go as originally planned. At least that is what my instructor kept saying.....

2008 Work and Play 18LT
Old 10-25-2010, 09:51 PM   #18
Cyber Phrenologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
I have no issue with someone wanting to know which aircard is best to have camping or what's the best tires for my TV.
Me either. If a thread has no interest to me, I simply don't read it. Problem solved.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:21 PM   #19
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
In the airplane world, there are few emergencies, just a different set of procedures to follow when things don't go as originally planned. At least that is what my instructor kept saying.....
Well after 33 years in a 4 engine Air Force cargo plane I can tell you he is right. While I had my share (some would say more than my fair share) of emergencies in that time, if I had an emergency every time I took off I would have quit long ago.

However, I can tell you that I learned something new EVERY time I flew and was still learning on my "Fini" flight.

I can tell you as well that I learn something new every time the camper goes out (and I get a "little better" at backing every time).
Old 10-25-2010, 10:27 PM   #20
Infractee

As our pilots like to say
"hours and hours of absolute boredom randomly punctuated with seconds of sheer terror"