Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2015, 10:24 AM   #1
DnL

Crows on the roof

Can anyone share a trick or two for keeping the crows (and other birds) off the RV roof. They seem to think my fiberglass roof is a perfect platform for tap dancing and community squawking sessions starting at about 5:00 each morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
DnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 10:30 AM   #2

Pellet gun? Just don't hit the camper.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 10:42 AM   #3
DnL

I thought about that, but then I got worried about the neighbors shooting back. 😁

DnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 10:45 AM   #4

My dad uses fake toy snakes to keep birds out of places they should not be like under decks and overhangs. Seems to work well. Don't know about a crow, they are some smart birds.
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 11:42 AM   #5

Go to Tractor Supply or Wal-Mart and get a fake Owl
gizmojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DnL View Post
I thought about that, but then I got worried about the neighbors shooting back. ��

Don't worry about that Very Few Birds carry Guns! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:03 PM   #7

Crow Dancing

We just enjoy them. They have a neat bo jangles routine they do sometimes. I think one of them plays a little banjo. You're in the bosom of nature, man, enjoy it.
flugelboneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmojohn View Post
Go to Tractor Supply or Wal-Mart and get a fake Owl
I've got an owl - head even turns slowly if there's a breeze.... But crows have figured out its not real, so I'd try the snake suggestion! Lol
ottawapaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 01:18 PM   #9
Canadian Full Timer

When we had a woodpecker on our house years ago, we bought holographic tape from Lee Valley and fastened about two or three feet of it on a strong stick and mounted it with tape near the chimney. I am not sure if that would work for you or not. Taping it so it was about two feet above roof level could work. You might also try raising the vent (although this means getting out of bed a couple of mornings really early) and lowering it, a couple of times to get rid of them. After a couple of days they may be gone.

Just as an afterthought, birds may be a protected species in that area, so be careful if you should choose the pellet gun.
Cherokeerose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 01:24 PM   #10

We also had a woodpecker, pecking holes on the side of our house. We bought one of those wind things that has several long legs that blow in the wind and attached it to the house. That kept the woodpeckers away. It might work on the trailer. I am thinking about doing the same thing on my trailer. I seem to be having birds that land on my trailer top and ladder. They are pooping on my trailer top.
txredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 01:27 PM   #11

Get a cat
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 02:53 PM   #12

I have an Owl too. It's solar powered and the head rotates back and forth. You have to move it around so the birds and rodents don't figure it out. The neighborhood kids think it's a surveillance camera. I didn't tell them any different. keeps em honest.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 06:46 AM   #13

Just FYI, I have seen a crow flying away with a garden snake out of the dunes before...
Old 07-28-2015, 07:53 AM   #14

I don't know about the owl....but I put up a hawk from Ace and it has worked great for the past 2 years......GL

Old 07-28-2015, 09:44 AM   #15

We have trouble with Crackles nesting in our Pines in the spring,,, then when it comes time to clean the nest they use our asphalt driveway as a target,,, some times there is sooooo much bird crap on the driveway you have trouble finding a place to walk !!!
Tried the Fake Owl,,, did not work,,, may have not gotten it out early enough,,, so went the pellet riffle,,, they did not like it,,, but they keep coming back !!!
May go with a 4/10 next spring !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 03:23 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
We have trouble with Crackles nesting in our Pines in the spring,,, then when it comes time to clean the nest they use our asphalt driveway as a target,,, some times there is sooooo much bird crap on the driveway you have trouble finding a place to walk !!!
Tried the Fake Owl,,, did not work,,, may have not gotten it out early enough,,, so went the pellet riffle,,, they did not like it,,, but they keep coming back !!!
May go with a 4/10 next spring !!!

Just go 20 gauge. .410 ammo is very expensive.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 08:46 PM   #17

depending on the state you in some protect them or have a season. here in Michigan there is a season, BUT you can shot them if they are damaging property out of season. So check it out. If you can shoot them if you can shoot one, put a string on his leg tie that to a stick flying close by, crows are smart and will stay clear for a while.
We used to do this at our corn cribs back in the day. course that was food!! it would keep them away for a week or to. then all you got to do is shoot the gun off and they get the idea real fast, as long as their friend is flying at half mast.
Dale Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 09:20 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Carol View Post
depending on the state you in some protect them or have a season. here in Michigan there is a season, BUT you can shot them if they are damaging property out of season. So check it out. If you can shoot them if you can shoot one, put a string on his leg tie that to a stick flying close by, crows are smart and will stay clear for a while.
We used to do this at our corn cribs back in the day. course that was food!! it would keep them away for a week or to. then all you got to do is shoot the gun off and they get the idea real fast, as long as their friend is flying at half mast.

Something back in Arkansas. Monday is a no killing day on crows because of it being the Mexico national bird. Could have been told a lie but was told that was agreement between Ducks Unlimited and Mexico about migration.

Not sure about the smell in the campground. Do know if you can cripple the first one the others will attack it. If you kill the first one the hunt is over.

arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 06:43 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
Just go 20 gauge. .410 ammo is very expensive.
I was not sure they still made .410,,, I have neighbors so I would have to be very carful !!! I am also not real sure we are talking about the same birds,,, our problem in with Crackles,,, but many of us call them Crows ???

I do not mind there being birds around,,, we feed many different ones,,,
Just when they start to clean there nest it is a freaking Mess !!!

I know what ever I do I must start Early Spring !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 06:56 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
I was not sure they still made .410,,, I have neighbors so I would have to be very carful !!! I am also not real sure we are talking about the same birds,,, our problem in with Crackles,,, but many of us call them Crows ???

I do not mind there being birds around,,, we feed many different ones,,,
Just when they start to clean there nest it is a freaking Mess !!!

I know what ever I do I must start Early Spring !!!
I think that you are talking about (Grackles)? They are large black birds that travel in large flocks! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof