Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2016, 01:56 PM   #1

Cross Country Trip Soon From CA to NY

Help ! We bought our new 2016 Forrester 22 ft. motorhome last fall, and have taken two short beach camping trips. We are leaving in about a week to drive 3,000 miles across the country to visit family in upstate NY. I will be doing all the driving. Passengers will be my husband and two of our dogs. I am terrified! We have planned to take the old HWY. 66 mid route going and the northern route coming back. BUT, the triple digit heat and rattlesnakes in AZ, NM, TX, OK scares me! Should we change plans and take the northern route both ways instead?
ToniandSal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 06:17 PM   #2

Have not done a cross country trip yet but just wanted to say have a wonderful time. I run my generator when driving so I can have the coach ac on and that keeps us comfortable. Keep us posted and safe travels!
Debbie
Old 06-13-2016, 07:12 AM   #3
Traveling Two

We are on our third cross country trip starting in Oregon and have been as far Maine and Key West in hot and cold weather without a problem. We have no pets and travel in a 22 foot TT. Been in all 48 states.
jerryliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 07:17 AM   #4
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryliving View Post
We are on our third cross country trip starting in Oregon and have been as far Maine and Key West in hot and cold weather without a problem. We have no pets and travel in a 22 foot TT. Been in all 48 states.
Our first RV trip EVER was from MA to Orlando, FL. That trip was only 1400 miles but still quite far for a first trip.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 07:51 AM   #5

Take I-40 across to I-81, that will get you into NY. Coming back take I-70 or I-80 to the West Coast. I-40 parallels Rt 66 in a lot of places. Once you finish the trip you will be hooked on more travel. Don't get nervous and jerky your driving across the US not a moon shot. You know the language and the money, no passport required, your good to go.

btritschler1437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 12:16 PM   #6

The Cross Country Trip

I'm sure I will be OK once we get through the hot desert. It's the triple digit desert heat, with dogs to care for, etc. that have me worried. Will be praying the AC doesn't give out! Honestly, I planned and drove a 6 speed manual Peugeot around France for a month in 2011. That was less stress to plan, I think because France is roughly the size of Texas ! I love our motorhome and our two little dogs love it too!
Old 06-13-2016, 01:37 PM   #7

I've made this trip 2 times in the past 2 years. Take your time and enjoy the beautiful country we live in. Both I-40 and I-70/I-80 are good routes and plenty to see.
pcbikenski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 02:14 PM   #8

From looking at websites for overnights at campgrounds I am excited to see the midwest. I love the green!
Old 06-13-2016, 04:45 PM   #9

been across from home (VT) to San Jose to see the kids many times. Started in a 21 foot MH and then a 25 footer and now a 32 footer. Only thing that ever bothers me is the high winds out west. Have never seen a snake but have seen lots of road runners!
I run 70 or 80 or 40 and then 81 north to NY depending on where I need to go. What part of NY are you going to? I did the northern route once and won't do that again. Just to boring for the both of us. Either way there is lots to see coming and going. You will be thrilled at the good old USA!

wogden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:45 PM   #10

I have driven cross-country, coast to coast at least 19 times in a variety of vehicles, including a 1967 Corvette (no AC), a 1973 Chevy Surfer Van (no AC), a 1993 Ford Chateau Club Wagon, towing a 24-foot TT, and a 2008 Chevy Silverado Diesel, towing a 30-foot TT. Last trip we logged 12,500 miles between Long Beach, CA and Stone Harbor, NJ, for the 50th Anniversary of the start of my lifeguarding career. Do not fear. This is an adventure that you and your family will look back upon with fond memories.

Do not look at this as a point-to-point drive. Look upon this adventure as an opportunity to see some of the most wondrous sights in the entire world. I-40 parallels much of old Route 66, and I would recommend spending an overnight in Williams, AZ, just south of the Grand Canyon. Spend a day or two exploring the area. I-40 takes you east into Flagstaff, past the Meteor Crate, then Winslow, AZ, and on into Gallup, New Mexico, a great place for an overnight stay. Further east is Albuquerque, and farther north Santa Fe, NM. Santa Fe is worth a side trip. Best Southwestern Cuisine in the world. You may want to cut north on _25 from Santa Fe into the Denver area and catch I-70 on your way East. It is at higher altitude than I-40, and cooler. East of Denver its pretty much flat prairie and farm country, but I-70 will take you into Kansas City, St. Louis, Indianapolis, Columbus, OH, and other cities worth visiting. Take time to taste the local cuisine.

I wish we could go with you. Your trip will definitely whet your appetite for more adventures with your RV and your puppies!!
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 10:35 AM   #11

If you are traveling in good northern weather? That is what I would do. Having lived in Texas for 45 years I wonder why anyone would travel thru those states listed during the summer. We don't RV anywhere near SE Texas during the summer. The summer is for up north! Have a great trip and I hope you have nice cool weather in upstate NY.
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote